C25K Done - What next? (Read 842 times)

Alright, back to the original question ... As previously mentioned, people usually move on to One Hour Runner (scroll down) or Hal Higdon's Spring Training. I say, look at the mileage per week you're running to choose the one that'll be the smoothest transition. Since you're running by distance, that's a nice smooth transition to Spring Training. I finished C25K running by time -- and I was nowhere near the distance -- so One Hour Runner was natural for me. Spring Training would have been a significant mileage increase, so I would have had a high chance of being injured. When I finished One Hour Runner, my weekly mileage was about the same as the beginning of Spring Training (with a couple of weeks of reduced mileage weeks as rest), so I moved right on to that. I'm halfway through Spring Training now. My mile time has gone down by nearly two minutes since I started running, almost six months ago -- but I'm still nowhere near running 3 miles in 30 minutes Smile -- and I've lost 15 pounds (but that's largely due to diet changes). I just do easy runs, no attempts to train for speed. I'd love to be faster, but I figure it'll come with time, and I don't want to get hurt. I'm still seeing improvement and I feel great. I hope you have as good of a time as I have!
      Great advice everyone. Hawthorne I think we might be in nearly the same boat. I did distance for a bit on the C25K in weeks 7 and 8 but then was feeling sore and tired by the end of week 8 and cut back to time. Running 4.5K was taking me more like 45 min so it was just too much too soon. Great to have an example like yours that compares the two since a lot of people I graduated the C25K with are moving to spring training and I was getting set to check out the differences. I think you helped my decision. I think that the One hour runner is going to be about right for me at this stage. I will also be spending some time strength training and cycling and walking to help lose those pounds. I can see that running with an extra 70 pounds on the frame is probably making my life a lot tougher.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run