My first real tempo run this year! (Read 1067 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Real happy with my run today at lunchtime. Got out and did a 20 minute tempo run (plus 1.5 mi up, 1.25 down) and for the first time all year since I re-re-re-re-re-re-started running, I managed to run outside of my comfort zone the whole time w/o stopping or slowing down. Big grin It didn't hurt that it was overcast or an unseasonably cool 81°F either!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It didn't hurt that it was overcast or an unseasonably cool 81°F either!
      Or that you had that cool gadget on your wrist to help you keep your pace! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Or that you had that cool gadget on your wrist to help you keep your pace!
        Yeah, that's definitely true. It was a pre-programmed workout that I set up before I ran. (Schwing!) Only problem was that I stupidly left my heart rate strap at home, so I'm just gonna have to do it all over again tomorrow! Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...you have the one with the HRM. Not sure I would spring for that model--I don't know that I have any interest in tracking that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ahhh...you have the one with the HRM. Not sure I would spring for that model--I don't know that I have any interest in tracking that.
            HRM is nice, but not completely necessary. I've always found that they are really good for two things: 1) making sure you don't go too fast on days that are supposed to be easy (recovery runs, easy runs during taper) 2) helping you push on days you are supposed to go fast. I guess for me it's also good for comparing exertion on runs I do at home (very hilly) and runs I do at work (very flat) since it's impossible to compare pace between the two. Plus, I'm an engineer. I love data. Big grin

Prophet!

Kudos on the tempo run Jeff.
              1) making sure you don't go too fast on days that are supposed to be easy (recovery runs, easy runs during taper) 2) helping you push on days you are supposed to go fast.
              3) they help me find out when my cruising pace is improving or not...my perceived effort 'easy' pace few weeks ago was about 9:30 - 9:45 at average HR of about 138. That pace still feels like my 'easy' pace today but if i run at that pace my average HR goes down to about 132. Trying to maintain average of 138 - 140 brings my pace up to 9:00 - 9:15 and it still feels really easy and after a few days my perceived effort 'easy' runs corresponds to this new pace now...does this make sense...i'm hungry! Again i probably will find this out without the HRM but it might take longer. Eventually i'll be able to dial may pace down and throw away the HRM, but for now it helps me figure things out.
                Plus, I'm an engineer. I love data. Big grin
                This is really the only reason that matters to me. MTA: Nice job on the tempo run there, Jeff.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Member Since 2008

I mainly use my HRM for counting calories. It seems to be alot more accurate.
                    Real happy with my run today at lunchtime. Got out and did a 20 minute tempo run (plus 1.5 mi up, 1.25 down) and for the first time all year since I re-re-re-re-re-re-started running, I managed to run outside of my comfort zone the whole time w/o stopping or slowing down. Big grin It didn't hurt that it was overcast or an unseasonably cool 81°F either!
                    Checked your description --- great run! I really need to get into tempo runs --- I recently read (Runner's World?) that, if done consistently and correctly, tempo runs are a really great way to improve speed!
                    2009: BQ?
                      I did my first tempo run this week too. It was also my first ever run with my husband (he was doing an easy run!) Tempo runs are definitely supposed to be great for increasing speed - I certainly hope so - 5k race in 4 and 1/2 weeks!