Garmin VS Polar (Read 3147 times)

I have just started an 18 week program for running a 1/2 marathon. using the on on Runners World website and was considering using one of these as a good training tool. I have done some reaerch and have talked to a few running stores about each and both sound good, but thought I would check the best source in the world for feedback and that would be here Smile So if any have some input and guidance on which would be better for training, foot pod vs gps, your feedback would be great. Thanks to all who reply. Mike.
      I have never used a Polar watch. I went GPS. Benefits of the 305 Forerunner GPS -Tracks your pace -Shows you where you have run -Keeps a History for you -Does basic caloric calculations -Let's be run randomly while keeping track of my distance -Beeps when you've reached a particular set lap distance.... like a mile -Has advanced training modes (I don't use) -Heart Rate Monitor (I don't use) -Has a virtual partner (I don't use) -Helps you get home if you get lost! You can get a Forerunner 305 for around $150, which isn't much in my opinion if running is something you do regularly.

Vim

I have just started an 18 week program for running a 1/2 marathon. using the on on Runners World website and was considering using one of these as a good training tool. I have done some reaerch and have talked to a few running stores about each and both sound good, but thought I would check the best source in the world for feedback and that would be here Smile So if any have some input and guidance on which would be better for training, foot pod vs gps, your feedback would be great. Thanks to all who reply. Mike.
        GPS all the way!!!! I have a Polar and a Garmin and the Garmin just has too many cool features that you don't get with the Polar. Just my 2 cents.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I have never used a Polar watch. I went GPS. Benefits of the 305 Forerunner GPS -Tracks your pace -Shows you where you have run -Keeps a History for you -Does basic caloric calculations -Let's be run randomly while keeping track of my distance -Beeps when you've reached a particular set lap distance.... like a mile -Has advanced training modes (I don't use) -Heart Rate Monitor (I don't use) -Has a virtual partner (I don't use) -Helps you get home if you get lost! You can get a Forerunner 305 for around $150, which isn't much in my opinion if running is something you do regularly.
          Don't forget it the training workouts that you can do. I did my first interval workout today thanks to my garmmy.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

I use the Polar and it works pretty well and is accurate. Garmin just came out with a footpod based model, the Garmin 50, which is cheaper than the Polar and is Mac-compatible. Check it out. If you don't need the mapping, and don't expect to get lost, you might want to check out the footpod model, which also works indoors and on a treadmill. Modal listed the advantages of a GPS. The footpod (both) has a few: -Long battery life (no constant recharging the watch) -No waiting to acquire satellites or losing lock, especially among tall buildings or in dense woods -Lower cost, but not much lower with all the discounts available on the 305 -Not so geeky looking, it looks like a regular watch and you can wear as a wristwatch unlike the GPS -Altitude is fairly accurate Disadvantages of the Polar: -Display is not very readable -Software is not user-friendly and can't download to a Mac (even with emulation software) -Expensive compared to the Garmin 50 -Accuracy of altitude is questionable (can be corrected with the online log) Overall the Polar works well for me and is accurate to around 2%. If I were buying now (and I might soon), I'd look at the Garmin 50 vs. the 305. I don't think the Garmin 50 displays altitude, but I could be wrong. With the lack of Mac-compatibility, low-contrast display and somewhat poorly designed interface, I probably wouldn't get the Polar.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I think after all research and information provided the 305 will be my choice also. now the question is do you purchase online or from your local running store. Online seems like the cheapest place but i also like to support my local running store , but if i can save a $100 or so online well guess where i must go! So any good place online to purchase my new305?. Thanks again for your input. Mie.
                Bought mine online. Not sure about you but I do TONS to support local running store. I mean when I go and buy shoes (every few months) I usually buy at least two pair (not cheap shoes either) plus everything else I need running related. http://www.gosale.com/4661470/garmin-forerunner-305-wrist?gclid=CJKvq6PCmI8CFSBMGgodViSJew

Imminent Catastrophe

Like Pam said, if you buy shoes and clothes at the local store you're supporting them, don't feel obligated to spend the big bucks for the GPS. The exception would be if you spent a long time asking them questions about the GPS then buy it elsewhere, that would be kind of tacky.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The exception would be if you spent a long time asking them questions about the GPS then buy it elsewhere, that would be kind of tacky.
                    Good Point!

So any good place online to purchase my new305?. Thanks again for your input. Mie.
                      I ordered mine online from Walmart and had it delivered at home, although you can also have it sent to a local store and pick it up (for free). The 205 was available from other online vendors for a lower price, but I wanted an easy return-policy in case it freaks out on me, as some people have had a problem with. Don't get me wrong, i never considered anything else, having come from the Garmin 201 (3 years old) and all of it's acting up during that time. I think the $50 rebate may still be available - check the Garmin website (The $75 rebate is for a different model, I think).
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Don't forget that there is also a $50 refund if you buy the 305 in the next month or so: (forum topic)

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I got mine at www.buy.com and also used www.fatwallet.com cashback (You might want to check www.slickdeals.net for their cashback at buy.com it might be more.). Cashback is small but it's a few extra bucks in your pocket If I did it over again I'd probably go with www.Walmart.com. My question on getting the 305 unit cheap http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/4bf043fe568542fbaf02686f96523196

Vim

Thanks for all the info on the online shopping. Found some good pricing on amazon also. thanks again and this is why this site is the best not for the information but alsop the people, happy running all.
                              oh man this is tempting. I really want one, but have spent way too much money over the years on this type of thing: timex speed+distance (impossible to run with) cheap polar HRM polar 625sx ($$$)
                                Ugh. I blame you all. I just bought one.