More miles than degrees club (Read 4509 times)

JimR

It's worth it for the stares you get.  I did receive a thumbs up from a woman at a bus stop.  A month ago two woman were standing outside a store on Yonge Street, it was snowing like a banshee...one was filming me on her phone and the other gave me a 'woo hoo!'.

I probably won't get the same reactions today, it's too toasty outside (19F, blazing sunshine).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

JimR didn't say whether he wore his shorts over thermal leggings.  That's what I'd do, for stylin'!

Bare legs =

MTA: His post beat mine.  I guess it was his bare, sexy legs!

joescott

JimR's got it goin' on, man.  No female has EVER filmed me or woo hoo'd me running (unless we count woo hooing in a mocking sort of way).

Heat wave took me out of the club today, and likely to stay out for at least the next several days!! 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

keeponrunning

It's worth it for the stares you get.  I did receive a thumbs up from a woman at a bus stop.  A month ago two woman were standing outside a store on Yonge Street, it was snowing like a banshee...one was filming me on her phone and the other gave me a 'woo hoo!'.

I probably won't get the same reactions today, it's too toasty outside (19F, blazing sunshine).

A few years back one of my professors made the paper for running in the winter in his shorts.  I think it was a mild day though, just below freezing.

7 miles in 5F today.  Supposed to warm up a bit in the next few days so hopefully I'll be out of this club!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I would have rocked this club yesterday (okay, not shorts-rocked, but still) but I had jury duty.  I don't suppose it counts that I ran about 100 feet to the garage and my car thermometer bottomed out at -20 just a couple miles from my house?

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

but I had jury duty.

Did you hang 'em high?

- Joe

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Well, it's a grand jury so we just vote to indict.  And yes we did Smile

Leah, mother of dogs

joescott

Okay, everyone, check in.  :-)  I'm back in this morning with 10 miles in about 5 degrees.  Fortunately I live on the very southern edge of the snowstorm path so almost all the precipitation we got was rain and there was only a light dusting of whispy snow that came at the tail end before the temperatures fell through the floor, so I didn't have to worry about following a snowplow on my run this morning.  I suspect some of you were not so lucky, however.  LedLincoln, I bet you guys got creamed up there.  I heard that even up in St Joe, which can't be more than about 70 miles north of me, they got several inches.

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, maybe not creamed, but we got a real winter storm, and the snow is drifted to a foot or so on a lot of the trails.  I had to go to the treadmill this morning for the first time in about a year.

Check out the wind chill; it feels a bit colder warmer (misinterpreted it) than actual temp:

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Temps are still too high here for me to make the club, plus I've decided I just am being stupid running on my bad leg.  I'm cross country skiing instead, will that count???  I did ten miles today, with about ten inches of fresh snow overnight.  Fortunately I only had to break trail for 2.5 miles because I did my out and back trail twice.

Tomorrow morning is supposed to be around zero and I'm hoping to get in at least 6 miles on the skis.

Leah, mother of dogs

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Ended up with 7 miles, 3 degrees.  And a blister.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

More miles than the absolute value of degrees.  6.5 miles at -4F.

When I saw the 5 degree forecast last night for this morning, I thought, "Great! I can join the more miles than degrees club this year!". I woke up early to a full moon and bright stars. Ran 5.2 to break the mark. It was soooo beautiful this morning - full moon, stars galore. No wind and just enough snow to cover the ground. By the time I finished, my eyelashes and face mask were frozen. It was awesome!! Wanted so bad to take a selfie, but the juice on my phone ran out. By the time I got to the charger, my face had melted.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

joescott

For me 10 > 6 today.

Yes, Kathleen, it was breathtakingly beautiful in our little corner of the world this morning.  I had to run like a turtle to keep from falling on the snow/ice, but the beauty of the scenery made it all worth it, what with the moon just hanging there in a frosty black sky, its light falling across the thin layer of white snow veiling the grass, roads, houses and the iced-over little lake I ran around.  It was awesome.  A reward for those of us who hardened up to get out there in the cold today!

- Joe

spinach

we have another cool wave this week and I got in several more miles than degrees runs.  18 at 5°, 5 at 4°, 5 at 1°.  But this morning it was -5° and windy outside and I got tired of it and wanted more degrees than miles.  So I went to the school's fieldhouse this morning and ran 8 miles in there where the temperature was about 60°.  I am glad I got back in the more degrees than miles club