First 10K - Ford Island Bridge Run (Read 1892 times)

Prophet!

Did my first 10K today, the Ford Island 10K Run. Ford Island is right in the middle of Pearl Harbor, connected to the main island by a bridge. Here's a map of the course .The first mile is a bit up and down along the bridge, the next 4 miles circles the Island, through the military housing and installations before crossing the bridge back to the main island. Its amazing as i was running through the course, thinking that back in 41 most of the island was completely destroyed by the Japanese attack, and here we are today running through it. I wish I was wearing one of those self-guide tour earphone thingie durign the race, it would have been really neat. Back to the race...originally i had planned to go all out in the beginning and die by the half and see what happens after that. Changed my mind and instead trying to find that 'edge' that hippie elitist (Jeff) and resident kungfu master (mikeymike) talks about during a race, and staying within that. Right before the start they released a hundred of red, white and blue pigeons, although somebody may have messed up the colors cause they look like pink, yellow and green pigeons to me...still looks neat them flying above us, then i realize it really wouldn't be neat to have 100 pigeons flying above you, that perhaps they may simulate the 1941 aerial attack. First mile felt great, it felt comfortably uncomfortable, i thought maybe that was that 'edge' thing so i figure i'd stick with that pace and keep going faster and see what happens. I had my Garmin on but didn't really look at it cause i wanted to run by feel and cross-check the data later on. Passing the 5K mark i look at the time and realized i had PRd my 5K during a 10K race, awesome, got an extra boost for the next 2 miles. The last mile.2 crosses the bridge again, what seemed like such a joyful ride at the start becomes a conversation with God at this time...still i didn't die that much. As i finish the last uphill back to the starting line I don't see the finish line, what the hell...i turns out the finish is farther down from the starting line...crap..oh well, it least it was downhill. Anyway, managed to suck it up and strided down the last leg to the finish line. Yay, scratch that 10K off the list. My chip time, 52:21 (8:26), I had somewhat of a goal of 53:00 so i beat that. I'm pretty happy with the result considering this wasn't a goal race. There are moments where i thought cardiovascularly i felt awesome but the legs just didn't want to turnover as fast as i wanted them to be. Overall it was a great experience. 10K is a pretty fun distance, but now I'm dying to find out what I can for a 5K. Much aloha, Steve
      Aweome, Steve! Congrats on the great race and thanks for the race report.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

what seemed like such a joyful ride at the start becomes a conversation with God at this time...still i didn't die that much.
        What a strong gathering of what you were feeling at that time! Good race! Good time. Can't wait to see what your next 5k time will end up being now that you've tasted that PR.

Michelle

Dog-Love

Nice report Steve...racing in Pearl Harbor...what a concept! I bet it was a warm race.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Prophet!

Nice report Steve...racing in Pearl Harbor...what a concept! I bet it was a warm race.
            it sure was hot and humid, no tradewinds...start was at 7:00 AM, i wish they would have started it 6.
              Well done, Steve. Great time. I've run Ford Island (training runs, not races), and can visualize the race. Sounds as if your next 5K will be a terrific run for you.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              derek

Congrats!!

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There are moments where i thought cardiovascularly i felt awesome but the legs just didn't want to turnover as fast as i wanted them to be.
                  Heh, I frequently have the opposite problem...darn tiny, asthmatic lungs! Wink What a great race report and WTG on beating your goal time! That race sounds like a really fantastic course and your time is awesome! I wish we had more 10ks around here...I like that length--long enough that I have a couple of miles to feel warmed up, then still have time to run hard without feeling like I'm running for hours on end. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats on a great race! Cool

Jennifer mm#1231