Regular bugs during data transfer (Read 71 times)

Zamor

Hello;

Very often, when I transfer the data from my GArmin 350 GPS to RunningAhead, I get a bug. Apparently it is the Garmin Communicator plugin that is at fault.

My browser is Firefox v22

My OS is Windows 7 Family Premium

Here's the message I get when I Import my latest workout from my Garmin Forerunner:

"There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.

Most of the time, this error can be fixed by first disconnecting the GPS from the computer, then holding onto the Mode and Reset buttons on the GPS for several seconds"

Can anyone help please?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get this when there are more than a few weeks worth of workouts on my 305.  If I delete everything on the Garmin at least every 3-4 weeks it uploads fast and without a hitch.  This seems to be the work-around many of us have found.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It could be a connection issue with the USB and or cradle. I get that same message from time to time with my Edge 305 cycling unit.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm running Firefox and Windows 7 and get that message every time.  The only way I can upload is to totally reboot my computer each time I want to upload from the Garmin 305.

Zamor

Hi zoom-zoom

For me I dont think this is the problem. See, today, I had only 1 workout to upload and the issue happened 3 times before it finally worked. And usually, it is never more than 2-3 workouts that I need to upload.

Thanks anyway!

I get this when there are more than a few weeks worth of workouts on my 305.  If I delete everything on the Garmin at least every 3-4 weeks it uploads fast and without a hitch.  This seems to be the work-around many of us have found.

an amazing likeness

When this happens, I most often find that the cause is the Garmin driver is apparently not able to keep up with the data stream coming from the device over USB.  The device has completed the transfer with no errors, and the Garmin agent is still in transfer mode and believes it is still receiving the data.  All the evidence I've been able to collect (on Wintel-based systems, at least) is that the Garmin USB driver can't handle fast USB transfers reliably.

I find that when the driver fails to transfer the data you can either (1) wait for the Garmin USB driver to timeout and reset itself, or (2) close the broswer, and connect the USB connection to another USB port to make the driver restart itself.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I got that same error semi-regularly with my 305, and it did seem to be tied to how long it had been since I purged the garmin memory. Closing the browser and turning the garmin on and back off usually solved the problem. It didn't happen often enough that I considered it a real problem, though, more a minor annoyance since I could get it to work with the extra step or two. I recently switched to the 210 and it hasn't happened yet, but there isn't much stored on it yet, either.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi zoom-zoom

For me I dont think this is the problem. See, today, I had only 1 workout to upload and the issue happened 3 times before it finally worked. And usually, it is never more than 2-3 workouts that I need to upload.

Thanks anyway!

Right...but how many already previously workouts are still stored on your Garmin's history?  I'm gonna bet you $10 that if you delete the entire history on your 305 that your future uploads will go much smoother for at least the next 3-4 weeks.  I almost always load my workouts as soon as I am done, but the old ones are still stored on the device.  When I get the same error you do I take it as a sign that it's time to delete my device history.  100% of the time when I've done this I have trouble-free uploads for at least a few weeks, until the history starts filling-up, again.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

Mamor and jb44...if you haven't already, recommend  you click on the black triangle in the lower right corner of the GPS device info box which has the "Upload" button before your next attempted upload. This will turn on diagnostic info you can copy and paste here.

Zamor

I haven't thought about this one Smile

I thought that when you upload your workouts to the PC, they get erased from the Garmin device.

Thanks for the tip... I'll try it.

You might have earned 10$ ;-)

Right...but how many already previously workouts are still stored on your Garmin's history?  I'm gonna bet you $10 that if you delete the entire history on your 305 that your future uploads will go much smoother for at least the next 3-4 weeks.  I almost always load my workouts as soon as I am done, but the old ones are still stored on the device.  When I get the same error you do I take it as a sign that it's time to delete my device history.  100% of the time when I've done this I have trouble-free uploads for at least a few weeks, until the history starts filling-up, again.

Zamor

Hi MilkTruck;

Here it is:

Seaching for GarminNetscapePlugin

found GarminNetscapePlugin

Plugin version: 4.0.4.0

Unlocked plugin

plugin.finishFindDevices() completed

device 0 (Forerunner305 (Identification de l'appareil )): firmware="290", data type="tcx"

last upload time: 2013-07-28T23:37:18Z

found device: Forerunner305 (Identification de l'appareil )

device.startReadDir()

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <MessageBox xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/PluginAPI/v1" DefaultButtonValue="1"> <Icon>Exclamation</Icon> <Text>There was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure your device is plugged in and turned on. If errors continue to occur, you may need to restart your device.</Text> <Button Caption="OK" Value="1"/> </MessageBox>

Mamor and jb44...if you haven't already, recommend  you click on the black triangle in the lower right corner of the GPS device info box which has the "Upload" button before your next attempted upload. This will turn on diagnostic info you can copy and paste here.

eric :)

This is a common problem with Garmins.  Garmin support told me that their devices are very sensitive to the quality of the usb signal and thus the port.  I was told that if it happens, I should try using a different usb port, preferably one directly at the back of the computer.

There are two other things you can do to alleviate the symptoms.  Try holding Mode and Reset buttons for a few seconds.  Sometimes that works.  If not, keep downloading the data until it succeeds.  It should eventually succeed.   Once everything is imported, delete all your workouts on the GPS, which seems to reduce the frequency of the problem.

Zamor

Hi Eric!

How do you delete all the workouts from the Garmin device?

Thanks

This is a common problem with Garmins.  Garmin support told me that their devices are very sensitive to the quality of the usb signal and thus the port.  I was told that if it happens, I should try using a different usb port, preferably one directly at the back of the computer.

There are two other things you can do to alleviate the symptoms.  Try holding Mode and Reset buttons for a few seconds.  Sometimes that works.  If not, keep downloading the data until it succeeds.  It should eventually succeed.   Once everything is imported, delete all your workouts on the GPS, which seems to reduce the frequency of the problem.

an amazing likeness

For your Forerunner , on the device itself:

Menu -> History -> Running -> Delete -> All or "Keep 1 Month"

Hi Eric!

How do you delete all the workouts from the Garmin device?

Thanks

Zamor

Thanks all for your advices! Smile