New here!! (Read 659 times)

Hello!! I'm new here. I just started the C25K plan. I'm on my first week, but I started on week 3 since I'm somewhat in shape due to my job. I've never been a distance runner. In high school I was a sprinter for 2 years, then I switched to rugby. I was faster than everyone on the field, but I didn't have the endurance to back it up no matter how much conditioning I did. A couple of questions: I'm worried about my knees and shin splints. I've had surgery on my knee because of a mensicus tear I got while working. I also got TERRIBLE shin splints when I ran track in high school. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid shin splints and to recover from a run faster?
    jeffdonahue

For the shin splints there are a few preventative things you can do. One is to make sure that you have the right shoes - go to a good running store and have them examine your stride to make sure you have the right support/cushioning that you need. Second, keep your strides shorter. As a sprinter your strides are longer because you are going for shorter periods. For endurance running, you want to land mid-foot. Landing on your heel not only causes a braking effect (and thus slowing you down) it causes the severe jarring of the lower leg which can cause shin splints and stress fractures. There is a saying "Nose over your toes" which means that your foot shouldnt go out past your nose and should land right under your body when running. Also, slow down and make sure that you dont try to do too much (either too much distance or going too fast) too soon.
        Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid shin splints and to recover from a run faster?
        Start at week one of the C25K. It's not just cardiovascular conditioning that improves when you run, it's also the toughness of your muscles and connective tissues. In fact that tends to take longer to happen than endurance. Along the same lines, to protect your knees you should be doing some strengthening exercises for the muscles surrounding your knees, primarily the quadriceps. Try doing leg extensions and/or squats and lunges on your non-running days. The biggest cause of shin splints in new runners is over striding. your stride rate should be somewhere around 180 steps per minute and you should be planting your feet about even with the front of your body, not out in front. This will keep you off your heels and allow your feet to absorb some of the shock of impact rather than your shins and knees. The best way to recover from a run is to take the following day off. Rest is every bit as important as running for a beginner. if you don't recover before your next run, you won't progress and will eventually end up injured. Tom

Lazy idiot

It's not just cardiovascular conditioning that improves when you run, it's also the toughness of your muscles and connective tissues. In fact that tends to take longer to happen than endurance. Along the same lines, to protect your knees you should be doing some strengthening exercises for the muscles surrounding your knees, primarily the quadriceps. Try doing leg extensions and/or squats and lunges.
          Very good advice. Muscles and connective tissue takes longer to adapt than does the cardiovascular/respiratory systems. The skeletal system takes even longer to adapt. play it smart and safe, and in relatively no time at all you'll be doing things you previously thought impossible.

Tick tock