Bad pain on the outside-bottom of my foot (Read 152 times)

Sigma113

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have experience a similar problem to what I'm having.. a huge pain on the bottom right side of my right foot... it's bad I am walking with a horrendous limp right now.

Brief background about my running experience.  I regularly go for a mile and a half run.  Sometimes I mix it up and run for 3 or even 6 miles.  I run at least 5 days a week and I've never really had any problems my whole life, other than just usual soreness.  But I just recently ran a 5k, and I ran it for speed and time so I exerted myself much harder than usual.  I felt fine during the run, felt great in fact.. and nothing notable happened that would cause an injury.. but I drove home to take a shower and by the time I got out of my car, there was a sharp pain right on the bottom outside part of my right foot.  I marked the area that hurts in red on these illustrations...

Anyway it's been about 3 days now.. hate to say it,but it feels no better than it did on the first day.  The pain is acute enough that it's giving me a very pronounced limp.  Walking anywhere over 100 meters is almost unbearable at this point.

I did visit my doctor, but it's a military doctor and he doesn't want to admit anything is wrong with me.  He just suggested for me to buy new running shoes with arch support--which I do intend to do--but for the time being I'm stuck with excruciating pain.  I'm taking about 600mg of Ibuprofin a day which doesn't really help prevent  the limp.  I've been icing the area and it's not helping either.

I know my most obvious course is to go back to the doctor and demand an MRI scan or something.. but just curious if this is a common running ailment because I'm getting mixed results on Google.  Sounds like either plantar fasciitis or peroneal tendonitis?  I know the whole self-diagnosing with Google probably is unwise Undecided

Anyway I've tried to basically self-treat this to see if it'll get better on its own, I can't find an effective way to wrap it with an ace bandage.. no matter which different parts of my foot I wrap it just seems to intensify the pain.  As I lounge about the house barefoot it hurts a bit less, but the pain gets much, much worse when I put shoes on.

Any advice/experience that may be relevant to my problem?  Thanks

Needs more cowbell!

Peroneal tendon is my guess, as well.  I dealt with this for a while when I was in a somewhat stiff shoe (the NB 767, which wasn't really all that stiff compared to everything out there).  I can't wear anything more structured than a very mild stability performance trainer or it starts to mutter at me, again.  Right now I've been in Nike Frees exclusively for a little over a year.  I don't know that stiffer shoes cause this issue in others, though.  I think my feet are just weird.  Anything with much structure at all makes me feel like my feet are "fighting" the shoe.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

jamezilla

Follower of Forrest

I'll play internet doctor...

Sounds like what I went through with a self-diagnosed case of peroneal tendonitis in December.  I liked epsom salt soaks when I went through that.  3 weeks off.  The sharp pain lasted maybe 4-5 days.  At about that point I started making an effort to stay off it.  I found that taping helped...stirrups and along with wrapping the ankle while crossing the bottom of the foot so that it pulls up...I can't find the youtube video I used.  Anyways, after 3 weeks I started up again running at a ridiculously slow pace.  A week of that and I was good to go.

Sorry to hear it.  Take it easy...it'll be good as new before you know it.

6/21 - Manitou's Revenge 54mi

A man may never run the same trail twice for it is not the same trail and he is not the same man

Queen of 3rd Place

Peroneal tendon is my guess, as well.  I dealt with this for a while when I was in a somewhat stiff shoe (the NB 767, which wasn't really all that stiff compared to everything out there).  I can't wear anything more structured than a very mild stability performance trainer or it starts to mutter at me, again.  Right now I've been in Nike Frees exclusively for a little over a year.  I don't know that stiffer shoes cause this issue in others, though.  I think my feet are just weird.  Anything with much structure at all makes me feel like my feet are "fighting" the shoe.

Exactly my experience when I was a brand-spanking new runner and bought shoes at Foot Locker. The gal sold me the most expensive shoe in the place, said it was the best running shoe out there, Asics Gel Nimbus, IIRC. Now I rotate among racing flats and light trainers (Saucony Kinvara and the like). This change also fixed my PF problem. Feet have been fine now since 2007 (except for the &%^% abcess I just had drained yesterday).

Ex runner

Jerryb49

Here's some peroneal exercises.  Mine got better.  There's more on YouTube.

http://archive.aweber.com/ata1/1Chpg/h/ATA_Newsletter_1.htm

First HM :     Covenant Health Knoxville HM 4/2013 2:24 

Last HM :     Michelob ULTRA Miami HM 2:31

Next HM :    Big Ten 10K, Chicago  7/26

Lifetime Fitness Chicago HM 9/7.

IMT Des Moines HM, 10/19

Bad Ass

I get that pain from time to time but mainly because I tore than tendon 20 years ago.  The exercises should help.  Good luck!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

This is EXACTLY where I'm having pain....can barely walk. Consulting Dr Google with the search term "pain on outside bottom of foot" brought me to this post. I can't even walk right now Sad the site Jerry posted here was very helpful.... I have really tight calves and my foot overpronates and that has caused other injuries in the past such as ITBS.....ugh I want no injuries!!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Turtle Butt

I had the same thing in my right foot a few months ago. Now its in my left (with some added heal pain). I bought tennis balls and rolled my foot and calf. Sometimes I use a wooden rolling pin too. I also didn't run until the pain was completely gone. I haven't had a problem with my right foot since. My left just started a few days ago.

2014 Goals

Run at least 1000 miles

Would LOVE a sub 30 5k (but ain't countin on it)

Sub 2:30 half

1st Marathon...oh, it's ON

Not dead. Yet.

Try the Green Superfeet inserts.  They solved my problem.  I also now rotate my shoes a few times a week, which I am convinced helps stave off all kinds of injuries.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?