Shouldn't I be running slower? (Read 1656 times)

run4fun8910

Okay so I am new to running. Many of you know that by now. I have a lot to learn. One thing that I have been reading about is how you are usually slower during the cold winter months (10-20 degrees F.) yet my pace is averaging 10:30 to 11 min mile. I tried running before in 2005 before I had to have some surgery and when I was running doing the same couch 2 5k plan i was averaging a 12 min mile and i was running in the 50/60 degree F range. Am I running to fast? At the end of my runs I still have energy and legs to go further and faster? Shawn
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn

Slow-smooth-fast

Its good that you feel good after your workout, dont knock it. What that generally means is that you have been working primarily in your aerobic zone (easy paced running). Seeing as though you are just getting back into it, you should do all your runs at this pace to build up a base upon which you will then be able to throw in more rigorous workouts. Time here is the key, keep doing what you are doing, work easy, and try to increase your mileage steadily. Then, and only then throw in tempos, hills etc, after a good foundation. Hope this helps.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I disagree that you run slower in the cold. I've run year round for the last six years and my pace is constant year round. It's likely that if your pace slows in the cold you are over dressing for the weather. Extra bulk and becoming overheated will definitely slow you down. Tom
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

I disagree that you run slower in the cold. I've run year round for the last six years and my pace is constant year round. It's likely that if your pace slows in the cold you are over dressing for the weather. Extra bulk and becoming overheated will definitely slow you down. Tom
          I don't run slower because of the cold temperatures, but because of the ice and snow I'm running over. Today the sidewalks and roads are relatively clear, and I definitely did better than two weeks ago, when there was so much new snow.

Dave

I'm sort of the opposite. I run slower in the heat. Since I pace mostly by HR, I have to slow down since my HR typically runs higher in hot or humid conditions. Could it also be that you're getting in better shape? Wink Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hawt and sexy

I need to slow down for heat. Who says you slow down for cold?

I'm touching your pants.

run4fun8910

It is good to get all the real life feedback. I can not remember where I saw the articles on cold weather running. I will try to find them again in the next couple of days. I will post links when I find them. Maybe I took it out of context and it was not the cold weather but the slippery snow and ice that slows people down. What is a good pace for a beginning runner? Am I at a good pace? Thanks, Shawn
                Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
                  According to the running gurus at Runner's World, anywhere from 36 to 52 degrees is ideal running weather at which you perform the best. (I think that was Jan 08 issue) I know for me personally, I tend to run faster anywhere from 36-60, but once it's about 50+ it all depends on the humidity. I love the cold because of the thinner air. This summer in Arkansas I ran a 7 miler in 1:12:00 (as opposed to my PR of 56:00) because of the humidity. When I passed the bank, it said 104 degrees. I hate heat.
                    I have run year around for nearly 32 years. Heat/hummidity makes a big difference in my heart rate and pace. Ask anyone who ran the '07 Chicago Marathon. Fortunately for me, the vast majority of my running has been South of the Mason Dixon Line--though I have run in my home area of upstate New York through snow/sleet,slush, black ice, etc, and found I slowed down. Kind of like race horses. Most run faster on a fast track on a cool day than on a sloppy track on a hot day. Nick
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

According to the running gurus at Runner's World, anywhere from 36 to 52 degrees is ideal running weather at which you perform the best. (I think that was Jan 08 issue)...I hate heat.
                      I'm right there with the 52°. I don't think there's a lower end. I mean, I know there is, but I haven't encountered it. (Ran in -45°F windchill in Michigan one time. I still prefer that to 100+) This running calculator actually has a calculation for equivalent times at different temperatures (as well as altitudes, course elevation changes, etc.). Anything below 60°F has no effect in their calculations.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Bugs

I run slower in the cold as do many of my fellow MN runners. One issue is the extra clothing, but I know it's not just that. My guess is that some people are more affected by the cold than others, just like heat.

Bugs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The one time the pure cold seemed to affect me was when I tried to run in -5 degree F temps. It felt hard to breathe! So now my cutoff temperature for running outside is zero, which I know is wimpy for some of you! Embarrassed
                            run4fun8910, In your case, I wouldn't compare times from over 2 yrs ago with your present times, regardless of temperatures. Just worry about maintaining a conversational effort. If you still have energy to run and your legs are fine at end of run, you're doing fine. My own times vary by trail conditions, esp. how deep the snow is. duh. Until I retired 2.5 yrs ago, I ran mostly in Alaska winter (summer field work), and I'm always amazed at how much easier summer miles are - and they count the same in the log.Wink jeffgoblue, "This running calculator actually has a calculation for equivalent times at different temperatures (as well as altitudes, course elevation changes, etc.). Anything below 60°F has no effect in their calculations." The fine print with that calculator says it comes from JD's Running Formula. The only table I can find in there is to estimate effect of HEAT on race duration (races over 2 hr), which would explain why it starts at 60F. (Table 10.1, p. 191 1st edn) He also suggests that's for people who "are not used to the conditions". Most running books that I've read adjust for heat, but apparently don't think that people run in colder temperatures. "Performing in Extreme Environments" by L. Armstrong has an excellent chapter on cold adaptations. It's a lot like heat in taking a couple weeks to adapt. Added weight of clothes will affect time as well as some friction from layers. Physiological effects relative to thermoneutral conditions include heavier breathing; higher O2 consumption for lower workloads, similar to thermoneutral for high workloads; VO2max is lower; increase in lactate production with increased workload is higher. There's a bunch of other things he goes into also including past history (where you grew up / genetics - not clear which), training, age, etc, that can affect how you respond to cold. One issue I've bumped into is underdressing, esp. on legs, and losing muscle heat if running for a couple hours in 0F or colder temps. Not only do cold muscles respond more slowly, they are more likely to get injured. I'm not talking about not being warmed up before going out the door (although it can be marginal some days), but losing the heat after being out there. There's a temperature gradient from your body to the air. I may be faster wearing warmer layers on legs to keep them agile. But depending upon how cold you're talking about, the snow / ice may affect times more than temperature. Regardless, enjoy your running time outdoors. Just go by time and effort and enjoy the winter wonderland.
                            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              Not to be a contrarian, but I definitely run slower in cold weather even with the proper layering of clothing and a comfortable body temperature. My legs just do not have the same kick they have in the summer. Not having a scientific clue (but being a year round asthmatic) I have often wondered if the oxygen content/conversion is the same with cold air as with warm air. I have also wondered about the impact of humidity on my oxygen intake. I sweat more in humid weather; however, I have more stamina. Go figure.
                              Chris
                                Cold dry air can be an asthma trigger. It may be that you are kicking up a minor asthma attack, nothing that you would notice, except a small reduction in performance. Some of the stuff I have read suggest the mask on to warm the air prior to it hitting your lungs. I know from experience that there is a temperature and humidity range where I can really rock, but other times, it is a struggle to keep moving. Yesterday, I went out at 40 degrees and relatively good humidity. Still coughed for a while after the run. I have learned that below 30 deg, at least for now, that I need to stay inside.