Footwear Options for a Pronator (Read 106 times)

lopnack

For the past 7 or 8 years, I have been running in either the Saucany Omni or the Asics Gel Kayano.  I like both of these shoes a lot, but I don't like the price tag. I have been doing some research into insoles to put in neutral shoes as well as cheaper alternatives because I know that both of the aforementioned shoes are at the pricier end of the scale.  But I need help. I just wanted to put this question to you to see if any of you Pronators had any suggestions.  I have used inserts before and liked them just fine, but I do not know how durable they are. Can they last me multiple pairs of shoes or should I replace them with each new pair? What are some of the less expensive options for Stability Shoes?  Any help would be appreciated.  (and yes, I know that going to my local running store will help as someone there will know, but I like to be well informed - I also plan on going this weekend)

runmichigan

I recommend the Mizuno Wave Inspire as a good stability shoe.  They are typically $115 per pair and I am able to get 500 to 600 miles out of them.

mikeymike

Everyone with functioning feet pronates. You should wear shoes that are comfortable for you and fit your feet.

Runners run

Joann Y

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Omni_13/descpage-SOM13M1.html

Discount code for an additional 10% off:  runblog10

That brings it to around 60 bucks...

MTA :  looks like limited sizes. Oh well, worth a try.

lopnack

Everyone with functioning feet pronates. You should wear shoes that are comfortable for you and fit your feet.

I guess I should say I overpronate. I tried neutral shoes, but had a knee injuries afterwards as a direct result.

Joann Y, thanks for the link. That was above and beyond the call of duty. I'll keep an eye on the site to see if my size ever goes on sale.

I used to wear the Mizuno Wave line religiously but the models in the last 1-2 years have a new bizarro hard plate (yes, that's the technical name) in the sole that makes my toes go numb if I run more than a mile in them. I know someone else who's had the same problem. If your shoe store lets you test drive them on a treadmill first, that might be good.

I recommend the Mizuno Wave Inspire as a good stability shoe.  They are typically $115 per pair and I am able to get 500 to 600 miles out of them.

(Realizing how crazy that sounds, I just Googled "Mizunos make my toes numb" and got a number of results, so... I guess it's a thing).

runmichigan

I used to wear the Mizuno Wave line religiously but the models in the last 1-2 years have a new bizarro hard plate (yes, that's the technical name) in the sole that makes my toes go numb if I run more than a mile in them. I know someone else who's had the same problem. If your shoe store lets you test drive them on a treadmill first, that might be good.

(Realizing how crazy that sounds, I just Googled "Mizunos make my toes numb" and got a number of results, so... I guess it's a thing).

I have not had issues with the various updates to the Wave Inspire (I started with the Wave Inspire 6).  I do agree though with the idea of a test drive on the treadmill in the store though to make sure the shoe is right for you.  Failing that, most specialty running stores will accept returned shoes within 14 days as long as they do not show excessive wear (don't take them on a muddy trail or modify them by cutting slits in the toe box ; ) ).

mogana

spam
                  JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I 'm also thinking of going neutral.  RW shoe guide does not seem to use pronation or flat feet for its recommendations.  It is based more on BMI, distance and injury experience.  This leads me to less show when I have always worn more shoe.  So I'm kind of confused.  I did try a Superfeet insole once, but the high arch was uncomfortable.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Asics GT1000---2000 series. I am not a fan of  Mizuno Wave Inspire. I do like how light it is but it does not have enough cushioning for me. I  probably will get less than 250 miles. Kelly warehouse has Asics 2000 for $63.50. http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com/

Famous Footwear has Asics Gel Kayano $99--BOGO HALF OFF.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

If you are an overpronator, then you have the most wide open category of shoes available since you and ~ 70% of the population are in that category (depending on the study) that have flexible arches (including me). Every major company makes a good option, but you must find one that works for the preferences you have in a shoe and how it shapes to your foot. I have never liked the way the Saucony Omni fits to my foot, but that does not mean it is a bad shoe. You could look to the following (but not limited to...all prices I have are MSRP):

Saucony Omni 14 ($130)

Brooks Adrenaline 16 ($120)

Mizuno Wave Inspire 12 ($115)

New Balance 860v6 ($120)

ASICS GT-2000 3 ($120)

Nike Structure Triax 19 ($120)

Adidas Sequence Boost 8 ($130)

I have worn all of these in various versions at some point except for the Saucony Omni and the New Balance 860. I went through a zillion pairs of the Adrenaline until they made a drastic change in the design from the GTS 13 to the GTS 14, but I have a pair of the 15s in the rotation now and like them. All of these are the aforementioned vendors' standard stability shoes that do not have the premium cushioning option (like the Kayano, Hurricane ISO, Odyssey, Paradox, etc.) and you can always find prior versions either at a brick-and-mortar store (which I recommend since you can see how they feel while you are wearing them and get your gait recorded if that is an available service at your local specialty store) or online.

A few others that are a little more off the beaten path:

Newton Kismet ($129...proceed with caution if you have never worn them...it takes a while to adjust to the lower heel-to-toe offset of 4.5 mm)

Newton Motion ($175...again, proceed with caution as these do not have much cushioning to them and encourage you to hit the lugs on the ball of the foot which will lead to sore calves while getting used to the natural running mechanics they encourage)

Hoka Constant ($160...going for the "maximal" idea in that it has a lower offset, but a ton of cushioning through its beefed up stack height).

I would generally encourage you to avoid supplementing with inserts as that is another variable that you need to take into account (how much do you dial back the amount of stability built into the shoe now that you have an insert that has a moderate amount of additional stability? If you go all they way to a neutral shoe or a structured neutral shoe, will the insert have enough to offset the lack of medial stability in the shoe? Will you need to go to a guidance shoe (Brooks Ravenna, Nike Lunarglide, Saucony Guide, etc.?)

Happy shopping!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ausen----+1 WTG!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

kilkee

runktrun

I, too, have been wearing the inspires for years (since year 1...!?) and the 10 & 11 were way different.  The 10 felt like it was canted medially (thus limiting the benefits of the stabilizing wave plate) and the 11 was weirdly firm and stiff, though shaped more like the 8 & 9.  The 12 is out now and looks and feels more like the 8 & 9, though I have not gotten to run in them.  I still get 500+ miles out of them.

But to echo others' suggestions - trying on some pairs in a running store and going with the most comfortable is your best bet - and the above list is a good starting place.  New Balance has also updated their entire line in the past few years, and I now rotate some of their neutral shoes with my inspires.  The Zante is a favorite because it just fits my foot so well.  The NB1500 is slightly posted.  Test driving them first is important.  Most running specialty shops are happy to let you do so.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

One of my favorite shoes that I have ever worn was the Mizuno Inspire 9. In the update to the Inspire 10, Mizuno switched up the midsole foam material they had been using for years (AP+) to a lighter U4ic (euphoric...get it? Mizuno, you clever devils, you) that they claim is more responsive. They also changed the wave plate material and the tread (RIP SmoothRide spacers on the forefoot, that was a really nice feature) in what seemed like a complete overhaul of the shoe. They also retooled the upper to get with the seamless overlay trend.

I got my 500 miles out of them and thought that they were okay, but not even close to what the Inspire 9s were. The Inspire 11 was the exact midsole and outsole as the 10, but they adjusted the upper to fit a lot more like previous iterations of the Inspire. They also changed the material of the Wave plate, but did not change the amplitude of the plate.

The newest one, the 12, has gone to what is referred to as U4icX for portions of the midsole (after trying it on, it felt a lot like the old AP+ leading me to believe that perhaps Mizuno is owning up to a mistake (the Inspire 10 was a complete dud...it started showing up on the shelves of T.J. Maxx; the Inspire 11 was better, but not making the gains in the stability shoe market share that it was during the days of the Inspire 8 and 9). Who knows...but in any event, it feels way better than the 10 and is an improvement on the 11.

If you actually read all of this, yes, I did work in the running specialty industry for a while. Smile