5 or 6 Days? (Read 840 times)

buck919

Hello... Long time lurker here who finally decided to register and post! Some background info. before my question... I'm currently in the beginning weeks of a 16-week training program for a June 15 marathon. My weekly mileage is currently in the 48 - 52 mile range and I've been logging 35+ mpw for the past few months. All of this mileage has been run on 5 days/week with rest/XT days on Friday and Sunday surrounding a long run on Saturdays. The program I've designed peaks 11 weeks from now at 69 miles (about a 4%/week increase in mileage) with a two week taper following that. My questions is this: Once I get into the high 50's in mpw, should I stick with 5 days per week or add a 6th day instead? The two options I'm considering would look something like this at 60 mpw: Option A (5 days per week) M: 10 miles (speed workout...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 10 miles (easy or recovery) W: 11 miles (stamina workout...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 11 miles (easy or recovery) F: rest/XT S: 18 miles (long run) S: rest/xt Option B (6 days per week) M: 9 miles (speed workout...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 8 miles (easy or recovery) W: 10 miles (stamina workout...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 9 miles (easy or recovery) F: rest/XT S: 18 miles (long run) S: 6 miles (recovery) Are there benefits to one Option over the other (considering that this is marathon training)? Any opinions as to which Option is better? Does it really make any difference? Should I consider spreading the miles over 7 days? Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to provide more information if you feel something is missing. Thanks!

SMART Approach

I honestly feel the more days you run the better. Option one has you running almost all same distances. I like variety. I like option 2 much better with variance (see my changes below). Certainly work up to this. Getting two big work outs in a week with quality is so very key for marathon training. You hit it hard twice per week and recover the other days in the week still getting your miles in. You will do better with the below program in all your weeks leading up to marathon. TRY THIS (6 days per week) M: 10-12 miles (speed workout with half marathon - 10K paced reps...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 6miles (easy or recovery) W: 12 miles (stamina workout with sustained slower tempo work...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 6 miles (easy or recovery) F: rest/XT S: 18 miles (long run with a faster finish (MP) only if feeling real good-last 10-20%) S: 6 miles (recovery)

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'd go with 6 days per week as well. I think that running high mileage like in the 50s will be tough on 5 days per week. Hell, I usually run 7 days to get into the high 50s, sometimes multiple times per day.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

kcam

Option B. More days with more spread in mileage is better.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As someone wants to run 7 days, but always seems to end up getting stuck with 4 or 5, I'd go with Plan B. If you have an unforseen, you can miss an extra day here or there and still keep your mileage up.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Here may be a novel approach. Try 6 days a week for a couple of weeks--see how it feels. Drop back to a 5 day week, etc. I don't want to be trite--but--each of us in a lot of ways is an experiment of one. I doubt I would ever have got into ultra running if i didn't experiment with walk/run--waay back in the early 80's--when walking was not what runners did. I think one of the reasons I have been out on the roads for over 30 years is I try different approaches. Some work for me--some don't. All the best Nick.

Feeling the growl again

If you can handle 60 mpw in 5 days, you can likely handle 6 days no problem. See how it goes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I honestly feel the more days you run the better. Option one has you running almost all same distances. I like variety. I like option 2 much better with variance (see my changes below). Certainly work up to this. Getting two big work outs in a week with quality is so very key for marathon training. You hit it hard twice per week and recover the other days in the week still getting your miles in. You will do better with the below program in all your weeks leading up to marathon. TRY THIS (6 days per week) M: 10-12 miles (speed workout with half marathon - 10K paced reps...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 6miles (easy or recovery) W: 12 miles (stamina workout with sustained slower tempo work...mileage includes warm/cool) T: 6 miles (easy or recovery) F: rest/XT S: 18 miles (long run with a faster finish (MP) only if feeling real good-last 10-20%) S: 6 miles (recovery)
                  what he said ... I like the mixture of easier recoveries in the 5-6 mile range with 3 workouts ... long run, med-long run, and speed workout. This reminds me of Pftizinger type plan which is what I follow. Peter