Shoulder pain (Read 280 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

I've been having left shoulder pain now for 2 months, and I'm starting to think I should do something else to make it go away. Wonder if anyone can give me suggestions. It's very mild (about 1-2 out of 10 pain), and is only intermittent, a bit more in the mornings than in the evenings. It's hard to define exactly where it is, but feels like an "ache" behind the shoulder blade. It almost seems to migrate a bit, sometimes near the supraspinatus and sometimes feels like it's closer to the deltoid, othertimes below the scapula. The muscles are a small bit tender to pressure, but there is never any pain or weakness with any movements of the arm in any direction. The ache reminds me a little of the time i had RSI in my wrist, from too much computer key clicking. I was under the impression 2 months ago that this started when I decided I had to get my upper body strength going, and began to lift some free weights, but I gave that up and it's not improved. Wonder if I pulled a nerve or something. It doesn't hurt when I run, but I've also been a bit worried that the bouncing from running might be slowing down recovery. Sound familiar to anyone?

xor

Does it hurt more when you move your arm, particularly over your head? (edit: "The muscles are a small bit tender to pressure, but there is never any pain or weakness with any movements of the arm in any direction" probably answers that)

When I've had nerve issues, they didn't feel very mild and the sensation was specific... either tingly or "dead".   So it just sorta kinda aches sometimes and you are sure it isn't related to movement?

I was going to guess rotator cuff tendonitis or bursitis... but my limited experience with those (I've had bursitis and my step mom has bad rotator cuff issues) is they definitely present worse with certainly types of movements.

Regular ass person

Have you ever had your gait analyzed?

I had sort of similar issues with one shoulder.. more of a constant dull ache that radiated in my neck and gave me headaches. It turned out that I was very subtly rolling the shoulder in with every step. Do that a few million times and it can lead to injury.

The prescription is to knock it off, which is way easier said than done. With my issue (and I have no idea if this is yours), strengthening the shoulder did help a lot.

northernman

Fight The Future

Ugh, I hope I don't have to stop running. Planning to run Boston for first time, soon!

bursitis sounds like a good one. I'll try more ice and easy exercises. If that doesn't do it, I'll bug the orthopods for something, like a shot of cortisone. Wish we had a good gait analysis clinic around here

zonykel

an amazing likeness

In addition to the stuff in the link posted by zonykel -- google internal and external shoulder rotation with weights, this will wok the lat muscles and rotator cuff. The shoulder is a complex beast. I've had some pretty major shoulder damage in the recent past, and 3 years later still have to work on the PT routines to be able to put a shirt on.  So...don't get behind, deal with it early on.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MonkeyBunny

I don't recognize some of the body parts you mention but I'll share my shoulder pain story for your consideration.

I went to the doctor. As she was examining my shoulder she asked if I noticed that my thyroid was enlarged.

My thyroid was so big that it was making it difficult to breathe while I slept and I was contorting my body to get enough air during the night

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

northernman

Fight The Future

Thanks all for the tips. So far, feels a bit better with some of the gentle strengthening exercises.

I don't recognize some of the body parts you mention but I'll share my shoulder pain story for your consideration.

I went to the doctor. As she was examining my shoulder she asked if I noticed that my thyroid was enlarged.

My thyroid was so big that it was making it difficult to breathe while I slept and I was contorting my body to get enough air during the night

Good point, it could be something not musculoskeletal. probably referred pain from an occult thoracic tumor, but so far, no unexplained weight loss (or explained weight loss, either, unfortunately). If it doesn't get better with ice and exercises, I'll harass the medics.

thanks again