Running Groups (Read 266 times)

I've never really like running with other people for several reasons:

1. It's my time to be alone and think about things.  I enjoy having that time to relax.

2. I like adjusting my pace when I feel like it.  It might be selfish, but I don't want to be the reason someone else goes slow or fast, and I don't want to push myself to their pace to accommodate them.

I have been asked several times to go running with others, but always decline.  I see on here, and all over the internet about running clubs et al, and have not really understood the allure of it.  That being said, I LOVE races.  I love the camaraderie and sense of community when pushing through tough portions of a course and at the finish line.

Am I weird?  Well, yes, but are there many others out there that don't like running in groups also?

~Mike

No poll?  I think there is a lot of merit in running with others...accountability, camaraderie, and competitiveness.  That said, I find that solo runs fit my style much better.  Personally, that is my "me time" for the day.  From a practical standpoint, I'd never be able to run as much as I do if I had to invest time to drive to meetups for group runs or whatever.  Plus there aren't too many folks around here lined up for the regular 4:30am workouts.  To each their own.

Gotta agree about the racing:  Racing keeps it fun and is sometimes the motivation needed to stay consistent.  Keep on trucking, Running Mike!

Until four or so years ago, all I knew was running alone. I was invited to run with two other ladies (I knew one) who had just started running together. The first day, I was thinking "I guess it would be rude to use my iPod....it'll be strange talking and running", but I actually enjoyed it! Our group has changed the last few years due to work schedules, pregnancies, etc. Now it's mostly just me and my husband's cousin's wife. We do most runs together, and some races together. We've gotten really close.....that's a LOT of hours spent together, talking about pretty much everything. So, yeah. I enjoy running with others. Smile

obiebyke

Preach, Mike. It's like you stepped into my brain and posted, but from a different username. It's a little creepy.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hoban-Jay

I mostly agree with you.  Most of my running is on trails...beautiful rolling hills and fields and meadows and trees and critters galore and whatnot...and I want to be able to take it all in when I run..and I do!!!

However, there is the ODD time when I do run with another person..or in a group...mostly because I want to catch up (on life events etc.) with that person, and that's the way I it do rather than sitting on barstool or in front of a tv etc...

#artbydmcbride

I am in a couple of running clubs, and do the group runs and workouts a few nights a week.  We start out together, but then everyone just finds their own pace.  Sometimes I am running alone, and sometimes folks match my pace.  Once in a while we will talk, but mostly not.   At track workouts, it is a blast when we push each other a bit harder.  Long runs I usually do alone, so I get plenty of alone time in my own head and enjoying my surroundings.

Runners run

95% of my runs are solo, for a lot of the reasons you stated.

But I've never, ever regretted a run with a buddy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

When given the chance, I do the hard workouts with a group of guys: there's nothing like mutual suffering to get you through a -10F-sleet-10MPHwind 20mile run.  We were laughing the whole way.

Track workouts with the same gang is a pleasure: taking turns leading the pace -- trying to come within a second of the goal -- not over, not under.  Good times at 5:30am on a dark winter morning.

Recovery runs with a guy where we gripe about work and if anyone's huffing and puffing we slow down.

I ran alone for a while and thought like you did, until I found like-minded people.

But moderately paced runs, I prefer to do myself.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

During the week, I have to fit my runs in with "life", so I'm out by myself.

Every Saturday morning our little running group gets together for our long runs.....the first half of the run, we catch up on the week, family, travel, stories etc.  The 2nd half of the run gets a little more serious as we push to cover the distance.  Afterwards, we sometimes do coffee, breakfast etc.  Nice. 

Typically during races, I end up running by myself ...so during training cycles, I'll break off and do the longer runs by myself.  I can then run at my own pace, take water / gu breaks when needed, and basically listen to what's going on by myself like I'll do during the race.

Tim 

When given the chance, I do the hard workouts with a group of guys: there's nothing like mutual suffering to get you through a -10F-sleet-10MPHwind 20mile run.  We were laughing the whole way.

Track workouts with the same gang is a pleasure: taking turns leading the pace -- trying to come within a second of the goal -- not over, not under.  Good times at 5:30am on a dark winter morning.

Recovery runs with a guy where we gripe about work and if anyone's huffing and puffing we slow down.

I ran alone for a while and thought like you did, until I found like-minded people.

But moderately paced runs, I prefer to do myself.

What he said.  Don't knock it until you try it.  Finding the right group is important.  It is easiest if they are near your pace range.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Thank you all for the responses!

I have a couple guys in the area that I'll probably run with in the next few weeks.  One is an ironman guy, and the other is a coach for the Navy's Triathalon Team.  They're helping me with my Ultra goals, as they have run them in the past and are great guys regardless.

Thanks again!

~Mike

NHLA

Sometimes I want some company but I usually run alone. If I want to run with somebody all I have to do is run down the mountain twards town. Most runners never run higher than the first ridge and its relitively flat in town.

I run with a group from the YMCA. tues 4:30 am speedwork at the HS track and suday morning long run at Lake Summit. We have about 20 runners so there is always somebody your speed.

Just joined the four seasons running club. Monday meetups at the thirsty monk and running thru the Biltmore property. They have a seven race cross country series only $50. Black jack races. Everybody put $5 in the pot. One card at start, one in the middle, and a third at the finish if you want it.  Always take the third card unless you have 21 because 19 or 20 will not win.  Winner gets the pot.

LRB

Company is welcomed on runs approaching 2 hours or more, trouble is there usually never is any.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i like to run alone and almost always do, but have tried a couple of groups. the problem is i am not interested in the young singles scene. i wish there were groups for older folks who just want to run.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

GinnyinPA

I would love to run with other people, but the only time I do is at races.  There is a local running club, but most of their runs are very early in the a.m. and I don't do early.  A small group does speedwork sometimes in the afternoon, but they are all much much faster than I (i.e. 17-18 minutes for a 5k vs. 27 minutes) so the one time I went with them, I got hurt trying not to get left behind.  The trail runners do late morning runs on Sunday, but the local trails are technical (very rocky) and way beyond my ability.  So the best I can do is wave at the occasional person I see when I'm out doing my LR.  They are never going the same direction, for some reason.  I love the idea of going for a run with friends and stopping to get a coffee or beer afterwards.  When I used to hike with a group, that was usually the best part.