Smokers (Read 973 times)

DoppleBock

For me it's when the in-laws come to visit ... Or after a great long run - I somehow feel I should be rewarded ... Or on a Thursday night, because everyone knows Thursdays are made for drinking ... Or ... 

Yes...I decided I was going to quit drinking beer for a month to lose a few extra pounds before my first marathon. I lasted a whole 4 days...it was 75 degrees outside in January...I was helpless to resist an ice cold beer!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Don't know about runner's high, but I hate the not hungry feeling on days I don't run.  No desire to eat, is this a sign of addiction?

Feeling the growl again

For me it's when the in-laws come to visit ... Or after a great long run - I somehow feel I should be rewarded ... Or on a Thursday night, because everyone knows Thursdays are made for drinking ... Or ... 

I thought it was Wednesdays....no, Fridays...

Dang it, I can't remember, guess I'll just try them all...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Don't know about runner's high, but I hate the not hungry feeling on days I don't run.  No desire to eat, is this a sign of addiction?

The not  hungry feeling?

I've rarely experienced that oneConfused

steph  

OK, I'm quitting drinking beer.  Just to say that I can.

At least for 4 days.

Jeff

Speaking of stinky women at the gym...there is this one woman (an elderly woman) who will hit the treadmill right next to me and REEKS like smoke.  Then, of course, after 20 minutes, the BO kicks in.

I don't know if she's a smoker, or someone in her family is, or what.  But, man...

Well, at least she's getting exercise.

Jeff

Running does the same thing. Apparently, it activates these things in your brain called "cannabinoids." Same chemicals that the marijuana plant activates.

I never used to believe in the runner's high, but somehow in my 30s I really started getting the runner's high. 

A certain percentage of lifetime runners totally end up talking like stoners. I have noticed this.

THAT is why my FIL think's I run so much. For the "high" lol. I think I've experienced it like 2 maybe 3 times in the close to 7 years I've been running'

OH and I'm a reformed smoker. Totally quit like a year or so after running though for the most part I only smoked when stressed or I was drinking

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Slice

This thread totally makes me want a drink now. I was trying not to tonight, but...

On smoking: I made DH quit 4 years ago and although smoky bars kill him and disgust him, he still wants one. At least he realized how gross it is now. And I really hate it when chain smoker lady tries to cover the smell with excessive perfume and you get both.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Timely topic- as I read this thread I'm in a dilema- A smoker wants to go with me tomorrow when I go snowboarding.We went once last season, in his car. He doesn't smoke in the car when other people are in it, but does by himself.So it stinks-stale cigarette smoke- awful. So we will have to take my car if we go, but he still has a cloud that follows him around. To get from here to Stevens pass I spend quite a few hours in the car. Folks like this are clueless as to their effects on the non-smokers among us. (I smoked for a few years decades ago, but gave it up, sure glad I did.)

BeeRunB

Speaking of stinky women at the gym...there is this one woman (an elderly woman) who will hit the treadmill right next to me and REEKS like smoke.  Then, of course, after 20 minutes, the BO kicks in.

I don't know if she's a smoker, or someone in her family is, or what.  But, man...

Well, at least she's getting exercise.

Cool

drrbradford

Smoke smells differently at different times of year too. Usually it is stickier in cold weather. I remember at my grandparent's house, a can of Coke would taste differently...it had somehow seeped through aluminum. 

Bull shit.

And 'Crusted Salt' is terribly unfunny.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Bull shit.

And 'Crusted Salt' is terribly unfunny.

Wrong side of the bed?

steph  

Chris UK

Wrong side of the bed?

Runner's low.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Timely topic- as I read this thread I'm in a dilema- A smoker wants to go with me tomorrow when I go snowboarding.We went once last season, in his car. He doesn't smoke in the car when other people are in it, but does by himself.So it stinks-stale cigarette smoke- awful. So we will have to take my car if we go, but he still has a cloud that follows him around. To get from here to Stevens pass I spend quite a few hours in the car. Folks like this are clueless as to their effects on the non-smokers among us. (I smoked for a few years decades ago, but gave it up, sure glad I did.)

I always loved going skiing, in the great outdoors in Colorado or Utah, fresh air, clean, beautiful scenery, on the chair lift, quiet, only the occasional whir of the pulleys as you pass a pole, then the person riding the lift up with you lights up a smoke.

Weird.

Jeff

A few years ago, we took a vacation in a small alpine village in Switzerland.  Riding up the mountain in a cable car to ski, there were about 35-40 of us, mostly Europeans, packed into the car.  At least half the occupants were smoking.  If you weren't near a window -- and one that could be opened -- it was overwhelming.

I always wondered how people could so obviously embrace the outdoors and physical activity, yet smoke seemingly at every opportunity. Confused

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau