Running as a bandit - can it be justified? (Read 449 times)

RunWalkDC

No.  For the reasons you've posted and many others. running as a bandit can not be justified.    I don't help myself to goods or services without paying for them.  I don't walk into a concert without paying for it.  I don't drive on a toll road or eat a meal in a restaurant without paying for it.  I know others do all of these things (and I suspect they would also be bandits), but that doesn't mean being a thief/bandit is right.

Every way you turn it, it seems to me I would be taking advantage of the work put in by the organizers without paying for it.

No.  For the reasons you've posted and many others. running as a bandit can not be justified.    I don't help myself to goods or services without paying for them.  I don't walk into a concert without paying for it.  I don't drive on a toll road or eat a meal in a restaurant without paying for it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice article mentioning some notable bandits of Boston: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marlo-thomas/women-boston-marathon_b_1418099.html

MTA: I just saw the photo of Sara Mae Berman - did they give her that bib, or did she make it?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No Talent Drips

I'm thinking about running on public roads and through a bit of a national park for about 13 miles...right around the same time some other kids are gonna pay $80 bucks for a sold out half marathon. If I do it, I'd use it as a tempo workout with some locals I know who are running with bibs on.

Bad idea jeans?

Dei Gratia

sugnim

Just pay the race fee.  If you want to run & donate money to charity, you can do that on your own: just run to your local charity, drop off a check, and then run home.  If you need it to be competitive, then try for a negative split on your way back.  If you're going to run in an organized race, you have to play by the race director's rules.

This seems like a simple question and answer. However, there's a few races I can think of that sell out quickly due to a really low registration limit.  Every year there are quite a few bandits, and I've never heard anyone complain about it.  I get the feeling it's silently encouraged as the RD likes having a large competitive race.  Perhaps the bandits compensate for the no-shows and it all evens out numbers wise.

Now, I think it would take a lot of nerve  for a bandit to go hoarding many after-race drinks and food, but I've never seen that happen. However, often times there's so much stuff left over that probably gets thrown out.

I might  think differently about this if it were a race that didn't sell out and there were a large number of people just taking advantage of the RDs and volunteers efforts.  But, I don't think that's the case.

I guess there will always be some people that want something for free, but by and large I don't think most runners fall into this category.

delicate flower

Yeah, I want to run races and not pay for them too.  Yeah, yeah, yeah....I'll just donate to charity instead.  Trust me.  A check to The Human Fund is on its way.

<3

Hoban-Jay

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I guess the recent discussion about RnR / CGI has prompted me to open a discussion

I am sometimes tempted to run races as a bandit and give the corresponding entry fee to a charity, but I have trouble justifying this. What is to stop me from:

- paying the race fee and at the same time making an equivalent donation to a charity (expense?)

- not running the race and making a donation (I like running races?)

- running the course the day before and making a donation (safety?)

Every way you turn it, it seems to me I would be taking advantage of the work put in by the organizers without paying for it.

And quid for the other runners, who have paid their dues?

On the other hand, I am quite happy to be self-sufficient and run with my hydration belt and gels, so I am not really "taking" anything from the organizers (but I'm still benefiting)

IAnd if a steward trys to stop me or a runner makes a comment due to the fact I don't have a bib number, perhaps I can leave them a small text printed on a business card-size piece of paper explaining what I am doing?

Thoughts and comments?

Anyway you want to look at it, it's still stealing.  A race is a "product"...a service that someone took the time, effort, money and other resources to "develop".

You can justify stealing a pound of ground beef because your kids are starving.  But can you justify stealing a gold watch because it would look nice on your wrist...or that of your spouse etc...and well the jewelry store has lots of them...and their insurance will cover the loss...  Many excuses can be imagined to justify it...to make us feel better about ourselves...but does that make it right?

End of sermon...

Hoban-Jay

I'm pretty agnostic about bandits. Back in 2007 after learning the Manchester (NH) Marathon was sold out, I pleaded with the RD to let me in the race. Her response was something like "our permit only allows us to have xxx runners so I can't let you in, but you can always bandit." I did not run that race.

This in my opinion would NOT be running as a bandit.  The person asked the RD to let them run, and the RD, in essence, said go ahead and run it unofficially and free of charge.  The RD gave their explicit permission to do so.

I am sometimes tempted to run races as a bandit and give the corresponding entry fee to a charity, but I have trouble justifying this. What is to stop me from:

- paying the race fee and at the same time making an equivalent donation to a charity (expense?)

- not running the race and making a donation (I like running races?)

- running the course the day before and making a donation (safety?)

-- I too was thinking on this question.    Simply put and only from a 'legal' point of view, can they legally "close" 13 or 26 miles of streets for the purpose of allowing only runners, but then say it is illegal for you to run on that same terrain?

-- If the police (Paid by YOUR tax dollars) are used to block off these streets to traffic, then if you happen to be running that same route on that day, could the police, or even an RD tell you that you must stop running in that area?

I suppose they can, but I wonder if it has ever been legally challenged in any court.

Don't get me wrong, I don't bandit, and I don't like such kinds of cases loading up the court system (there are certainly more important issues going on after all), but I do like to ponder such things hypothetically.  If someone filed a lawsuit to run on the same terrain provided they brought their own refueling, etc, would they win their case?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

spinach

-- I too was thinking on this question.    Simply put and only from a 'legal' point of view, can they legally "close" 13 or 26 miles of streets for the purpose of allowing only runners, but then say it is illegal for you to run on that same terrain?

Don't get me wrong, I don't bandit, and I don't like such kinds of cases loading up the court system (there are certainly more important issues going on after all), but I do like to ponder such things hypothetically.  If someone filed a lawsuit to run on the same terrain provided they brought their own refueling, etc, would they win their case?

What about the case where a park has a pavilion that people can rent for a day, should people be able to crash their party because it is a park?  Or suppose the city or the county has a publicly financed and built convention center or theater, should everyone be attend a concert for free in the theater because it was publicly financed?  Or if someone tried to force their way in would it permitted to allow the police to prohibit them?  The Minnesota State Fair just ended yesterday, I imagine it is on publicly owned property, but there is an entrance fee.  Should people be allowed to enter for free anyway.  What is the difference?

Feeling the growl again

-- If the police (Paid by YOUR tax dollars) are used to block off these streets to traffic, then if you happen to be running that same route on that day, could the police, or even an RD tell you that you must stop running in that area?

I suppose they can, but I wonder if it has ever been legally challenged in any court.

Things paid for by your tax dollars which you are not allowed 24/7 access to:

• High school tracks
                          • Public roads blocked off by police (races, parades, etc)
                          • Park areas with restricted access for events or even other reasons
                          • The White House
                          • Area 51

In short, the argument that "my tax dollars paid for it" holds no water.  I have seen a couple drivers pulled over and ticketed by police working an event for deliberately navigating around barriers and driving onto road race courses.  Public entities are allowed to restrict access to property/facilities.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

A Saucy Wench

My take on bandits

Except the people I know who bandit regularly

a) are solidly in the "HAVES" group.

b) take the water and the gatorade and the bananas and from time to time the race medals if the volunteers dont notice

Plus they instruct new runners on their own philosophy which is "only register for a race you think you can win an AG award in."  (which kind of goes against the "dont take it too seriousl" argument

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7