Low B12 (Read 819 times)

Go Pre!

I can't believe it, I thought I was getting near perfect health, went for my annual phyical last week. Doc called today, everything looks good...but...low B12. I need to go in for shots. Even though I eat well, incuding foods that have lots of B12, and I take (not religiously) B100 vitamins. Hmmm MTA: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/765.html Anyway, low B12 can affect energy levels among other things related to running. Hopefully the shots will make me real fast! D
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why did your doc test your B12? What is your hematocrit / PCV? Why does your doc believe that your B12 is low (i.e., what is the cause)?
        I heard somewhere that you can throw a baseball faster and win Cy Young awards into your mid-40's if you take high doses of B-12. Surprised

Bugs

I can't believe it, I thought I was getting near perfect health, went for my annual phyical last week. Doc called today, everything looks good...but...low B12. I need to go in for shots. Even though I eat well, incuding foods that have lots of B12, and I take (not religiously) B100 vitamins. Hmmm MTA: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/articles/765.html Anyway, low B12 can affect energy levels among other things related to running. Hopefully the shots will make me real fast! D
          Wow, are you a vegetarian? Is that a standard blood test? Lucky you to know and have an easy fix.

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is not a standard blood test. In fact, it is an odd thing to be tested unless you have anemia. Very odd.

Go Pre!

Why did your doc test your B12? What is your hematocrit / PCV? Why does your doc believe that your B12 is low (i.e., what is the cause)?
              It was part of a regular physical - no clue about the hematocrit / PCV not enough B12 rich foods ...althoughI eat rerally well...so I thought.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If your hematocrit is okay (your red blood cells) then you probably do not need supplementation, IMO.
                  not enough B12 rich foods ...althoughI eat rerally well...so I thought.
                  Guess that answers the Toronto food question, Trent Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey