advice on building my base (Read 220 times)

runninggirl30

What would you recommend.....

Currently I run 4 days a week with 3 days at 3 or 3.5m and one day at 4m.  I am slowly increasing my mpw  (adding about 10% maybe a little more depending on how I feel).  I want to establish a long run so would you recommend increasing that 4m day (I'd like to get it up to at least 10-12 for my LR)  or would you increase all the days to get my mpw up?

an amazing likeness

Do both.

You don't want to end up with 3 days @ 3mi and 1 day @ 10-12.

Increase the daily run distances as best you can while you stretch out that long day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

MT gives you solid advice. I don't like my long run to be more than say 35% of my weekly mileage. The long run is one component of training; it is not everything.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

endlessrun

I agree, you should increase overall mileage as well as LR.  There's lots of scenarios.  Here's one:

3-3-3-4, 3-3-4-4, 3-3-4-5, 3-4-5-5

3-4-5-6, 3-4-5-7, 3-4-6-8, 3-4-5-7

3-5-5-8, 3-5-6-9, 3-5-7-10

Eleven weeks to get up to 10 miles LR.  One week is a pullback mileage week to rest your body.  You may also feel a need to repeat a week until you're comfortable with the distance.  Also, it's a good idea to make one of the shorter runs a fast one because then the long, slow run seems easier.

runninggirl30

Thanks endlessrun!!!

I think I'm gonna use that plan!  The first week already looks like what I will be running this week.  Today I'll be doing the third day of 3m and tomorrow I plan on doing that 4m.  10 wks seems like forever but I guess you shouldn't rush these things.  I'm not a patient person! 

runninggirl30

I agree, you should increase overall mileage as well as LR.  There's lots of scenarios.  Here's one:

3-3-3-4, 3-3-4-4, 3-3-4-5, 3-4-5-5

3-4-5-6, 3-4-5-7, 3-4-6-8, 3-4-5-7

3-5-5-8, 3-5-6-9, 3-5-7-10

Eleven weeks to get up to 10 miles LR.  One week is a pullback mileage week to rest your body.  You may also feel a need to repeat a week until you're comfortable with the distance.  Also, it's a good idea to make one of the shorter runs a fast one because then the long, slow run seems easier.

Where would you recommend going from here?  Should I continue to increase the days or add a day?  I'd like to eventually get up to 40mpw (I was doing that about 2 yrs ago) but I had no system or plan. I kind of just added miles every week.

Don't be afraid to let your weekly mileage plateau for a few weeks and let your body adjust ever so often. Building a base doesn't mean always increasing mileage. The changes you are looking for only happen gradually and sometimes the best thing to do is to let your body adjust to a new work load and just let the mileage "soak in".

Runners run

runninggirl30

Don't be afraid to let your weekly mileage plateau for a few weeks and let your body adjust ever so often. Building a base doesn't mean always increasing mileage. The changes you are looking for only happen gradually and sometimes the best thing to do is to let your body adjust to a new work load and just let the mileage "soak in".

Good advice, thanks!  I'll try to remember that 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Don't be afraid to let your weekly mileage plateau for a few weeks and let your body adjust ever so often.

Yeah, this is sagely.

Endless's plan looks pretty good, though I don't think I'd abut a 7 and 10 day.   I'm personally, trying to get up to a 15mi LR from an injury.  So, I'm base building a bit differently.  I've decided to work up to 5 days of 6mi and one of 8mi.  Then I plan to inch up that 8mi to 15 over the next month an a half.  Not exactly how I originally planed to do this; I had to alter things because the 6mi runs were still a chore for a while and the residual injury was bugging me.

And just to put a fine point on it, don't be afraid to take a step back for a week.  It does a body good in the long run (pun intended).

Good luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

an amazing likeness

I sincerely think a fixed plan of stepping to x, then y for someone who runs 3 or 3.5 per day is unrealistic. Just run more each day you can. Level off or fall back when needed to let your body absorb the new workload. It's a journey, not an express-lane straight-shot. This is not the best place to apply a rigid plan.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mariposai

Do both.

You don't want to end up with 3 days @ 3mi and 1 day @ 10-12.

Increase the daily run distances as best you can while you stretch out that long day.

Listen to Milktruck, he has experience and he is very cool.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pedaling fool

Good advice, thanks!  I'll try to remember that 

Yes, that is good advice and I've been unable to follow that advice, unfortunately, but I'm still trying. It's called, "Building an Aerobic Engine" or the perfect fat-burning machine. Listen to the video of Mark Allen describing exactly my problem (slow/easy workouts are not sexy and you just don't feel like you've accomplished much) on this link  http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/mark-allen-talks-about-building-an-aerobic-base/

Here's another link talking about this method. http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/mark-allens-training.html

Excerpt:

"Allen used a fairly complex formula to determine an aerobic endurance training heart rate zone based mostly on age and experience. I’ve found it’s remarkably accurate and closely matches the zone 2 training I have athletes do in their Base periods. His long, steady sessions at this rather low effort built a great aerobic engine. His goal was to get as fast as possible at a low effort. That’s a great goal.

Using the formula he determined his aerobic endurance training heart rate was about 155 bpm and so would spend hours running and riding at that intensity in the first period. He says that when he first started he was running 8:15 mile pace (5:09/km) at 155 bpm. After a few weeks he was running 5:20 per mile (3:20/km) at the same heart rate. That’s a whopping 35% improvement. How would you like to run 35% faster or raise your FTP on the bike by 35%?"

Latent Runner

My take on the vast majority of the popular science behind running is that it is more hype than anything else.  For a non-runner (or novice runner) to become a good intermediate to advanced "age grouper" for 5K and longer events, said runner needs lots and lots of long slow miles; simple as that.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                            • 2-mile: 13:49
                            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                            • 5-Mile: 37:24
                            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                            NHLA

Just add one mile per week to your long run. Latter increase distance on your other runs.

The good news is adding miles gets easier after you can run five miles without stopping

and following this method every mile you add is easier than the last until you get over 12 miles.

After 12 miles every mile gets harder.

It is easier to build a good base if you run every day.  I found I can run 8 miles every day and recover without a rest day.

Your magic distance may be different.

If I run a 20+ mile run or 30 miles on the weekend I will take a rest day.

Relax you have plenty of time. You can't cram on a farm.