5k - do you care how exact the distance is? (Read 906 times)

A Saucy Wench

Advertise it by the distance it is....if the advertisements have already gone out (end of the month is close) then you need to make sure it is 3.1 and measure it multiple times. I ran in a 10K last year that was 6 instead of 6.2 and it ticked me off and I am a slow casual runner. I want to KNOW what I am running.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I care a lot. Last year I thought I PRd the 5k by a really good chunk, but the course was short (2.9 actually). when I tried to train according to my VDOT ala Daniels tables, tempo running became, um, interesting.
        Guarantee PR's for everyone by either saying it's a 5k winkwink course, or a 2.8 mile run. For most people I know it IS kind of a big deal...I ran a race near my house that was small, low-key and about a quarter mile long and I heard tons of people complaining (not me - I won it!). The RD asked me afterwards what we could do to improve next year and he said he heard lots of complaints about the inaccurate course distance. If you can pull the start/finish back a little ways you can make it an even 3 miles or a full 5k - that's the best of both worlds. Make them run through a big sand trap as well (be sure you rake after the last runner goes through) - that would make a unique race experience!
          Thanks to all for your thoughts! Because the shirts are already printed "5k," we're going to go 5k, even if we use the treadmills (I LOVE that idea!). I thought that was the best thing to do - besides, there's a lot of people that will be traveling from icy and snowy places - for them, it WILL be a great chance for a winter PR, if the course is true.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

If you advertise as a 5k, you need to make the course 5k. Unless you advertise as "about" 5k. Then it can be 15 miles if you want.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scpete

Around here, most races are certified (where a trained person measures the course according to specs by some national organization). If not, most people, at least serious runners, won't run them.

Just Be

5k - do you care how exact the distance is?
                Yes. Smile