Solid Core Workout (Read 207 times)

Carousel

Hey everyone,

My friend and I came up with a quick, challenging core routine for runners.  It only takes 6-8 minutes, but you'll feel a noticeable increase in core strength after a couple of weeks.  We created a video to share with people who are looking for a solid workout.

Here's a link to the video (sorry about the quality):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32BiR7XaJWI

Let us know if it helps, or if you have any improvements to the routine!

Run Well!

-Carousel

Good stuff.  I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on strength exercises because I admit I don't do much of it and I don't know enough about detail stuff.  But I know enough to say that it's not a good approach to strengthen only one side of your body.  For example, if you "artificially" strengthen quads, then you should also strengthen your hamstrings as well.  Otherwise you'll create muscle imbalance which can be worse than not strengthening them at all.  I noticed, besides the side exercise, ALL of your core exercises are for the front of your body.  While all these exercises are good, the whole routine may not be complete because of that--something to think about.

For a runner, I believe the best way to strengthen your core is to run rugged cross country terrains.  Go to some golf course or nature preserve if you have it around your area, go up and down the hills and jump over bushes/trees, etc.  You'd be surprised how much you strengthen your core in a very natural way.

Hey everyone,

My friend and I came up with a quick, challenging core routine for runners.  It only takes 6-8 minutes, but you'll feel a noticeable increase in core strength after a couple of weeks.  We created a video to share with people who are looking for a solid workout.

Here's a link to the video (sorry about the quality):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32BiR7XaJWI

Let us know if it helps, or if you have any improvements to the routine!

Run Well!

-Carousel

Carousel

Very cool.  Thanks for the insight, Nobby.  We often supplement this with a 3 minute plank workout, but I have seen articles that say trail running and hill sprints are great for building a strong core.  I'll remember your post next time I have the opportunity to hop over an obstacle on a run.   I guess supermans or some back extensions would also be a nice addition to keep a balanced core.

Quick question. Do you rest at all in between exercises or just go right to the next one?

Carousel

The goal is to transition from one exercise to the next without rest.  It can be challenging, but once you've built a base, it gets significantly easier... Just like running.  It might be good to start out at 25-30 seconds for each exercise and work you way up to a minute per.  

Quick question. Do you rest at all in between exercises or just go right to the next one?

Here's a few lower back exercises for one of the other sides of the core. (just grabbed these off the top of a google search)

When I did a winter xt class for runners a few years ago, we did about 1+ hr of warmup, submax plyos (drills, jumps), etc then 20-30 min of core - both front and back, although a ton of lower abs (beyond where most people cried "uncle" or had to skip a couple).  I really need to get back to doing them on my own because I can feel the difference late in a race. I think most people can benefit from strengthening core - even beyond running trails and hills.

I hadn't realized how much core trails used until about 3 yr ago when I had some laproscopic surgery near belly button. I had no trouble walking around the flat hospital floor or grocery store, but I was more than challenged just walking on snow-covered trail. Used poles and snowshoes. I could move enough on a tm for cardio, but just walking slowly, even on snowshoes, was challenging until I got the core stability back.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog