Gym workout then run? (Read 937 times)

Hoodoo Guru

I actually do the opposite...run first, and then weight training workout.  I would think of the light run as more as a warm up for the muscles.

I totally agree.  

The tangents are moot.

MrNamtor

I like to do sets of strength training and run 440 meters between sets without a break. One of my workouts is to do this with say 4x10 pull ups, 4x15 pilates, 4x25 pushup variations and 4 sets of supermans or other lower back exercise while running a total of about 4 miles of 440m runs,

Some might say this dilutes both the running and the strength training, but i have found that this type of workout has given me more endurance for obstacle racing, where a lot of really good runners get thrown off when they have to stop running, do some very anaerobic moves and then start running again. This takes a bigger toll on an obstacle racer than people think if you haven't trained in this way..

I like to do sets of strength training and run 440 meters between sets without a break.

I do something similar as a "money" workout.

A warm up run to start

Strength train (using bowflex), running between sets

A cool down run to finish.

Depending on my training timeline, total mileage in workout can range from 6 to 15 miles

This is an asskicker

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

MrNamtor

I do something similar as a "money" workout.

A warm up run to start

Strength train (using bowflex), running between sets

A cool down run to finish.

Depending on my training timeline, total mileage in workout can range from 6 to 15 miles

This is an asskicker

bowflex? wow, that's old school brah. I think i might be able to dig up my "bullworker" from somewhere if i looked hard enough.

bowflex? wow, that's old school brah.

I know, right?

I find the resistance works well, and since my goal is to strength train as a compliment to my running I don't need to focus so much on free weights / power lifting. 

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

MrNamtor

I know, right?

I find the resistance works well, and since my goal is to strength train as a compliment to my running I don't need to focus so much on free weights / power lifting. 

I like to use the thigh master once in a while and do strength training/running super-sets with it as well.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

MrNamtor you need  to lift more your legs are too Skinny

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

MrNamtor

MrNamtor you need  to lift more your legs are too Skinny

They were much more chicken-like when i lifted a lot because I did a lot of bench presses and didn't like working my legs very much.

The thigh master helps with that. You can still order one from amazon if you're interested.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Thigh master are you serious?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

MrNamtor

Thigh master are you serious?

Wrong question. The real question is how bad do you want it?

MrNamtor

seattlechica

I have no idea if this is the 'right' thing to do, but I pretty regularly lift during my lunch break and do a hard workout (like a tempo, mile repeats, whatever) after work, maybe 4 hours later. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues. That said, on the rare occasion that I lift and run in the same gym session, I'll run first and lift second. Otherwise I'll feel pretty weak on the run.

I do this too except backwards - lunch break run, then lift after work.

RSX

If I do a run outside that goes first. If both are inside I do the run second as I am leaving all this sweat on the machines otherwise. Regardless I put more focus on my run.

If I do a long run leg weights are slower/less reps, and stretch me more at the same time.