Help! (Read 679 times)

cmg93

I've never done a sport before, I'm nervous about starting cross-country, but I'm doing it because I want to get in shape and make new friends. I'm already trying to prepare myself by lifting weights, running, and biking, but I'm having a hard time pushing myself. I run maybe 2 blocks and lose motivation to keep running and then I'll walk for the next 5 blocks.

IDK what to do to get around this platau I'm on here. Any advice?

keeponrunning

Everytime you get tempted to stop, remind yourself why you're doing this, and try to picture coming last.  If that doesn't motivate you to train, not much will.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I run maybe 2 blocks and lose motivation to keep running and then I'll walk for the next 5 blocks.

Lose motivation, or maybe go out too fast and pay the price?  If the latter (which is pretty common), try going out too slow for the first few blocks.  You can always speed up a little if you feel great; it's much harder to adjust after you've gone out too fast.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another tidbit of advice that I wish someone had told me decades ago--often the first 1-3 miles are kinda craptacular.  For me it's generally the first 2.  Then it's like someone flips a switch and the run becomes enjoyable.  If you can work up to 3 miles I think you will find that it gets easier once your body is warmed-up.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Double IPA Please!

What is your pace like? Perhaps like an earlier poster said, your just going too fast.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

if you are just starting out with running, you may be best served by a "couch to 5k" type program.  They are a good way to build stamina slowly.  Basically they involve running and walking in intervals so you will not push yourself beyond your current endurance/stamina/fitness level. 

If you've been at this for a while and have trouble holding a certain pace for more than 2 blocks, you are running faster than your current endurance/stamina/fitness level can maintain.  Slow down, way down.  be able to sing or talk to a friend while you are running. 

nothing to see here.  

cmg93

Thank you guys for the advice. I will def. try to go a different pace and build myself up more miles. I'm competitive, so maybe trying to picture coming in last will work. I also plan on contacting the coach to figure out what I can do to get to my goal.

runnerclay

Try what I call  the one step method: Each day you run go one step farther than you did  the day before. Be careful not to go 3 blocks farther on a day you feel great because you we need to go past that point the next time.