Polar Dash Half Marathon (Read 1444 times)

I Ain't Dead Yet!

The whole race distance and the turnaround got me to thinking so I went back and looked at the course map and it seems maybe the turnaround was where the map showed it. I also found the USATF certification for the course. It was interesting that the distance was measured by "bicycle." I think the certification map is a little crude but clear in its structure. 

Man, like I didn't think about running and running related information enough already. Now I"m interested in race structures and certifications.

I really don't want to have a discussion abot GPS vs USATF certifications.

Sorry, didn't want to seem like I was minimizing your effort or the PR you ran.  I think you would have definitely PR'd on a 13.1 course.  The conditions were tough on Sunday, so kudos to you for getting out there and running as well as you did.  

There is another half marathon in St. Paul, MN on 1/28 (Securian Winter Carnival Half).  The course is out and back, but structured a lot better than the Polar Dash.  Don't get me wrong, I like Team Ortho and their races, but this one was a huge disappointment in the way the course was put together and how the other race distances interfered with the half marathon.  That's a big pet peeve with me.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
    The days of my youth are far behind
    My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
    Can't hear one-half that's being said
    And this is the message I want you to get
    I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Don-  Bummer to hear about that.  We have encountered the occasional "glitch" with Team Ortho events, but the courses have not usually been an issue.  I'm still waiting to see what the course is for Get Lucky this year. I'm doing it as a tune-up for Lake Wobegon.  Oh, and I have been added to the Securian pace team.  Looks like I get the supersize 2:00 group.  Are you racing or pacing that one?

"I aim to misbehave."

HermosaBoy

Sorry, didn't want to seem like I was minimizing your effort or the PR you ran.  I think you would have definitely PR'd on a 13.1 course.  The conditions were tough on Sunday, so kudos to you for getting out there and running as well as you did.  

There is another half marathon in St. Paul, MN on 1/28 (Securian Winter Carnival Half).  The course is out and back, but structured a lot better than the Polar Dash.  Don't get me wrong, I like Team Ortho and their races, but this one was a huge disappointment in the way the course was put together and how the other race distances interfered with the half marathon.  That's a big pet peeve with me.

Watch out for the Securian -- last year the half was short, the 5k and 10k were long and all the course interfered with each other...

Hopefully it will be fixed this year!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don-  Bummer to hear about that.  We have encountered the occasional "glitch" with Team Ortho events, but the courses have not usually been an issue.  I'm still waiting to see what the course is for Get Lucky this year. I'm doing it as a tune-up for Lake Wobegon.  Oh, and I have been added to the Securian pace team.  Looks like I get the supersize 2:00 group.  Are you racing or pacing that one?

I'm pacing 1:30, so we may have to find a good spot for post-race drinks.  Bulldog was uber-packed last year as the parade went right by the bar.  Maybe somewhere else will be easier.

The Get Lucky course, if it's the same as last year, is a good course. It starts and finishes at the Ford Plant, going to Shepard Rd and the high bridge for the turnaround.  The nice thing is the 7K was held in Mpls so no interference with the other race.  I hit a huge PR at that one last year.

Oh, and I paced 1:30 at Securian last year.  The police officer setup the turnaround point at the wrong intersection.  The RD assured me that this has been corrected for 2012.  I sure hope so 'cause I was waaaaayyyyyy off on pacing last year.  Ended up with a 1:18 "Half Marathon". Roll eyes

juniordo1

No worries, I don't think you're minimizing my effort at all. I'm just not sure how the course ends up short looking at the maps and the certification. I really don't doubt it was short.

In the last three miles I remember thinking I was going to get a PR around 2:08 with 4.5 minutes to spare. Imagine my surprise when I got to the line and saw the clock ticking at 2:06+. That's how I got to talking to folks about the course being short because I"m quite certain I didn't run that hard down the stretch.

Thanks for pacing these races! I love seeing people reach their goals and pacers are a big help. I was eyeballing the St. Paul Race but it's girls basketball season in my house so I probably won't make that one.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

juniordo1

...I'm doing it as a tune-up for Lake Wobegon. 

Drink n Run,

I've been eyeballing Wobegon. What would you think about that race for a first time marathoner?

I'm pacing 1:30, so we may have to find a good spot for post-race drinks.  Bulldog was uber-packed last year as the parade went right by the bar.  Maybe somewhere else will be easier.

The Get Lucky course, if it's the same as last year, is a good course. It starts and finishes at the Ford Plant, going to Shepard Rd and the high bridge for the turnaround.  The nice thing is the 7K was held in Mpls so no interference with the other race.  I hit a huge PR at that one last year.

Oh, and I paced 1:30 at Securian last year.  The police officer setup the turnaround point at the wrong intersection.  The RD assured me that this has been corrected for 2012.  I sure hope so 'cause I was waaaaayyyyyy off on pacing last year.  Ended up with a 1:18 "Half Marathon". Roll eyes

I will need to tack on a few miles after pacing.  Not entirely sure about post run festivities depending on other family plans, but I will let you know.

I ran Get Lucky last year, and the couple of climbs after the turnaround were challenging, but the flat to downhill last couple of miles sure were nice.  The website still says course details "coming soon".  It has said that for about a month, now.

Yeah.  Hopefully Securian is not 11.7 miles again.

"I aim to misbehave."

Drink n Run,

I've been eyeballing Wobegon. What would you think about that race for a first time marathoner?

Don S may have more to offer you.  He ran it last year.

This will be my first year running it.  It will be my second marathon after doing Fargo last year.  It is small, and will not have crowd support.  I have been told it is very well run, and extremely flat, though.

"I aim to misbehave."

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don S may have more to offer you.  He ran it last year.

This will be my first year running it.  It will be my second marathon after doing Fargo last year.  It is small, and will not have crowd support.  I have been told it is very well run, and extremely flat, though.

Lake Wobegon is a great race.  Well organized by the RD (you can tell she's a runner and knows what runners want and need in a race) and the course is very flat.  However, if you need a lot of support, i.e. spectators, this one may not be for you. It's a very small race and is sparse for spectators.  Those few that were out there were very vocal and enthusiastic as were the volunteers at the water stops.  

I'm going back this year to see if I can improve on my PR (which I ran at that race).  

juniordo1

... if you need a lot of support, i.e. spectators, this one may not be for you. It's a very small race and is sparse for spectators.  Those few that were out there were very vocal and enthusiastic as were the volunteers at the water stops.   

No, I don't need the spectator support. I always train alone on the country roads of central Minnesota so this race would fit very well with what I'm used to. The only times I have ever run with others have been in the two half marathons I've run.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

No, I don't need the spectator support. I always train alone on the country roads of central Minnesota so this race would fit very well with what I'm used to. The only times I have ever run with others have been in the two half marathons I've run.

In that case join Drink and Run and me (as well as a few others we know) at Lake Wobegon.  I know you'll enjoy the race and the post-race food.

Best wishes on your training.  Hope to see you at Wobegon.  Look for the ugly guy with my avatar for a tattoo on the right arm and say hi.

In that case join Drink and Run and me (as well as a few others we know) at Lake Wobegon.  I know you'll enjoy the race and the post-race food.

Best wishes on your training.  Hope to see you at Wobegon.  Look for the ugly guy with my avatar for a tattoo on the right arm and say hi.

And a bunch of us (Don inlcluded, I presume) will be wearing white singlets with my avatar on the front.

"I aim to misbehave."

I Ain't Dead Yet!

And a bunch of us (Don inlcluded, I presume) will be wearing white singlets with my avatar on the front.

Word 2 Yo Mutha!

I think I know some of you ; ).  Came back to RA you know to track what I'm diong and see what adds up come Dec 2012.

Team Ortho events - if you want an official qualifying time, I don't think TO certifies any of their course.  GREAT races for fun, entertainment and comraderie, but make sure they are USATF certified or don't count in the books.   for one if I'm going to put it out there for a big race, especially 1/2 marathon or marathon, I want the course to be legit!

I think I know some of you ; ).  Came back to RA you know to track what I'm diong and see what adds up come Dec 2012.

Team Ortho events - if you want an official qualifying time, I don't think TO certifies any of their course.  GREAT races for fun, entertainment and comraderie, but make sure they are USATF certified or don't count in the books.   for one if I'm going to put it out there for a big race, especially 1/2 marathon or marathon, I want the course to be legit!

Willie!  Hey...

Really???  Not USATF certified? I thought I knew some folks who have qualified for Boston at Minneapolis and NYC Monster. Doesn't that require certification?

My half PR is on a TO course...  Yikes!

"I aim to misbehave."