groin pull need help (Read 1313 times)

run4fun8910

Hi everyone. I am frustrated. I was about 3/4 the way through my thursdsay run when i felt a pull in my groin. right side. I stopped. stretched. walked. tried running. It was still there. Mild. But I cold tell running was making it worse. so I walked home. I still feel it today. I was going to take a week off of running and strech it a couple of times a day. I don't have time right now to go to a sports dr. Unless it doesn't heel on its own. What other activities can I do besides going to a gym that I can do to keep my cardio up? I think it is a mild pull. How long do you think it will take to heel so that I can run again? Cry Undecided No Sad Angry
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

SMART Approach

Give yourself a couple days. Ice 20 min. a few times per day. When it feels a bit better, try it on a run. BUT, before you go out there sit in a hot bath (preferrably) or heating pad to get it nice and warm and then run EZ. Ice when done. Watch the stretching, overstretching an injured muscle is not beneficial. If you don't have equipment at home or not willing to go to gym, your best bet would be jump roping (which is very hard if not experienced) - your calves will fry.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

run4fun8910

so buy easy run can I keep the 3 miles and run a slower pace or should I run the slower pace and also less miles. also I have a fitness center where we live that has 2 treadmills, bike, elliptical machine. I also have an elliptical machine in my apt. Could I use the bike or elliptical if the running aggravates it?

SMART Approach

Yes, bike and elliptical will be fine a week or two if necessary. You won't lose too much in a week. Again, if it feels better in a couple days give it a try. Sounds like a mild strain. First time back run a bit slower for 2-3 miles. If it starts to hurt get a feel if you can finish. I think you will be ok in a few day.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

run4fun8910

Well today we will find out how the bike feels. I hope it goes well. I ran from the car to the store yesterday and it felt tight and a little sore. But I am optimistic. So my wife thinks that the reason I got hurt is that I over did it after being off for a couple of weeks. almost 3 I think. After I healed from my pneumonia I went out for my first run and ran about 2.5 miles. The next 2 runs were 3 mile runs. None of the runs felt like I pushed it. Well except maybe the run where I pulled the groin. The run started with a down hill for about half a mile. I tried going slow. Maye I did not go slow enough. Also I did not stretch before my run. I know there is some debate on this website about the merits of stretching. I normally walk fast for 5 minutes then stretch. Carefully. Then I stretch alot when I am done. Was it the down hill or the not stretching that did me in?

SMART Approach

Don't need to do static stretching before a run. Brisk walk is great and mix in dynamic movements like walking and reaching for toes as you lift up leg ahead of you. Walking with bringing heel to butt. High knees. Even a couple lunges with a twist to same side of front leg. Walk sideways with foot cross over, walk backwards, skip etc. to just get the body going. This is a better warm up that more properly simulates the running event to come and gets the muscles loose a warmed a bit. I also have no problem starting with a very slow jog. Sounds like you push a bit. With 3 weeks off and doing nothing, probably will take 6-9 weeks to get back to where you were.

Do yourself a favour don't run until the pain is GONE !!! I ran with a groin injury for over 6 months Cry and I was thinking of quitting ! I started doing some core exercises and finally no more groin pain Wink
                run4fun8910

I am prone to over doing it. If it is a mild groin pull, how long do you think I should take off of running? Is a week enough. I was wanting to run my first 5k on april 19th. If I was running 3 miles in 30 minutes. When I come back what should I start with 2? If I take 2 weeks off will I be able to get back to running 3 miles by then so I can run the race? I Want to Run. I hate being injured. I did however do the exercise bike for 35 minutes. It was not very much fun but it did not seem to bother my groin to much. I felt it a little but it was not painful at all. I could just feel it was tight. So it appears the bike is okay. What about elliptical machine. Since the motion is much like running does it invoke the adductors? Should I avoid it and just do the bike? What are the exercises I can do to strengthen my groin muscles to avoid this in the future?

SMART Approach

Try the elliptical and see how it feels. Try not to run until you are pain free at rest. Then warm it up with heat before your run. Keep icing. Lye on floor on side and lean on elbow of same side of strain. Leg out straigt with toe out to side. Other foot is planted on floor. Strained side should have heel to toe be parallel with floor. Do some leg raises in this position. Do you have a lot of pain? Any pain? Test vs. other side. If equal strength then a very minor strain. if a big difference then a slightly moderate strain. If you can't lift you leg at all, then an injury with some muscle damage potential. Doesn't appear this is you.