Do your running goals change with the seasons? (Read 841 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Reason I ask is that I'm finding that I'm already thinking of my Winter running workouts with somewhat different intent than my Spring through Fall runs. When I first started running back in March I was looking at running as a means to drop a few pounds. So far that hasn't happened, since I soon decided that I wanted my running to be more in terms of training for races--and it's tough to lose weight and concentrate on nutrition for long-haul runs and races, I have found. But this Winter there will be several months where there aren't really any races in this area that I have any interest in running (at least not before late Feb. or so, and that is only a 10k). So my goals after my HM are more in terms of running ~20 miles/week (3-4 days) supplemented by some cross-training (partly to avoid really bad weather and to help strengthen muscles that don't get as much work with running and have caused me some minor issues). I also really want to drop my remaining 15#s that I've been fighting for the last few years, so my nutritional goals will be adjusted for that, too. So am I the only one doing this? Do you find your own running and/or eating following any seasonal cycles? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I really only resumed running this August after several years of road cycling, and I'm also looking toward the winter and what I want to do. I'm going to stick with 20-25 mi a week max, and do some upper body work. This past Columbus Day, I went surfing for the first time in a couple of months and almost FREAKED OUT at how weak my upper body has become from just running without taking my UB workout seriously. I did lose about 8# that I'd put on over the last few years, and my diet has always been very good, so it's just been a cardio fitness and mental well being thing for me. But I'm a paddling machine and I tell you, I missed more waves from UB weakness than I care to admit....that's enough to change my workout routine!
      Scout7

Well, I suppose I'm lucky in that there are a number of races throughout the year here. There's a mary in Nov., trail 15K around Thanksgiving, and a couple of winter road series. So I tend to keep busy pretty easy. However, my plan is to do a triathlon next year, so I'm going to start incorporating the swimming and cycling over the winter months as well.
        mikeymike

Generally I do most of my racing in spring and fall, and just run base mileage in the winter and summer.

Runners run

Last year I did a marathon in late November. However this year I don't have the time to train for a marathon ( or do it lol) I am however going to keep my weekly milage up between 20-35 and will be cross training as well. I don't think winter really effects my training since in order to have a better racing year next year I have to keep up with my base this year. I'm always looking to move forward in what I do.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Regina

I will have a break of about two weeks after my last HM mid of November and restart with about 30-40 km per week afterwards. During the winter I will increase my mileage up to about 70-80 km per week and do more long and easy running. I would like also to do more trail workouts because my season starts usually with some cross races in February and a HM in March. This is however difficult because it becomes dark so early in the winter and I have to run after work ... I prefer low temperatures for running as compared to the heat of the summer here in Italy - so I run outside all the winter.
                I sorta naturally peeter out in the fall. I don't know why,I think I get a little seasonal depression and always hide out and get a bit too skinny during the holiday season. Also, school starts and since I homeschool the boys, I'm always spending Sept and Oct trying to get them in a routine. This year, I decided to NOT peeter out and was planning to do a Dec marathon but now I'm leaning towards the Phoenix RnR in Jan. Either which way, I'm training like I have a race coming up, regardless of what I decide. I dunno...training schedule has me anywhere between 25 and 50miles a week until mid December?

Jennifer mm#1231

I'm playing around with the idea of running the Hyannis marathon in February so, I'm definitely planning on staying outside. The cold doesn't bother me much & as long as I can avoid being a speed bump (I run at night) I think I should be able to keep up with the training.
                  westsidefirst1

i dunno, kinda in the summer it is to get in shape for xc, then in the fall its to maintain that summer trainng and build pace and speed work on top of it for the races then in winter, we try to maintain the conditioning to carry it over to track, then do more intense speed training
                    Cntrygal

My goals haven't really changed - but I've had to make some adjustments... I failed to factor in ski season. oops
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ski season...where are you at? I'm really glad that I didn't get new boots and bindings for my XC skis or look at snowshoes. Just after I had given those options some thought our snow melted and we haven't had any sense. VERY strange weather for these parts. We generally average around 90" of snow in a season and I think this year we have had maybe a foot...hopefully we don't do a ton of catching up in Feb and March. k

~ Sarah Kay

Cntrygal

Ski season...where are you at? I'm really glad that I didn't get new boots and bindings for my XC skis or look at snowshoes. Just after I had given those options some thought our snow melted and we haven't had any sense. VERY strange weather for these parts. We generally average around 90" of snow in a season and I think this year we have had maybe a foot...hopefully we don't do a ton of catching up in Feb and March. k
                          I'm in Western South Dakota. We haven't gotten very much snow either - just enough for the two slopes here to open on a limited basis. But whenever I get the chance, I go over to Montana or Wyoming for a couple days (I'm planning a trip to snowy range this upcoming weekend).
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, I'd love to live so close to the rockies. I skied out there for a week about 15 years ago and it was a wonderful experience. k

~ Sarah Kay

sabershooter

The only time I like to run outdoors is when it's cold. When I reach for the Gatorade and it has ice chips in it, that's heaven! O' Winter, why have you forsaken me!? Please come back. My long runs really suck without you. Cry
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only time I like to run outdoors is when it's cold. When I reach for the Gatorade and it has ice chips in it, that's heaven! O' Winter, why have you forsaken me!? Please come back. My long runs really suck without you. Cry
                                Heh...this coming from someone in VA, LOL! What is "cold" by you guys? This year has been pretty *warm* in these parts, but it's still mostly in the 30s during my AM runs. On a more typical year it would probably be a good 10ยบ colder (and snowy, too). I can't complain...after a few days of running on snow and ice in early Dec. I ended up with pains in my left leg that only just recently let up after a solid 3 weeks of discomfort.

~ Sarah Kay