lower back strengthening (Read 140 times)

My back seems to be always on the verge of being "thrown out".  I've been doing a lot of ab work, trying to strengthen the lower back, and it seems to help, yet, for the last 2 weeks, I just feel it's gonna happen, but just don't know when.

Anyone have any tried true ideas?  I do not have anything wrong with my back, other than I throw it out easily. I mean, no disk problems, or anything like that.  ( that I know of ! )

I think I just need to start doing Yoga or something.

- Anya

stshipley7

My physical therapist pointed out some lower back problems that were causing hamstring problems. I had been doing 200 crunches a day, and that was part of the problem. I have switched to isometric exercises, and I'm having better luck with my back, and thus my hamstrings as well.

Do searches on Google/Bing for stomach plank and back plank exercises.

-STS

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

If you have access to a gym, I like using the machine where you hang from it with your feet in the brace horizontally and can do a sort of hanging reverse crunch.  I don't know exactly what it's called--I want to say a flye, but that's with dumbbells.  These are great for the lower back.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Hoodoo Guru

Back in Feb I started Physical Therapy for my lower back, for a problem I have been ignoring for 10 years.  The change it has made is remarkable.  I did two sessions a week with my therapist for 3 weeks, and now do a couple of exercises every morning.  I will be happy to fax or e-mail the workouts to you.  Just message me if you want them.

The tangents are moot.

Not dead. Yet.

I think MJ5 is talking about the roman chair. There's also the Stiff Leg Deadlift.

Roman Chair

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

I used to throw my back out every two years like clockwork, from missteps in ice hockey back in 2002 and 2004 to a  whiffle ball check swing in 2006 to a weird getting out of my office chair while simultaneously stepping over my briefcase in 2008. These episodes would result in a pulled spinal erector (self diagnosed)  which would prevent me from standing up straight for 3-4 days. So now I really focus on my core 1-2 times a week, basically front, side and back (using the roman chair or whatever that device above is called (or something similar)) planks for 90 seconds. That would be my recommendation.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I think MJ5 is talking about the roman chair. There's also the Stiff Leg Deadlift.

Roman Chair

Yes!!!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

BeeRunB

the cobra

works wonders

zonykel

Superman exercise should work for the lower back: http://youtu.be/cc6UVRS7PW4

This looks scary. My back hurts looking at it :-)

Roman Chair

- Anya

the cobra

works wonders

This link was blocked by my employer...  wonder what it is.  I googled cobra.  Is it a Yoga back stretch?

- Anya

Yoga would not be a bad idea.

I was in your situation for years. Chronically stiff/sore back, periodic crippling flareups.

I have now been doing yoga 2-3x/week for 7-8 years, and it has been much improved, no longer any major issues.

Depending where you go, you might find a class specifically called "healthy back yoga" or something like that. Otherwise probably choose a Hatha class.

It will incorporate many of the exercises already noted above, you will definitely get your fill of planks & cobras. A lot of work on core strengthening and general flexibility.

Many LRS's also offer a "yoga for runners" class, you might check around.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks!   I have some hip issues too. I really need to do something.  My ortho wants me to do PT for my hips, but  I just feel like my body is falling apart.  It would be nice if just running would condition your whole body.  LOL     I really need to seriously consider this...  I'm just so lazy and hate to do classes. That's why I run. 

BTW, I grew up in Northvile.

Yoga would not be a bad idea.

I was in your situation for years. Chronically stiff/sore back, periodic crippling flareups.

I have now been doing yoga 2-3x/week for 7-8 years, and it has been much improved, no longer any major issues.

Depending where you go, you might find a class specifically called "healthy back yoga" or something like that. Otherwise probably choose a Hatha class.

It will incorporate many of the exercises already noted above, you will definitely get your fill of planks & cobras. A lot of work on core strengthening and general flexibility.

Many LRS's also offer a "yoga for runners" class, you might check around.

Good luck!

- Anya

Thanks!   I have some hip issues too. I really need to do something.  My ortho wants me to do PT for my hips, but  I just feel like my body is falling apart.  It would be nice if just running would condition your whole body.  LOL     I really need to seriously consider this...  I'm just so lazy and hate to do classes. That's why I run. 

BTW, I grew up in Northvile.

Ha! I live in Novi, 1/2 mile from the Northville border, my kids go to Northville schools.

Don't feel bad, this is the age when our bodies start to fall apart. I was a slug until age 40 (I'm 48 now), I guess realization of my own mortality or some such thing made me decide to start to get in shape & eat healthier. And somehow I have managed to stick with it.

IMHO, nothing magic about yoga. (And I am totally not into the spiritual side of it.) If you can get a video to do at home, whether it's actually yoga or some other series of core strengthening & flexibility exercises, that would probably be fine. For some reason I find it works better for me to actually go to classes; even though it would seem more convenient, I have never done it at home. (Two words: yoga pants. You might not have the same motivation.) But the trick is sticking to it & doing it every day, or every other day. Funny how lazy most runners are about everything other than running.

Dave

I am going to try this. It seems easy to control. Talking about Yoga, check out this amazing Yoga Champion.

the cobra

works wonders

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)