Half Marathon Training and Sickness (Read 59 times)

jmastrilli

Hi, I'm new here and thought you guys might be able to help.

I have a half marathon on December 15th (2 weeks). Last weekend I did 11 miles for my long run, this past week I had a 5k Race for Thanksgiving and ended up getting a cold. I am finally recovering, but did not run this weekend (was scheduled for 12 miles). I have read that I am supposed to taper my last long run before the half marathon to about 6-9 miles. But with me being sick this weekend and not running 12 miles, I feel like I jeopardized my training. How should I go about running the next 2 weeks? Thank you for any advice!

an amazing likeness

Your training miles are already in the tank -- stuffing more in now will not do much to prepare you for the 15th.  The best thing you can do is to get healthy and show up to the race fresh and not impacted by the cold.

Not knowing your base level of training, I'd be reluctant to say more specifically "run this" or "run that".  But a steady diet of shorter runs between now and race day will serve you better than stuffing in the missed 12 miles and then taking days off.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

He's right.  I bet you'll do fine. Smile