Just Accidentally deleted another long post---aaah WARNING: Deleting posts by accident is easy to do (Read 584 times)

BeeRunB

I just accidentally deleted another long post by accident. Be careful, posters, if you are in the middle of writing a post and click on anything outside the post field for any reason (like checking another webpage, or using the scrollbar) and then come back to finish your post, and DON'T click back in the field at the insertion post, and hit DELETE for any reason, the browser will back up a page and delete everything you've written. My mistake is thinking I already clicked back at the insertion point, and wanting to delete a word, I press delete, and it deletes the whole post. Aaaahhhhhhh!!!

Frustrating. It never used to do that when I posted. I used to go off all the time and come back and never deleted one post by accident in two years. Something is different.

I have to be on my toes now.

Be careful!

--Jimmy

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sometimes in this case, you can use the browser forward button (alt-right-arrow is a shortcut for it, at least in Firefox 3.5) -- the opposite of the browser back button -- to get back to the page with the partially filled-in post displayed.

This may vary from browser to browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari -- I can't begin to keep track of them all).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

BeeRunB

I've always used Firefox, and when I use the backbutton, and go back, it's all gone.

Something as simple as using the browser's scrollbar, and not remembering to reinsert the cursor at the insertion point, and using the delete button will make it go POOF. Just  a frustrated warning to others. I've had at least 4 long posts deleted this way. It's the way it's going to be now, and you have to be really careful. That's the problem, I forget to click back in the field.

--jimmy

wyerock

The built in text recovery only works with plain text entry boxes.  When eric changed to the new editor, the text recovery stopped working.

You might try some add-ons if its a continuing problem: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984

There are a few, and I'm not sure which ones will work with RA properly.