Taking a break (Read 627 times)

Cause I CAN

Not from the bored or running, just races...I have been running my brains out for 3 years, did some races, marathon and the transplant games...my body is saying enough. I want to run just for the sake of running.. anyone ever do that?
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Lia's Daddy

I think you just have to listen to your body and mind. I have not been running as long as you or gone through the same things but had a similar realization today. I was suppose to do a long run yesterday but instead did a 5k race. I was planning on doing my long run today. Instead I took my dog for a long walk and decided to start fresh tomorrow. In the past I would have felt guilty about this but after suffering a long hiatus due to injury at the beginning of the year I just chalk it up to "doing what feels right". More power to you for staying in tune with your body and your needs!
      "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

Menace to Sobriety

yeah, its supposed to be fun.....when it gets to be drudgery, take a break and don't worry about it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Taking a break from racing or even from running in general can sometimes be exactly what your mind and body need. A few years ago, I couldn't run at all for about eight months due to an ankle injury that wouldn't get better and I eventually had to have surgery on. I was horrified at not being able to run, but it was actually kind of a good thing because I had begun to be rather burnt out on racing, and when I started up again I remembered how much I loved running simply to be running.

Cause I CAN

I think I'd go nuts if I couldnt run at all... Evil grin
              Oh I did. I couldn't sit still AT ALL and was hardly sleeping because my body didn't know what to do with all the unburned energy. People hated me Evil grin

Feeling the growl again

I've taken about 2 YEARS more or less off from racing...I used to do maybe 20-25 races a year and now do 2-3. I'm a lot slower but I know that if I wanted to go after it again, mentally I would be ready to attack it. Racing can be demanding on the body and mind and it's not a bad thing to recharge the batteries and remind yourself why you're really doing this to begin with. I am beginning to notice my supply of good T-shirts diminish though.... Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cause I CAN

Oh yeah I love the tshirts and about all I wear running around or in the house Big grin
                    ... I want to run just for the sake of running... anyone ever do that?
                    Yep. Once I had a wonderful moment on an easy run one brisk autumn morning with the sun coming through the trees and a nice cool breeze... and I thought "I love this feeling - from now on I'm just going to run for enjoyment". So I forgot schedules/mpw/races etc. etc. and just ran for the pure enjoyment of it whenever I wanted to for a couple months. The next race I did was a marathon where I overslept and barely made it to the start before the gun. I ran a lifetime PR, and was so pumped up at running under 3 hours at age 40 (I'm a slowpoke) that I drove to another state and ran another marathon the next day, after only 3 hours sleep. Run for the sake of running and enjoying it - you can't beat that. Gino (MM # 970)
                      I agree I like running just for the sake of running. The spontaneity of the thing just go out the door whenever and run 5, 10, 15 - then while you're out there change plans to maybe 20 or more. I haven't entered many races so I'm not tired of them - Yet. Schedules I do hate, so when I am done this training program in 9 weeks, it'll be the first and last one I follow.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius