Digital Camera for running (Read 931 times)

I like to take pictures when I'm out on runs, especially trail runs, but my camera phone leaves a lot to be desired. Since I've managed to break two digital cameras (one Canon, one Nikon) without putting them though the trauma of being shaken around in my pack for hours on end, I was hoping the group here would have some recommendations for one that is super small and durable, and that takes good pictures quickly without me having to fiddle around with settings. Anybody out there have a camera they'd like to recommend?
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Imminent Catastrophe

I do that too. For recommendations, there are lots of great small and light digicams out there. Get one that's waterproof--so you don't have to keep it in a ziplock bag like I do. And when you do, be sure and share your photos here.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mldrabenstott

Highly recommend Olympus TOUGH series: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1448 To test its durability, one of my friends took an earlier version of this camera and dragged it from a speedboat going 25 MPH. Still worked like it was right out of the box. It's waterproof and shockproof and relatively compact -- perfect for running Happy running (and shooting), Michael

Vim

Menace to Sobriety

You still might want to use a zip lock, expecially if you sweat much. Water-proof doesn't always mean salt-water proof. The salt content of sweat can wreak havoc on just about everything.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Highly recommend Olympus TOUGH series: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1448 To test its durability, one of my friends took an earlier version of this camera and dragged it from a speedboat going 25 MPH. Still worked like it was right out of the box. It's waterproof and shockproof and relatively compact -- perfect for running Happy running (and shooting), Michael
                I got an Olympus Stylus 770SW last year, and the thing is indestructible. It was in my bathing suit pocket when I was swimming in a river and it fell out. I was able to find it on the bottom of the river, and it was just fine. It's been dropped, tossed, soaked, shaken, covered in shampoo (packed with a bottle that exploded in luggage) and generally abused and still works great. In addition it has image stabilization, so those shots taken on the run will come out nice and clear! My favorite part, though, is that it's made of metal... it just feels like a better quality when you hold it. I can't say enough good about this camera. It's a year old, so there is probably a similar replacement model by now.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! I didn't even think to add waterproof to the criteria, so I'm glad I asked Smile At this point, I am leaning towards one of the Olympus Stylus ones, and that new TOUGH series that Michael recommended is very, very tempting...and a little more than I wanted to pay, but if it didn't break in < 2 years like all my others it would be well worth the extra dough. 2="" years="" like="" all="" my="" others="" it="" would="" be="" well="" worth="" the="" extra=""></ 2 years like all my others it would be well worth the extra dough.>
                    I'm pleased w. my waterproof pentax optio. was the w10, i think. maybe w20? i use if for fishing, too. now it looks like they've got models w/ moving lens, so even better.
                      I've been really happy with my Canon SD800 IS. It has about 6800 images, 4000 trail miles, and over 200 mountain summits on it now and it's still going strong...
                      pnklily84

I got an Olympus Stylus 770SW last year, and the thing is indestructible. It was in my bathing suit pocket when I was swimming in a river and it fell out. I was able to find it on the bottom of the river, and it was just fine. It's been dropped, tossed, soaked, shaken, covered in shampoo (packed with a bottle that exploded in luggage) and generally abused and still works great. In addition it has image stabilization, so those shots taken on the run will come out nice and clear! My favorite part, though, is that it's made of metal... it just feels like a better quality when you hold it. I can't say enough good about this camera. It's a year old, so there is probably a similar replacement model by now.
                        The new stylus is what our local Best Buy recommended my husband take with him to Iraq. They said it was the only one on the market that would withstand horrible temperature changes, sand, dust, heat, and being shaken around in his bags.
                        JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Go Pro Video! http://www.goprocamera.com/ Water proof, wearable etc. Priced well and you can set it for pictures or video.