Race give aways, Like them or hate them? (Read 777 times)

On On

I couldn't decide where to post this topic but since it has to do with give aways you get at races I went with racing.

Which would you prefer of these two choices?

No give away and lower race fees

Clothes with race logo and higher fees (proportionally higher with cost of good, socks, shirt, jacket, etc)

Is your answer more dependent on your financial situation or how much other crap you have from previous races?  (ie, it is your first marathon and you will pay any amount to get that medal and cool tshirt to wear around town, or I have been racing for 20 years and I don't need any more shirts)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I personally don't care for them / would rather have lower fees.  The only give-away I did like was a 30% discount at a local running store.  I usually don't pick up the shirt.  I think this is mostly because I can't use them due to nipple friction -- even the tech shirts.

However, I do like other people wearing the shirt around town and at the gym.  It advertises the sport.  We have a pretty vibrant running community here and it's nice to see so many folks walking around touting their participation in the local 10miler.

So, I'd prefer the keep giving out good shirts.  I can do without the door-prizes though -- not sure what I'd do with a $50 gift card to Bath & Bodyworks anyway.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

On On

-- not sure what I'd do with a $50 gift card to Bath & Bodyworks anyway.

You could use this on your friction issues, http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2726822&cm_vc=200

an amazing likeness

I think the RDs and race organizers who have a good vision for the goal of their swag do the best job, overall. 

Some races seem to focus on promoting the local area, or the local running community (stores, clubs, other races,etc).  These are good.

Others seem to stuff in a bunch of runner sample things -- focused on running. Samples, offers, etc. Good.

And the worst is when it's just a bunch of random stuff. Not good.

If the purpose is to attract people to your race the swag can draw people -- good stuff gets people to pay the entry and show up, partially to get the good stuff. Shirts, hats, socks, whatever.

If the purpose is to build community, the swag should be for whatever that community is. Like a race for a non-profit should have swag that supports other non-profits -- like a offers for membership, or special donation offers (like a raffle to drive the zamboni).

As the drop-out option, there should always be the "give me nuttin" option for some $ off (and it doesn't have to be much...like $5 off).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As the drop-out option, there should always be the "give me nuttin" option for some $ off (and it doesn't have to be much...like $5 off).

This, of course, is a cromulent idea.  Not only does it nominally reduce the cost, it indicates to the RD not to order a bunch of shirts that will just be given to a homeless shelter (or whatever they do with excess shirts).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

I had to look up 'cromulent' to see if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

I had to look up 'cromulent' to see if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

... well?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Others seem to stuff in a bunch of runner sample things -- focused on running. Samples, offers, etc. Good.

And the worst is when it's just a bunch of random stuff. Not good.

The last race I entered definitely fell into the big-bag-o-crap category. Held it over the garbage can and shook vigorously.

xor

... well?

It is apparently GOOD.

I just know that Conan used to exclaim CROM! a lot.  Maybe cromulent is 'godlike'

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'd rather have the money available spent on good food / drink for after the race rather than goodie bag filler / shirts.  

But that is just me.  I like good food and drink.

steph  

I'm torn. Rick has AWESOME goodies, the duffle bag I got from last years NJ Ultra fest  is AWESOME! I use it  SOOOOOOO much!  Also since most of my Ultra's are fat ass's it's really nice to have a finishers medal! I like how you did it last year where you could order what you wanted. Oh and no one does shirts quite the way you do, so I say love the give a ways!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

xor

I'm torn. Rick has AWESOME goodies, the duffle bag I got from last years NJ Ultra fest  is AWESOME! I use it  SOOOOOOO much!  Also since most of my Ultra's are fat ass's it's really nice to have a finishers medal! I like how you did it last year where you could order what you wanted. Oh and no one does shirts quite the way you do, so I say love the give a ways!

See, this gets to my (personal) issue with answering the question directly.  The generic answer is "eh, do away with that stuff and make the race cheaper".  But when the stuff is done right... and alas, I can't answer what that means easily... I LOVE it.

For example, I have a keychain from a local 50k.  I love it.  Don't know why.

Well, one thing I could do without.  Socks as the cool item.  They almost never fit, and they aren't my trusted brands anyway, so I don't wear them.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I appreciate good swag, but perhaps because it's so rare. Seldom do the shirts fit me ... And if it's a tech shirt I can't even use it to sleep in (well, I could, but that'd just be icky). I don't wear hats, and am picky about socks. Finisher awards... Meh (unless it's a 100 mile buckle; otherwise, merely crossing the line is just not that hard) I do like being given an option, with discount for no swag ... when the shirts are "unisex," I opt out.

Liz

pace sera, sera

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The last race I entered definitely fell into the big-bag-o-crap category. Held it over the garbage can and shook vigorously.

One contributor is having to stuff bags with something from each of the sponsors. But, I don't know any solution to this. It is a tedious amount of work (stuffing all the bags), and sad when one knows how it just leads to runners dumping it all back out. Like the poor slobs at the postal service stuffing junk mail into all the mailboxes, I guess.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But when the stuff is done right... and alas, I can't answer what that means easily... I LOVE it.

Sometimes the shirts look just like Pepto Bismol.