Pepper Spray (Read 882 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Question for those who use it or know much about it, is there a particular source or form of canister you recommend? I have seen keychain models as well as ones with velcro straps that can be attached to the wrist or hand. I'm thinking pepper spray might be a good idea to have now that my runs are getting further from home and sometimes in somewhat desolate areas for a mile or two here and there. The ones with velcro seem like they would be easier to use, but I already have to carry my housekeys during my weekday AM runs, so maybe the keychain one might be more useful (though I try to stow my keys in a zippered pocket whenever possible, so the wrist option looks more useable, again). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

K This is the one I carry to repel dogs when I am running in the country (farmland) to repel over protective dogs. It's called "muzzle" appropriately but I would imagine it would be effective on humans as well. I bought it at a running store and it has a sturdy clip that you can clip to your waistband or camelbak and I doesn't effect my running at all. I have had one occation to use it and it works! Dave Dave
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      vicentefrijole

. I have had one occation to use it and it works!
        That sounds like a story! Spill it! Evil grin
          I was out on a long run in an untested country side roadand I spotted a german sheppard on a long farm lane barking furiously at me. I guess he had never seen a runner b4. He came charging down the lane in a beeline straight for me tail low and teeth bared. Don't get me wrong I do like dogs but it was either take a bite to the leg or worse or spray the dog. I yelled as loud as I could in an effort to scare the dog and hopefully the owner would call him off. He still kept coming at me obviously thinking I was a threat so I sprayed him at about 5 feet away. To my surprise I got his eyes and he started yelping. I was surprised at how far the spray will go (about 10 feet fairly accurately. I just continued running and the dog backed off but continued to bark at me until I was out of site.Needless to say I carried the spray in my hands the rest of the way home and I never go by that farmhouse any more. Dave
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            I use the one with the velcro strap, but thankfully have not had to use it yet. I got the one with velcro because I want it to be available immediately if I need it - don't want to be trying to pull it out of a pocket or something.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I got the one with velcro because I want it to be available immediately if I need it - don't want to be trying to pull it out of a pocket or something.
              I was kind of thinking that that feature might be the most useful in the event that I need to use it, as well. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think you need to rent a ferocious doberman pincer to go running with you. Surely there's a rent-a-dog somewhere around here... I'm guessing you're thinking of this more for protection against two legged "dogs" than the four legged variety...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you need to rent a ferocious doberman pincer to go running with you. Surely there's a rent-a-dog somewhere around here... I'm guessing you're thinking of this more for protection against two legged "dogs" than the four legged variety...
                  Either/both (I've had a few dogs make me nervous on runs). Our neighbor lady has the sweetest German Shepherd. He's over a year and full-grown, but is smaller than most female GSs (she said he was the runt of the litter). Sweet, gentle, quiet dog--doesn't at all fit the stereotype. Though I have a feeling he couldn't do 10+ miles without wanting a nap. He's a pretty lazy guy, LOL! Someday I definitely would like a dog, though. Always had dogs as a kid, but cats have been easier until we bought a house. Once our current kitties are all gone I would love to get a puppy and kitten to grow up together. k

~ Sarah Kay

Cntrygal

I can't comment on the pepper spray - but if you don't have a pocket available for your key... tie it into the lace of one of your shoes. Smile
                      I know this is an old post, but was just talking with my husband about pepper spray! I'm in the market since we won't be able to go together every time. I wonder if Muzzle is the same stuff as you'd buy for people and it's just a marketing technique, or is it really made differently for dogs? Maybe I'd want something milder, though. My luck, the wind would blow it back on me the day a dog/ person attacked! K, I used to carry my keys, then I went to tying them (double knotted) on my shoes like Cntrygal suggested. After that, I realized, why not just hide the key somewhere around the outside of the house and not carry it at all!? It was a little thing, but I never had to worry if I dropped it, if it slipped off my laces (happened before), etc.! Smile
                      Cntrygal

Sockoni - I was paranoid about losing my key from my laces too... so what I do is actually unlace the shoe one hole, thread the key onto the lace then lace it back thru the top holes and then tie (double knot too LOL).