maximum heart rate (Read 109 times)

im 43 so my max hr should be around 177.  yesterday I ran a 5k and today 3k and my average hr was 190. is this anything to be concerned about? ive been running for about 3 years now, these were flat out races close to best ever times.

Walk-Jogger

im 43 so my max hr should be around 177.  yesterday I ran a 5k and today 3k and my average hr was 190. is this anything to be concerned about? ive been running for about 3 years now, these were flat out races close to best ever times.

There is no "should be" when it comes to max heart rate. It is what it is, and rules of thumb about what it should be are meaningless. If you want to know what your real max heart rate is, you need to do a  max heart rate test and find out.

Here's a Google search of this site on this topic: "site:runningahead.com max heart rate"

Retired &  Loving It

Master of Inconsistency

No , there is no Max heart rate should be. It is what it is. Those formulas are just ballpark figures. I too have seen 190's and I'm older than you.  Your heart will not explode , well I least I hope not . Good Luck , Greg

MTA : beat me too it ! , I type too slow !

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

zonykel

Your heart will not explode , well I least I hope not . 

LOL

Don Patrol

My Garmin monitor starts out at rediculously high readings, and it may take a mile or so fo it to come back into "normal" levels.  So, the average gets skewed high by a bit.  It's not unusual for me to see readings of over 200 in the first mile, and i'm 55!

I try to make sure my skin is moist before starting a run, now, and that has helped a lot.

Marathon Maniac since 3/2016. Marathon PR: 3:29:25 - Richmond 2015.  Back to Boston in 2019!!

thank you all, that makes me feel better.