Time off for a holiday (Read 774 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

My family and I are off on our holiday tommorro, just to Center Parcs in UK, first holiday together a sa family since having our baby girl. I can't believe I am not going to be able to run for a week. I kind of made a joke about going for morning runs while away, and that my wife wouldn't even know that I was gone as I would leave while she was sleeping, (though I was totally serious, she thought I was pulling her leg)! I realise that it would be wrong of me to go running whilst away, so I am going to leave the running trainers behind, what do you all think about having a week off the running? What are your experiences and how will it effect my current progresses? Wink

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I realise that it would be wrong of me to go running whilst away, so I am going to leave the running trainers behind, what do you all think about having a week off the running? What are your experiences and how will it effect my current progresses? Wink
      I think a week off here and there are good things. Gives your body time off and lets you mentally take a break and focus on other stuff. I'll usually take 5 days off every 3 months or so and general feel a lot better and much more "there" for my runs upon coming back.
        I guess I'm lucky. My husband doesn't mind that I run. He'd probably be more likely to complain that I wasn't running enough. Wink I get grumpy when I miss my runs! LOL! I ran 4 or 5 mornings while we were on vacation last month. We were at the beach and I loved running near the water. If you run early in the morning, why would your wife mind? I usually was back before dh or any of the kids woke up. I found running a great way to see parts of town that I wouldn't normally have had an opportunity to see. I had some great runs through the historic part of town, off the beaten track and saw some beatiful homes as well as some of the local wildlife. Wink I did run shorter than I probably would have at home and I probably ran fewer times than I would have at home as well. We're heading to Florida again later this month and I've already been online plotting out running routes from our hotel. Smile Have a great trip whether you run or not! Teresa
          I don't think a week would hurt your progress, but I would bring the shoes just in case you feel the need to run. Oh, and enjoy your holiday - I can't wait for the end of the month when we get to go home to Florida for a week.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't think a week would hurt your progress, but I would bring the shoes just in case you feel the need to run.
            Agreed. I've had some really enjoyable runs on vacations/trips because of the change of scenery and chance to do something different. I once squeezed in a run while on a business trip in Kumamoto, Japan and I was so glad I did. I ran a simple out and back because I didn't want to get lost in a foreign land. I started out downtown and the road I was on took me into almost farm village type country. It was like I was going further back in time with each step. I'm sure the folks out there were puzzled by the big goofy white guy waving and saying "Ohayo gozaimasu" (good morning) to them. My point: vacation/holiday can often produce opportunities for memorable runs, so bring your shoes!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Dog-Love

I always run on vacation. Just got back from 2 weeks on a roadtrip/camp trip with dh and 2 kids through Alaska and the Yukon. I got to run12 miles on the Alaska Highway, 6 miles through Denali Park, 5 miles on the top of the world highway to name a few. My husband drives the distance I want to run and I meet him there. Or I leave the campsite 2 hours before him and the kids and he picks me up where ever I get to and tells me how far I went. He is my own personal Garmin. Anyway...I was hesitant to run alone in the AK wilderness but got over it and loved my runs. My husband bikes so I reciprocated with including his bike rides in whenever he wanted.
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              btb1490

Here's a fun account of running (or not running) while on vacation from the blog of Lauren Fleshman, one of our countries top middle distance runners. http://dyestat.com/lauren/2007/02/28/training-on-vacation/ Hope you have a good holiday!