New Member (Read 889 times)

Just wanted to say hello. I'm fairly new to running. Back in March, I topped out at 240 pounds (6' tall) with a 40 waist on my pants. I finally made a decision to get off my butt and do something about my weight. I started slowly with a stationary bike and stepper. A little over two months ago I added running (1-2 days per week) into my routine. Now I'm doing mostly running 4 days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat) and cross training and weights two days per week (Tues and Thur) with Sundays off for recovery. I'm now down to 205 and a 36 waist on my pants. I feel great!!! I also changed my diet - cut out the crap - soda, candy, bread, breakfast cake, chips . . . . I used to hate running. Now, I look forward to running, espically outside. I'm now averaging between 3.5 to 4.5 miles per run. This is for someone who couldn't run a lap around the track 4 months ago.
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      Welcome, and nice job with your training and weight loss Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Welcome. I can relate. 6 years ago I was turning 40, the 38 size pants were getting tight and I was topping the scale at 236 lbs... Shocked 6 short years and with approximatel 8,000 miles later, I am confortable at 178 lbs and wearing 34 pants. I was like you, I hated running. I wouldn't have run 5 miles if someone was chasing me. Tongue Now 5 miles is my shortest run of the week. Keep it up, it will pay off BIG time. Start a running log, train smart and you can achieve things you NEVER thought were possible. See you out on the road. Good Luck and great job.
          Welcome to RA and great going on your weight loss and running successes Smile !
          2009: BQ?
            Welcome!! Congrats on your huge successes toward better health!! Smile
              Nice job! It really does feel great to take back control of your life and health! Welcome to RA and if you are still planning to lose weight, check out the Jiggly Joggers group.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

madness baby

Congrats- You definietly have made some serious progress! I'm not sure if you're an addictive personality, but be careful. . . the running will get ya! Wink Enjoy it Big grin
                deb
                  Thank you all for the welcome. I look forward to reading, learning and participating here.
                    Awesome. There are more here like you than you'd think. Welcome.

Now that was a bath...

Welcome new friend! Pat on the back to ya. You've done brilliantly! Claire xxx
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                      Gaby

wake me up!

Thank you all for the welcome. I look forward to reading, learning and participating here.
                        Welcome New friend! I have been in RA since march last year when I started running. Since then I run my FIRST marathon! Can you believe that? Trust me I am just a girl, working mom ! and I did it! This place will help you tons with your training, your goals your moment of taking care of yourself! . If you see how much you have done it will keep you motivated to keep working! Keep it up! and we talk soon GABY
                          Took diabetes to get me running. Hopefully your running will keep that from being an issue for you. I too hated (or thought I did) running. I love it!!!! Gaby, I love your icon!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Looking gooooood ;p

Welcome! I'm pretty new here too...I've been running (again!) for a couple of years and I came here for the log facility and found a lot more besides... Keep it uo, mate Wink
                            The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
                              Took diabetes to get me running. Hopefully your running will keep that from being an issue for you. I too hated (or thought I did) running. I love it!!!!
                              Diabetes runs in my family - father, aunts, grand mother. Needed to try and short circuit the path. I've had high blood sugar for some time. Hopefully, running will keep it from being an issue for me.
                              Gaby

wake me up!

welcome! You will love it in here G