Strength to compliment running (Read 1850 times)

I want to get back into a good lifting routine but instead of it working against my running I would like it to work with or to compliment my running. Does anyone know of any good resources out there that I can read about strength training and running and what exercises are good to do?
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

The Greatest of All Time

Look up exercises on www.bodybuilding.com I lift twice a week but do nothing for legs, although I have in the past. These days I pick one exercise for chest, back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, and abs. Sometimes I use free weights, sometimes machines. It really depends on what's available in the gym when I am lifting. I usually do 3 sets of each exercise. Sometimes I lift light and go high reps (15) and sometimes I lift heavy and go short reps (6-8). You have to keep changing your routine to continue to see results. And if you continously mix it up you won't get bored. Just check out that website and be creative. But as an example here are two very basic routines: Routine A: (all dumb bells) Chest: Dumb bell press Back: Dumb bell rows Shoulders: Dumb bell press Triceps: Dumb bell kick backs Biceps: Simultaneous Dumb bell curls Routine B: Chest: Incline barbell press Back: Barbell rows or dead lifts Shoulders: Barbell press Triceps: EZ bar skull crushers Biceps: EZ bar curls Some of these exercises might not be familiar so look them up. If you choose machines they pretty much speak for themselves, but I feel free weights are superior because they work more muscle simply by you having to balance the weights. You can also stretch the muscles better with free weights. You will get nice results from machines too. And for abs, keep it simple. Swiss ball crunches are great.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I've been doing some strength training lately and notice a huge difference in my form. I started out doing it for the fat burn but now I see how it can benefit running. My knee used to hurt after every run (even with orthotics) but since adding squats and extensions to my routine I've noticed a huge difference, no more pain. Also, I used to use weights and was always "scared" to get too "big", lifting light weights with lots of reps. I upped the weight and decreased the reps and have noticed faster results now. I just leaf through magazines for ideas until I get down about 25 lbs...then I think I'll hire a personal trainer for a while.

SMART Approach

Turbo, I really feel doing total body exercise that hit core are key for you and runners. I work my whole body but the basics would be Walking Lunges One leg squats (or half squats or use ball behind back to start) Push ups or ball DB chest presses Plank (do on sides also) Ball crunches Choose exercises that force you to balance yourself and that may mean on ball, standing etc. Whenever you lay on a bench or machine, core is less active.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Oh Mighty Wing

My $0.02 Legs - quad, ham, calf, shin - I avoid machines so that my stabilization muscles are also being worked - I really like walking lunges and step-ups. Core - plank/side plank on basa ball, these crazy crunches, and expanding my exercises often. Tried some stuff on the ball today that did more hip flexor/stabalizer type stuff arm/upper body exercises I like - remember to always have a push for your pull. I like rows and presses, curls and kickbacks. I'm still working on this one though. This was an ok site that helped me get started building my program : http://www.fitnesssports.com/Strengthtraing.html

shonan marathon, girl

I am going to start weight training again next week after an absence of 1.5 years. I read something in one of my triathlon books that you need weight training more than you think especially after 40. I think it will give me more power and endurance for longer runs and uphill biking. I have a half IM at Sado in September so I figure I should start changing my training routine now and add weight training.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Thanks! I have been hitting the basics for my upper body and started doing stuff like my bicep curls and shouler presses while standing on a BOSU ball for extra core/stability/balance.
                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

SMART Approach

Just standing doing the bicep curls and shoulder presses is just fine. Not a fan of standing on BOSU doing these exercises. It really affects your ability to lift any amount of weight which is the purpose of the exercises you are doing. Standing is just fine doing these exercises and others. I would rather you do each exercise standing on one leg for enhanced balance work.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

The Greatest of All Time

Just standing doing the bicep curls and shoulder presses is just fine. Not a fan of standing on BOSU doing these exercises. It really affects your ability to lift any amount of weight which is the purpose of the exercises you are doing. Standing is just fine doing these exercises and others. I would rather you do each exercise standing on one leg for enhanced balance work.
                    I totally agree with Todd here. You cannot focus 100% on the muscles you're supposed to be hitting while standing on a BOSU. I usually do shoulder presses sitting down to further isolate the delts. And I love seated incline biceps curls. I do use BOSU's however, but just by doing alternating leg raises which works and core and enhances balance.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Scout7

I prefer to sit when doing curls. Much more stable, and I don't spill my beer as easily.
                        complement
                        obiebyke

Econo, I love you.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JakeKnight

I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to compliment your running, but I'll give it a try. Here goes: your running is awesome! Plus, I really like the shade of blue you picked for your MAF runs; its very pretty.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

SMART Approach

I totally agree with Todd here. You cannot focus 100% on the muscles you're supposed to be hitting while standing on a BOSU. I usually do shoulder presses sitting down to further isolate the delts. And I love seated incline biceps curls. I do use BOSU's however, but just by doing alternating leg raises which works and core and enhances balance.
                              Yeh, I am with you Marcus. I do like to stand as much as possible though from a balance/core standpoint and it does allow you to lift a bit more weight (as other muscles can assist) which can be good or bad if severely cheating. BUT, the benefits of sitting allow more isolation and specific work and a bit less stabilizer work which has advantages also. A combination is just fine. Yes, I love the dual seated incline DB curls. The stretch (myotatic stretch reflex) is awesome and you can't really cheat. I always like to do core exercise for strength i.e. standing DB, BB curl, then one that activates stretch reflex and finish with an exercise involving complete contraction and end of concentric movement i.e. concentration curl or lying (facing down-arms hanging) incline DB curls (awesome)! Try doing this with all body parts, it is a nice sequence and quite effective!!!

Yes