Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) and EMS (Electronic Muscle Stimulation) (Read 54 times)

Was wondering if any of you have a TENS and/or EMS unit that you use at home?   What brand and model do you have and where did you purchase it.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

GC100k

Was wondering if any of you have a TENS and/or EMS unit that you use at home?   What brand and model do you have and where did you purchase it.

When I broke my leg in college in 1980, I got EMS treatments every day and I think it helped keep my muscles from atrophying.  Has the technology advanced in the past 30 years?  What does a home unit look like?  Do you have a specific injury or condition that you're treating?

Hip Redux

I have a TENS unit like this one:  link

I have also had stim from a doctor's office.   I found the at-home version was not nearly as effective - I think they can dial in whatever pulse needed for the issue with their better unit.   That said, it's cheap and if it helps, it certainly is worth a shot (it probably also depends on what the issue is!).

The issue is for a calf strain.  I am seeing a chiropractor who uses before he messages the area.  To me it loosens up the area and on the weekends it would be nice to uses it before my  runs.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

I have a combo TENS/EMS unit from LG Medical Supply.  For calf issues, for years the bane of my running life, I've found the EMS and Ultrasound to be very effective. Plus, it saves me quite a bit of money & time on PT. I've been told thatTENS mode is really nothing more than "electronic pain killer, and does very little for healing.

I'm sure the PT versions are more powerful but this does the trick most of the time.

For loosening, I think ultrasound is more effective than EMS.