Hip Pain! (Read 713 times)

Me and my gang in Breck

Several weeks ago I had a sudden pain in my right hip while on a run on a cold morning. I've been upping my milage lately and assume the problem is and overuse issue. I gave it some rest and it was ok for a few runs but came back. More rest and the pain completely disappeared again. After a few runs the pain suddenly returned again after a couple miles on a run. The pain is in the upper hip right where you would put your hands on your hips. I'm not sure if it's a pulled muscle or a tendon thats rubbing against that upper bone in my hip? I know that I need to core train and stretch more and I have started that now. My question is has anyone else had a problem like this and how did they treat it? Thanks

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

VictorN

It is possible you have a muscle spasm in one of your glutes (probably minimus or medius) or in your Piriformis muscle. I have occasional pain in these muscles and I usually relieve it with massage. Once you resolve the current problem, then work on core training, but don't do that till the pain goes away. You might just aggravate the problem. You also might want to consider your body position when you are running. Make sure you aren't bending forward at the waist. Victor
      AnneCA

If you have iliac crest pain, you should definitely be thinking iliotibial band. How does it feel if you stretch like this: If you answered "like a %%&GU#&!" then, yep, I'd guess ITBS for sure. Try ice and vitamin I for immediate relief, but, longterm, you're right, it will be about strenthening surrounding muscles. MTA: My ITBS hip pain started exactly as you describe, sudden and sharp. I was sitting in a laundromat reading a magazine, crossed my legs, and . . . zing. Doesn't it seem odd that a chronic/overuse injury would first manifest like that? It was a question I asked anyone who might be able to answer, and the answer I usually got was that I already had the injury even before the pain, and the hip pain was just a new manifestation of the injury. I always suspected they were talking out of their asses. Anyway, this was many years ago. The stretch shown above did help a lot, as did ice, etc., but what finally cured me for the long term was weight training. Good luck!

Me and my gang in Breck

Victor and Anne, thank's for your response's. Of all the overuse injuries, this is the strangest one I've had. Victor, I've had another runner tell me that massage and core training would help this problem so thats exactly what I'm gonna do. The first time it happened It was cold out and I was probally bending forward running with my head down trying to stay warm. Anne, This has been coming on for months, I just tried to ignore it and keep running. I could tell that I felt stiff when I ran and losing flexability all around. I just enjoy running more than weight training and stretching. I can feel the pain when I stretch the way your picture shows. I have a feeling it's ITBS. I've small pains all thru this leg deep inside from the knee up for months on and off. Thanks again

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

I had some pain in my hip near the end of my XC season into track. I almost had to sit out of track, but then I got new shoes and after a week of running in my new shoes, the pain went away. I guess I had run too many miles in my last pair of shoes and the support wasn't there anymore.