My pace is really improving! (Read 962 times)

Now that was a bath...

My pace has got so much faster! Today I have been running for one month so I thought that I would have a look at my pace averages. Admittedly in week one I did do a really slow run which was tantamount to walking with rhythm Tongue but I am definitely getting faster. Week one average pace = 12.69 Week two average pace = 11.12 Week three average pace = 10.60 Week four average pace = 9.86 It's great seeing the improvement and its weird because i don't 'feel like I am running any faster, I guess I am getting fitter. Of course I expect that you make lot's of progress in the begining and then that tapers out quite quickly - otherwise I could be winning my first marathon in say...five weeks, lol! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Finished!

holy smokes! those pace improvements are fantastic! I seem to be plateaued right at 11:30 or so...at least for training runs Roll eyes
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Of course I expect that you make lot's of progress in the begining and then that tapers out quite quickly - otherwise I could be winning my first marathon in say...five weeks, lol! Claire xxx
        I've been doing this running thing for almost 9 months now and still haven't seen progress like you are--you are da woman! I started at probably a 13 minute/mile pace and still do no better than about 10 after all these months. I'd say you have some natural ability. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yep! Big grin It's so fun watching yourself get faster and faster!

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Week one average pace = 12.69 Week two average pace = 11.12 Week three average pace = 10.60 Week four average pace = 9.86
            Uh. Improvement? This is more than "improvement." This is ... phenomenal. That would be impressive in a year. In a month? Amazing. Were you an athlete in high school/college? If you weren't, you probably should have been. Because that is unreal. What are you doing? Can you teach us? Does it come in a pill? Do we need to make you submit to random drug tests?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What...no bets? Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

What...no bets? Wink k
                I wouldn't even know what to bet on. She's due to break the three minute mile by Valentine's Day. By summer, she may actually be travelling backwards in time when she runs. Or something. Ask Jeff, he'd know. That's physics. I just wanna know how she's doing it. Or the rest of the story. If it turns out she was the 1986 European women's 5000 meter champ, I'm going to laugh. If she's really a beginner, I want that drug test. Or at least I want her to share her magic juice.

Now that was a bath...

Poke - stop teasing me Sir Jake Big grin I think the only thing that made me run in my teenage yearswas the police! I left home at fifteen and lived on the streets for three years I started running five years ago (I was still a smoker then and I actually took my ciggies on the run and occasionally I would even run to the liquor store to buy more beer! A model athlete that's me!) I only ran about once a week and only about 2 miles. It was a stress reliever for me. I haven't ran at all in the last 20 months thanks to pregnancy and caring for a new baby/ large family and this is the first time I have ever thought about running long distances and training properly. I am proud of the fact that I now take care of my body and just being able to run five miles with ease feels like a huge achievement for someone with my past life. Most people that meet me now would be shocked if they knew what I used to be like! Thanks for the supportive words everyone! Claire xxx
                  JakeKnight

In all seriousness ... if you continue to improve that rapidly, on pretty low mileage, you might want to consider getting more serious about it at some point. Maybe start by finding a local runner's group with some o' them "elite" runner types to give you a few pointers, tweak your training plan a bit (or give you a plan, if you don't have one). Maybe even finding a coach. Your improvement really is phenomenal. No other word for it. And running is one of the few athletic endeavors you can actually take up in your mid-30's and get pretty good at. You may have some real innate ability. Your joke about winning a marathon might not seem such a joke in 6 months. Should be interesting to watch.

Now that was a bath...

I honestly don't think that I will achieve anything more than some very minor ambitions but your words have definitely made me smile Embarrassed I see a lot of women on here running a lot faster! If I can end my first year training with a sub five hour marathon I will be tickled pink. In fact if I manage to finish it at all I will be purty darn happy! Jake, even the thought of me being successful at anything in 1986 puts a smile on my face - that year was definitely not a good vintage for me! Claire xxx
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

I wouldn't even know what to bet on.
                        It's been suggested that she might run a sub-26:00 by this time next year. I think if she continues to train well and stick with it it's very likely. How about it, Claire?

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Would Sir Jake have terms for that one? Lol, woot etc. Claire xxx

You'll ruin your knees!

Claire, Good for you! Your "story" is quite compelling and I am excited for you. It is amazing that you are able to make such positive progress....It's doubly amazing that you are able to do it as a young mother! Keep it up, cheers to you from Texas! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

I see a lot of women on here running a lot faster!
                              No, you don't. Not after four weeks of training.
                              If I can end my first year training with a sub five hour marathon I will be tickled pink. In fact if I manage to finish it at all I will be purty darn happy!
                              The fact that you're even using the word 'marathon' when you were a non-runner a whopping 30 days ago pretty much proves my point. You're a certifiable freak of nature. Someone in a white coat somewhere should probably be studying you. Either your current progress is going to come to a screeching halt any second now, or you're going to be awfully fast someday. Someday soon. And it really pisses me off, too. Tongue

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You're a certifiable freak of nature.
                                Not that there's anything wrong with that. We take pretty kindly to the freaky types around here. In fact, I think our RA motto should be "the freakier, the better!" Wink k

~ Sarah Kay