Help me pick races! (Read 479 times)

AnneCA

I'm trying to pick some races for the upcoming year, including my first half marathon (in 15 years). I'd appreciate any feedback on how to combine things, and particularly on any of these races if you're familiar with them. I know I could train up for the first half on the list (in May), but wonder if maybe I should get some more racing miles under my belt first. My options are: 2/24 Chinese New Year's 5k or 10k, SF. I dont' know the race, but I know the area well, transit would be convenient, and it could be a good kick-off. 5/18/08 Bay to Breakers 12k. I'm an anti-social runner Wink so I wouldn't be part of a team, in costume, or anything like that. But I've never done Bay to Breakers, and it could be fun, right? How crazy is it? 5/31/08 See Jane Run 5k or Half Marathon. This could be my half, but I have reservations. Although it's convenient to me (which would also make it convenient for my family/cheerleaders), I ran the 5k last year, and the organization was *terrible*. It started a half hour late (yay for waiting around in the cold Roll eyes ) and, even worse, they apparently mis-marked or mis-directed the half, so folks only ran 11 miles. That would leave me steeeeaaaaming. They sent out a big mea culpa e-mail, and I've got to believe they'll do better this year, but . . . . This really would be the best race from my family's perspective, though, and they've got a kids' fun run in the post-race area too. 8/3/08 SF Half Marathon. Two options here: the first half, or the second half. The first half starts at 5:30 am and goes along the waterfront and across the Golden Gate Bridge, finishing in GG Park. The second half starts at the more family-friendly hour of 8:00 in the park, goes through town, and finishes at the waterfront. Not as scenic, to be sure, but I like city streets. 10/5/08 Bridge to Bridge 7k or 12k. I did the 7k last year, and really liked the race. It's along the waterfront, much of the same route as the first half of the SF marathon, except for the last leg into GG park. 10/19/08 Nike Women's Half Marathon. Practically the same course as the first half of the SF marathon. Race shirt is probably pink, which I don't wear. Blush Thanks for any advice! And, of course, if you have any other races to recommend, it would be appreciated!
    flatfootruns

I'd do them all, except, if they are less then a month apart, but if you recoup faster then me," all"...racing is a blast...enjoy...

Imminent Catastrophe

Bay to Breakers! That is a race that everyone should do, at least once (I haven't yet) but it sounds like a blast.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'll only give feedback to the ones I've done:
          5/18/08 Bay to Breakers 12k. I'm an anti-social runner Wink so I wouldn't be part of a team, in costume, or anything like that. But I've never done Bay to Breakers, and it could be fun, right? How crazy is it?
          Bay to Breakers is so incredibly packed with people that you don't really get to run at you own pace. Lots of people do it wihtout signing up. If you do it, pack yourself into the crowd near the start line, to even get a chance of running at all. I ran it with a friend the 1st time, and then went back by myself with a goal to get published (they list the top 6000 or 7000 finishers and their times in the next days paper, or at least they did back then). Go to this race only for a fun, cool, wierd experience. Naked guys, guys dressed as women, totally strange sights! I think it may be the largest run in the US?
          8/3/08 SF Half Marathon. Two options here: the first half, or the second half. The first half starts at 5:30 am and goes along the waterfront and across the Golden Gate Bridge, finishing in GG Park. The second half starts at the more family-friendly hour of 8:00 in the park, goes through town, and finishes at the waterfront. Not as scenic, to be sure, but I like city streets.
          I did SF Marathon as my 1st full in 2004. The route in '04 didn't go over the Golden Gate bridge, but it was still a really nice route and way to see the city. Very nice race, well organized. I started "early" since I was so slow. Very cool, pre-dawn start with the lights on the Bay Bridge behind us. A great 1st marathon. I ran the 2nd Half in 2006 as a training for my 2nd marathon. If you do a half at SF, you're right, the 1st half is the scenic one. Only reason I did the 2nd half was I signed up 2 days before and the 1st Half was already sold out (they have to bus you back to the start line, I think), and I was only using it as a training run. Great free post run massage, the first time I used this service!
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          AnneCA

Thanks all -- I think I am now leaning toward the SF being my half. That way I could do Bay to Breakers. Even if you figure I wouldn't get to actually run much in B2B, I'm not sure it would be good to plan on the half for two weeks later. The only thing counter to that is that August seems so far away! Although, if I keep busy with a 10k, 12k, and 5k in the interim, that should make the time go faster . . . . Keep the suggestions coming!
              Here's another great half - the Santa Cruz in March or April. I did this as my 1st half in 2004, and so did my husband in 2007. It made for a nice destination race, with Boardwalk and the beach. It's a nice,easy course, well run. Make hotel reservation early, though. Nice lookin tshirt (cotton) with a watercolor painting on it.
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado