Who's Running Dallas? (do we do this here?) (Read 602 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I don't see any other "who's running..." threads around here, so apologies if I'm making a newbie mistake.

Anyone running White Rock The MetroPCS Dallas Marathon this Sunday?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

xor

You aren't making a newbie mistake that I am aware of.  I personally would have put it in the "Racing" area, but this is fine.

You might also dive into the user groups and see if someone at some point made a group for this race. That happens sometimes, but not others.

I am not running it this year.  Have many times... my parents live in Dallas.

The second line of my sig is from the email they sent to all past runners explaining the "EXCITING" news that the White Rock Marathon had changed its name to the Dallas Marathon.  So exciting!

Good luck.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Oh, I am excited about the name change.  I mean, "White Rock?"  Yawn.  But throw corporate labeling on it?  A cell phone company, no less?  Clearly I could PR at such an event!

I discovered over Thanksgiving that my aunt and uncle lived near the course.  Way back when it was boring ol' White Rock.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on this new wilderness I find myself in.  I like it here, I just haven't had much time to figure things out.  Like how to get my avatar up (I went through the process that looked like it was supposed to work, but it never did).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I can't see a group for WR Dallas Marathon

I'm planning on trundling round the full. I know Brian (KerCanDo140) is doing the half.

Are you doing the full or the half mab?

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

xor

>> Like how to get my avatar up (I went through the process that looked like it was supposed to work, but it never did).

You probably loaded a picture into your profile (which I can't see because you haven't set it to show publicly).

Your forum avatar is loaded in a different place... go back into Options and look under Forum Preferences.  Thar she blows.

I'm planning on trundling round the full. I know Brian (KerCanDo140) is doing the half.

Yep, I'm doing the half.  It's a "C" race for me, and I hope to either pace a friend to a decent time, or be paced by that same friend.  In other words, I'm running it, but not 'racing' it.  (I signed up last Friday morning when this same friend told me it was the last day to sign up).

I've seen the Dallas 'bridge to no where' for the past few years, but haven't driven over it before.  I'm *excited* about the new course and having the opportunity to run to over that expensive bridge that nobody uses.

Truly, though, I like the new course, and the fact that we run next to Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (recipient of many $$$ thanks to this race).  Both my boys have been patients there for years, and I love to support this hospital.  I've driven that road many times, but never run along those roads.

Good luck, y'all!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

My daughter was a patient there, too. Smile
                mab411

Proboscis Colossus

>> Like how to get my avatar up (I went through the process that looked like it was supposed to work, but it never did).

You probably loaded a picture into your profile (which I can't see because you haven't set it to show publicly).

Your forum avatar is loaded in a different place... go back into Options and look under Forum Preferences.  Thar she blows.

Thanks, that's probably exactly what I did.  Like your new one, though it's going to take some getting used to, and will chisel at my feeling that I'm speaking to John Belushi.

Anyway, I'm running the full, and I am indeed going for a PR.  Pfitz has had his way with me for the past 17.5 weeks, so we'll see if that bears fruit.

Good luck to you too, Brian!  I paced my wife for her first half at Tulsa a couple weeks ago.  It was really fun, and resulted in an interesting marathon experience for me, though I don't have time to go into it now.

My daughter was a patient there, too. Smile

It's a great hospital! 

They take care of the kids and make an enjoyable experience even when things aren't enjoyable. 

From the old man that hands popcorn to the kids or the phlebotomists (blood takers) that hand out baseball cards after making you cry or the free pharmaceuticals for the expensive medications or the crayons on the walls or the doctors who call you on the weekends or the evenings to discuss the research they're working on with your child, or the 'needle in a haystack' DNA discovery for your childs' medical mystery. 

Interestingly, all of those things I've experienced there and those things are engrained in my memory of that hospital. 

This'll be 5 years in a row that I run this race.

I began racing so that I can participate in the Dallas Marathon (fka The White Rock Marathon) and support this hospital in thanks for finding the medical mystery condition that my boys have.

Fantastic memories there, and I look forward to running alongside there Sunday morning!

Cheers,
                    Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

It's a great hospital! 

They take care of the kids and make an enjoyable experience even when things aren't enjoyable. 

From the old man that hands popcorn to the kids or the phlebotomists (blood takers) that hand out baseball cards after making you cry or the free pharmaceuticals for the expensive medications or the crayons on the walls or the doctors who call you on the weekends or the evenings to discuss the research they're working on with your child, or the 'needle in a haystack' DNA discovery for your childs' medical mystery. 

Interestingly, all of those things I've experienced there and those things are engrained in my memory of that hospital. 

This'll be 5 years in a row that I run this race.

I began racing so that I can participate in the Dallas Marathon (fka The White Rock Marathon) and support this hospital in thanks for finding the medical mystery condition that my boys have.

Fantastic memories there, and I look forward to running alongside there Sunday morning!

Cheers,
                      Brian

Agreed! When we went to our first appointment in 92, my infant daughter and I ended up staying 3 weeks. Everyone made it a positive experience for us. I can't say enough wonderful things about the volunteers. We still went for check ups throughout dd's teen years. I actually miss that place. Thanks for supporting it by running!
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

I personally would have put it in the "Racing" area

This.

xor

The road to purd-ition.

Purdey

Self anointed title

The road to purd-ition.

Your puns know no ends.

joescott

I am in for a PR attempt, God willing.  Not too excited about how the weather appears to be shaping up.  A bit on the warm side.  Possibly windy.  Hoping that cold front that;'s supposed to come through Sunday night pulls into Saturday night instead.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

pepperjack

pie man

I like that I can say I ran the last White Rock Marathon ever...

Wasn't it was the Cell Phone Company White Rock Marathon last year?

Hope it doesn't rain so much this year for y'all.  Other than that it was pretty perfect to me.

11:11 3,000 (recent)