2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

I have taken the last bunch of weeks to heal and very slowly build back to normal mileage. No real workouts yet, just 2 medium-long runs (one that was not a jog) and some strides this week. Otherwise all short, easy runs.

Sounds familiar!  This was my first week up around 50 miles since just before the Manchester City Marathon and these past weeks have been more about rest and social miles for the most part. Striders and some tempo stuff here and there, but now I get serious again.

That said, I won't get into 20-mile runs until late January/early February. I just don't recover as quickly these days and the focus in this training cycle needs to be more on quality than quantity (typing that out loud so I behave). Today's run was with teammates on the Five College Realtors 10-mile course in Amherst. It's the first race of the USATF-NE GP road series once again. Even though I live out here, I curse aloud up the hills on this route each time. Given how my legs feel right now I clearly have some work to do!

Nice paces Julia! I am a morning runner by necessity, but the dark winter mornings are so tough especially when the siren song of my quilts is deafening!

Julia1971

I just had my first 50-mile week since October. Small victories!

After a disappointing and injury-riddled fall season, including running the Manchester City Marathon just to finish for the grand prix points, I have taken the last bunch of weeks to heal and very slowly build back to normal mileage. No real workouts yet, just 2 medium-long runs (one that was not a jog) and some strides this week. Otherwise all short, easy runs.

I drew up an 18 week training plan working backward from Vermont City. So my "marathon training" starts January 19th. Until then I'll continue to gradually increase the mileage so that a 60 mile week feels normal by the time the schedule starts. Boston falls at the beginning of the 14th week of the plan, just under 5 weeks before Vermont.

I have an idea in my head for my goal at Boston ... I'd like to run the final 10k in under 40 minutes. That's my PR marathon pace, but for just the last 10k. I think if I'm able to do that it will force me to keep things well in check for the first 20 miles, it will have maximum workout value with minimum (for a marathon) recovery, and it will be a big confidence boost heading into the final few weeks of prep for Vermont. I'll see how things are going as I really get into my training, but right now that's the plan.

And thank God the holidays are over--I'm about 8-10 lbs above racing weight right now. I'd like to drop about 4-5 of it before the end of January because trying to push through big tempos and hill workouts carrying this load will be no fun at all.

Happy trails, all.

I still have New Year's Eve.    And, I've been carrying an extra 5 around all year that I'd like to see gone.

Have you thought much about what you're going to do in the month between Boston and Vermont City?  (I have the opposite scenario - a month between my goal marathon and Boston.)

Julia1971

Sounds familiar!  This was my first week up around 50 miles since just before the Manchester City Marathon and these past weeks have been more about rest and social miles for the most part. Striders and some tempo stuff here and there, but now I get serious again.

That said, I won't get into 20-mile runs until late January/early February. I just don't recover as quickly these days and the focus in this training cycle needs to be more on quality than quantity (typing that out loud so I behave). Today's run was with teammates on the Five College Realtors 10-mile course in Amherst. It's the first race of the USATF-NE GP road series once again. Even though I live out here, I curse aloud up the hills on this route each time. Given how my legs feel right now I clearly have some work to do!

Nice paces Julia! I am a morning runner by necessity, but the dark winter mornings are so tough especially when the siren song of my quilts is deafening!

That's good!  Even though I feel like I integrate hills into my medium long runs, I usually don't have that tired leg feeling.  I just slow down to account for the hills.  Smile

I think my New Year's Resolution will involve setting my alarm clock for something like 5/5:30am.  (Right now, I'm like Kramer and don't set an alarm.  It's surprising I get up before 8am at all).

bhearn

My acceptance card with my updated time came in the mail today.

Mine too, from Tucson, three weeks ago.

doctorjen

Ran just shy of 14 hilly miles today, most with a group who was out for an easy jog after their harder miles yesterday. Felt just fine even on the hills. I'm kinda done with winter, though, even though it's technically only been here a week.

I noticed people talking about crowded running. Anyone know how crowded it is in the 3:45 range?

Have you thought much about what you're going to do in the month between Boston and Vermont City?  (I have the opposite scenario - a month between my goal marathon and Boston.)

I've thought about it a lot--I did these same two marathons last year, although last year I didn't decide to run VCM until after Boston. Still, I learned a lot from that experience.

Runners run

runnershawn

Yes, I felt that Rita Jeptoo had an advantage over me, since she started an hour and a half before me.

Yes and plenty of drugs so you beat her!!

Julia1971

Check in to report...

• I was right to be suspicious of that fabric.  It's weird.  The sleeves are study, typical, heavy to medium weight fabric but the body is this weird paper thin material.  I've only worn it once and am not sure what to think of it.
                  • Hill work is progressing nicely.  I ran a rolling hills 4 miler on NYE just under 28:00 (13th woman, 3rd AG).  I can't remember the last time I passed more people than passed me.  Smile  And on my long run today, I purposefully charged the hills to build some strength in my legs.

Cut back week ahead.  A cold front is moving in so I'll be logging a lot of miles on the treadmill.  Ending with a 10M race on Saturday.

northernman

Fight The Future

103 days to go. Hope everyone is feeling well.

• Good work on the hills, Julia.

I've managed to go for one and a half weeks now on the Hanson's schedule, and no leg pain at all. This in my new Brooks adrenaline shoes. I wonder if all my injuries last year were from shoes that were too old? The odd thing is that my leg strength and endurance seem OK after so many months off, but my cardiovascular fitness is completely terrible. I thought it would be the other way around, since I had been working on elliptical and arc trainer machines to try to maintain heart and lungs. My heart rate is ridiculous, even on easy runs, I exceed my max heart rate  - well, predicted max anyway.

Today I did intervals, 6 x 0.5 mile with 400 recovery. Have never been a big fan of sprinting, so I didn't go quite as fast as the book said to, but I added incline to make them fake intervals. Felt quite good. Rest day tomorrow, which works out well, since it should be the coldest day of the year (schools are cancelled too!!)

Julia1971

103 days to go. Hope everyone is feeling well.

• Good work on the hills, Julia.

I've managed to go for one and a half weeks now on the Hanson's schedule, and no leg pain at all. This in my new Brooks adrenaline shoes. I wonder if all my injuries last year were from shoes that were too old? The odd thing is that my leg strength and endurance seem OK after so many months off, but my cardiovascular fitness is completely terrible. I thought it would be the other way around, since I had been working on elliptical and arc trainer machines to try to maintain heart and lungs. My heart rate is ridiculous, even on easy runs, I exceed my max heart rate  - well, predicted max anyway.

Today I did intervals, 6 x 0.5 mile with 400 recovery. Have never been a big fan of sprinting, so I didn't go quite as fast as the book said to, but I added incline to make them fake intervals. Felt quite good. Rest day tomorrow, which works out well, since it should be the coldest day of the year (schools are cancelled too!!)

That is great news!  I know I start to get soreness and pain in my lower legs when my shoes hit about 300 miles, so I try to retire them around that point.  It's expensive, but I think it's one of the reasons why I've remained injury free in my running career.  And, good luck getting the cardio fitness back.  Mother Nature is not making it easy for a lot of us this week.

yond

2015 will be my first Boston.  I am currently following advanced marathoning 18/85 plan.  My goal time is 2:55.

onemile

First look at the jacket.  Link   I'm not thrilled with the colors.  Will you be buying?

Will you be buying?

Um ... no? But I'm sure it will look great on all you guys.

Runners run

Um ... no? But I'm sure it will look great on all you guys.

on you

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              bhearn

I think it's not bad, and something different from recent years. But I don't need another one.