Feet are bulking up since wearing VFF! (Read 737 times)

Don't overstride!

I have been running almost exclusively in Vibram Five Fingers and all my old shoes are now getting pretty tight. Has anyone else experienced this?

VFFs encourage more toe splay, so it's not very surprising. But it's also possible your feet might be a bit banged up and swollen/inflamed. Another thing not to be discounted is that you might be used to the feeling of the VFFs, but the shoes, especially if you wear them with socks, suddenly feel suffocating.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Wait til you start running barefoot or in shoes that really let your toes do their thing (like Soft Stars)... That'll spoil you for the VFFs too!

(Seriously, I don't fit in my old shoes anymore - running or street. And, I don't fit into my VFFs either... and they drive now me nuts, constraining my toes to those contrived pockets.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Don't overstride!

Buzzie,

How long did it take you to build your soles of your feet for running? I would like to transition to barefoot in the spring. My street shoes are also tight! My feet feel fine when not wearing shoes no swelling or anything.

Dave

I ran barefoot as a kid. My mom saved a picture for me: 

#artbydmcbride

Big grin

Runners run

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I only run barefoot.  My feet got shorter and wider.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Buzzie,

How long did it take you to build your soles of your feet for running? I would like to transition to barefoot in the spring. My street shoes are also tight! My feet feel fine when not wearing shoes no swelling or anything.

Dave

It took me about 4 or 5 months to be able to do 5mi on asphalt. Had to gradually add mileage and adopt good form to make it happen. This is a picture of me in recent 5mi Turkey Trot - someone took it and posted it in their blog with a "Holy Cow" comment! LOL

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Don't overstride!

Big grin

You were such a cute baby! LOL!