The Malmo Manifesto (Read 1282 times)

Go Daddy

Malmo lead thread on another site. There are several pages but it is current. He does discuss building miles and doing what you can - not what you feel you have to. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2372073&page=0
      Running is a relentless set of questions that can only be answered temporarily, and incompletely. Vaguely. With our legs and hearts. Failing often. Paying with effort but occasionally gifted, at odd moments, with bodily and inarticulate epiphanies towards which the numbers mutely point--too certain to speak clearly.
      Dude. DUDE. DUDE! That is awesome.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The Greatest of All Time

I don't mean to get off on a rant... I have honestly never heard of this person, but his manifesto is strikingly similar to my own out of pure coincidence. When I started getting serious about distance running I read as many book as I could find on the subject, and there wasn't many. And sport's nutrition information...forget about it. Powerbars were in their infancy. But even before I started to take distance running seriously I dabbled in it: The first 'race' I did was in 1990 and it was the Oahu Perimeter Relay. Teams of 7 ran around the island of Oahu in legs of 3-5 miles. Each runner ran about 5 legs or about 17-20 miles. I was in the military then and knew nothing about long runs, speed work, etc. I just knew I had above average speed and above average endurance. For that race I took two salami sandwiches, a bag of skittles, and one 32oz bottle of gatorade. And I was smoking Marlboro lights between legs. I was young, dumb, and full of c*m as we military types always said. My team did well taking 3rd place in the open military division out of about 20 teams. I think I averaged about 6:00 per mile for all the miles I ran. By preparing for that race for a whole 4 weeks, the distance running seed was planted. I got out of the military in 1992 and didn't really start running again until 1996. I worked at a running specialty store for a couple of years and got to know lots of runners from collegiate runners to back of the packers. I started racing and training for a marathon and pretty much followed the outline set forth in Jeff Galloway's book. First marathon time was 3:09 in October 1996. I completely blew up at mile 20 as many have. From there I got into triathlon, did Ironman Florida in 1999 and then dropped out of all competition when I entered law school. This is my first year back running and racing seriously and I am amazed at how much advice there is out there and a lot of it is BAD. This sport of ours is not that complicated, but many seem to have an opinion or a plan that will work for you. The truth is, no one plan works for everyone. We all have different genetics, different goals, work and family requirements, etc. My point is, don't ruin something that is good for you and a lot of fun by trying to copy what is being pontificated by someone that doesn't know you and what you're in it for. Don't drown in minutia. All you need is a pair of shoes and desire. Buy a couple of books, learn the basics, and do what you feel is right for your body and your goals. Buy a book on the basics of nutrition. Learn it and live it. Crap in, crap out. Keep it simple. I have always been very hesitant about giving training advice and have been skeptical of following advice from 20 mile a week runners with 5K PRs of 20 minutes. Not that there's anything wrong with those stats, but professors should teach, not other students. And that comment was not aimed at anyone particular on this board because I don't read enough to know if it's going on here. Let's just say I have seen it in person and the internet is overall much worse. I have been fortunate enough to have known very talented runners and triathletes in my day but never felt I had to copy what they're doing. I am not an elite athlete. I have trained like and alongside elite athletes but could never race as fast as them. I am not genetically gifted. At 36 I am a top age grouper if anything. I am very serious but it's still a lot of fun. Just because you train like a Kenyan, doesn't make you a Kenyan. You will never be as fast as a Kenyan, and you will never run a 2:04 marathon. Accept it and get over it. But you can be as good as you can be and if that's not good enough then you need to look in the mirror and ask what you're in it for. Compete with yourself and impress yourself.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          George "Malmo" Malley and his training philosophy. Good stuff.
          Excellent. That is the best thing I've read about running since I don't know when. Plus, "some Jim Beam formula." Hilarious.

JakeKnight

This sport of ours is not that complicated, but many seem to have an opinion or a plan that will work for you. The truth is, no one plan works for everyone. We all have different genetics, different goals, work and family requirements, etc. My point is, don't ruin something that is good for you and a lot of fun by trying to copy what is being pontificated by someone that doesn't know you and what you're in it for. Don't drown in minutia. All you need is a pair of shoes and desire. Buy a couple of books, learn the basics, and do what you feel is right for your body and your goals.
            Also quote-worthy. Somebody should be collecting these. And sticking them at the top of every page, with the title "Read This First" attached.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

milkbaby

I have always been very hesitant about giving training advice and have been skeptical of following advice from 20 mile a week runners with 5K PRs of 20 minutes. Not that there's anything wrong with those stats, but professors should teach, not other students. And that comment was not aimed at anyone particular on this board because I don't read enough to know if it's going on here. Let's just say I have seen it in person and the internet is overall much worse.
              Just wanted to say that for the most part I agree with you except for the part I quoted above. Myself as a scientist, artist, and athlete (only professionally involved in the first, amateur dabblings in the other 2), I feel that there is always the possibility to learn something new or reinforce something I'd forgot about from other people doing the same activity, whether they are more or less experienced, or more or less accomplished than I am. I learned this years ago when showing some work and asking advice of another artist, and he mentioned he wanted to talk with and get ideas from another artist I considered his artistic inferior (not only in terms of years and experience, but in technique and artistic vision), so I asked him why? He said there is always something to learn from everybody, that there was even something he could learn from looking at my work, and he made it a point to talk with and see as many artists' work as possible. That really made a huge impression on me, and I think there is a lot of truth to what he told me. Sorry to get away from the malmo aspect... On topic: I see "running doubles as much as you can" as being flexible. At some points of a runner's career, "as much as you can" may mean no doubles yet. It just depends...
              "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                I always loved the simplicity of Malmo.
                PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

Feeling the growl again

The guy is abrasive and likes to be abrasive to get a rise out of people for no particular reason, but I do like his philosophies. Note the statement in my sig at the bottom of all of my posts....people like to blame talent for their lack of performance and write themselves off before they ever start. It's a circular path leading only to mediocrity and failure. I was once a beginning runner so I understand the difficulties of not understanding how to run by feel and intuition and reaching for some sort of plan or formula to bridge the gap. The real problem is, no matter how hard you look, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for experience. A pre-canned plan written by someone who doesn't know you will not fill that gap. Paces calculated off some chart will not fill that gap. Pretty much what it does is delay the development of the experience to do it yourself. I'm not saying there is no place for learning from others or coaching. Certainly not. Just that rather on a runner focusing on others telling them what to do, they should focus on learning why they need to do certain things and do them all by themselves. I spent the first 10 years of my running career listening to some coach for everything...workouts, paces, etc. I learned a lot but I always deferred to my coaches. Once I was on my own, I had no choice but to listen to myself. I applied all that knowledge in a way appropriate for ME, and it did not take long to see dramatic results. Twice more in the past 8 years I have reverted to coaches. One, a former Olympian, was pretty good but I ended up burned out because despite constant communication he was not there to see the signs and I had forgotten my lessons and was relying on him 100%. So it was shared failure. The next was probably more famous in coaching circles, and was a complete failure as he made no attempt to individualize anything. I was reminded to quit wasting money and do what worked, which was listening to my body and doing what it responded to (which I knew from experience). The PRs resumed. Read. Listen. Experiment. Try different things, and over time you'll figure out what works for you. It may not be in time for that marathon 6 months away, but within a couple years you'll be progressing faster than ever because you threw the universal playbook out the window and wrote one for yourself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The guy is abrasive and likes to be abrasive to get a rise out of people .
                    I noticed that as well. I avoid him as much as I can. Great ideas he has but I would be afraid to even compliment him on them.
                    PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?