Husband and wife teams? (Read 868 times)

PWL

Has been

I was wondering how many people run/exercise with their significant others. I run with my wife pretty often and we tend to do pretty well--we both have fun. I know there are a few husband/wife teams on RA. Just kinda wondering...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Burninated Peasant

My wife and I would run together if I'd stop knocking her up. That is how we met, after all (running, I mean, not getting her knocked up).
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

did and I have talked about finding a triathlon relay of some sort--I would run, he would bike, and we'd need to find someone to do the swimming portion. I think that would be a really fun way for us to compete together. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'd love to start running with my wife but she doesn't get "the whole running thing". She thinks I'm nuts. We do my cross training together though. Spinning classes and some yoga that type of thing. I can't convince her to even give running a real open minded try so it's on my own most of the time.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Ryan and I have only recently started running together. We've gone on a few 2-3 mile runs in the last couple weeks. He's completely supportive of my running addiction, but definitely doesn't share it. He only goes b/c I beg him and he knows it's good for him. He's way faster than me (b/c he's a foot taller than me) and I usually struggle to keep up, but he's not much of a runner. He played water polo all through h.s. and college and is much more comfortable in the water than on land. (Zooms, I think I've found you a swimmer for your tri.) We've been talking about biking together, however, I have a slight fear of bikes that I need to conquer first. Wink We do take walks together with the dog and hike together. I'm going to keep woking on him about running with me. I think he'll eventually give in.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Zooms, I think I've found you a swimmer for your tri.)
              Hey! Now we just need to find a triathlon that does those relay team things. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

my husband and I sorta run together. After years and years of NOT seeing the joy in it (he used to bike while I ran), a few years of volunteering at Western States 100, and my gushing over how nice trail running was, inspired him and got him out there. He started a year ago June, ran his first 5k (trail) a year ago this coming weekend, and will run his first Marathon this Saturday. We don't really run "together", although we go to the trailhead together, and then wait for whoever ends up running the longest/furthest. He is faster than me, so only occasionally will I ask him to stay behind at a pace where I can keep him in sight (when there's been frequent sightings of mountain lions and bears). In fact, a few weeks ago we ran "together" for this reason. He ended up running ahead, then run back to find me, then run ahead again, then run back, etc. He said he felt like Samson (our dog) Clowning around. He ended up going 1 mile further than me, in total (6 instead of 5, or something about that), doing this. It was nice to have him waiting for me. What running together has provided us with is a common interest (where before he was a Karate Man). We can appreciatte the details of planning nutirional needs and energy intake for our long runs. We can travel together and understand the "race" jitters. We can appreciate the others accomplishments. Offer each other advice. And our kids see us enjoying ourselves on our running "dates", another important condiseration. A very postive thing, overall.
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  Ran my first race with my dh (Philadelphia Maratho) Ran my second race with dh ( runners world half marathon) and have ran a handfull of other race's with dh. A little while ago we did alot of running together (until he got really sick) now we run together once in a while since right now I'm running at a faster pace then he is. I'm hoping we'll be running Philly together (like we did the first time) this year. It is DEFINETLY nice to be able to share something like running with your partner for life!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

dh and I ran everything together for years. Then he got a slight injury at work a couple of years ago and his knee has never been the same. He won't run anything more than a mile or 2 at a time and it has to be on the sand. So, no more races for us. Sad He's healthy now, but being a lifeguard for 25+ years and 8 years until he can retire, he has to be careful.

Jennifer mm#1231

PWL

Has been

Follow up question would be how many husbands and wives on RA? I know of my wife and I, and Zoom and Did, and I think Rockenmam's dh is here somewhere as well. Maybe couples like their secret identities...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

My husband has been a runner for far longer than I have, but we can't run together because he's FAR too fast. I'm slow as molasses and he runs 19 minute 5Ks and 39 minute 10Ks and such. BUT...we coach a cross country team together at the high school where we both teach, so that's cool. And sometimes we sort of run together...we start the run together and he finishes like an hour before I do... He's got a profile on RA but he never posts or anything. He just set it up to keep a training log and for us to start a group for our XC team.
                          DH and I sometimes go out for runs at the same time - but he is faster and I tend to go further - so we do our own pace and just end up in the same general area. We do like to go to the gym together. He's not interested in online chat, and does not have a profile on RA.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Burninated Peasant

Follow up question would be how many husbands and wives on RA? I know of my wife and I, and Zoom and Did, and I think Rockenmam's dh is here somewhere as well. Maybe couples like their secret identities...
                            My wife (Stampgirljo) just joined this week. Since she's not pregnant at the moment, she's hoping to be able to run again.
                              my husband is here too after i converted him from that "other" free running log. he doesn't post
                              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                                I wish he liked running, but after 23 years in the US Marine Corps he will not run or wake up early if he doesn't absolutely have to. But once we went on a run and he said "that was fun, we should do it again. Maybe once a month." That was three months ago, and hasn't run with me since.
                                2009 Goals: Under 4 hr marathon reach and maintain 125 lbs PR in at least 3 distances 1300 miles Complete my first Ultra