Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

So, what to do?  Do I try to line up at the front,sprint at the start to get clear and hope for the best?  I really don't want to be a jerk or risk crashing into someone else in pursuit of a PR.  I also don't much relish the idea of busting a gut for the first 4K, only to have to stop for congestion at a turn or because a little kid innocently wanders into my path as I try to huff and puff along at 6:20 miles. And, I don't really need to drive across town to do a 3.1 mile fun run.  Do I bag it and instead go to my son's basketball game?

It looks like the race is limited to 200 participants. I wouldn't worry about the congestion. Line up in the first couple of rows at the start, but just go out at your 6:20 pace. Sub-20 will probably put you in the top 10 finishers overall, but with at least a few runners in front of you blazing the trail through the masses.

--

Nashville, TN

xhristopher

So my 5K is coming up on Saturday

Is it this one? If so, an out and back on the WO&D trail could be a potential cluster...

I used to live about a mile from there and used to ride and bike commute on that trail A LOT. If it's heading west from Bluemont Park there is a parallel path near Madison Manor Park that would be very appropriate for a turn around loop. That would help a whole lot. I see it's limited to 200 entrants. That will help too. 

I would call it flat and fast enough for a sub 20 attempt. Put yourself further up front than normal but go out at an appropriate pace and see what happens. If it's a mess at the turn around just think "what would L Train do?" and then start screaming obscenities at people until they get out of your way.

xhristopher

It looks like the race is limited to 200 participants. I wouldn't worry about the congestion. Line up in the first couple of rows at the start, but just go out at your 6:20 pace. Sub-20 will probably put you in the top 10 finishers overall, but with at least a few runners in front of you blazing the trail through the masses.

Yeah, what he said. I'd only worry about the turn around.

L Train

If it's a mess at the turn around just think "what would L Train do?"

This really is just a good way to approach most of life. 

Don't forget the old white socks as mittens and arm warmers to wear with your singlet. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'll put my name in the hat for sub-20:00 in 2012.   Current PR is 21:56 so I have a ways to go.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

So my 5K is coming up on Saturday, and I decided to go back to the event Web site to look into it a little more.  When I signed up, it was pretty much at random --- the only 5K I could find on the weekend I wanted in the DC area. 

Now I see that the race is run on a bike path.  Given that it is a low key fundraiser for a school, I kind of expect lots of kids, strollers, maybe even dogs (kind of like my son's school's 5K, except that one is on the roads).  It's an out and back, so getting clear at the start is probably only half the battle --- on the way back, I may need to maneuver around walkers/strollers/dogs who are talking up the whole path.

So, what to do?  Do I try to line up at the front,sprint at the start to get clear and hope for the best?  I really don't want to be a jerk or risk crashing into someone else in pursuit of a PR.  I also don't much relish the idea of busting a gut for the first 4K, only to have to stop for congestion at a turn or because a little kid innocently wanders into my path as I try to huff and puff along at 6:20 miles. And, I don't really need to drive across town to do a 3.1 mile fun run.  Do I bag it and instead go to my son's basketball game?

If you are a sub 20 runner you should be lining up near the front of all races. Not many runners are going to break 20. As someone else pointed out you probably will be among the top 10% unless there are a lot of high school athletes there. Do not go out strong. Just go out nice and easy (fast yes but easy). You may have heard the saying "You cannot win a 5k race in the 1st kilometer but you can lose it". Let the few fools go out too fast in the 1st 90 seconds then catch them in the next 90 seconds. You don't even have to speed up to catch them they will die out and come back to you.

About the congestion on the trip back... well I don't know how to handle that. You may have to run on the grass which will cost you time. I think you will be so far up in the pack though that adrenaline will pump you up for the last half.

I guess I would not be trying for a sub 20 but just running my best effort. You never know if the course may be short or if congestion may slow you or if you have to run in the grass. Just go for place and not time. If you get sub 20 you get sub 20. If you get 21:30 the course probably was not what you were thinking it was.

Thanks for the feedback guys, especially the local knowledge from Xhristopher.  You're right -- that's the race.

I don't race much, and I always tend to have second thoughts before starting.  I guess I'll do it, and if there are issues, I found another 5K the next weekend that I could do.

I'll post results and a report of any screaming that I end up doing.

MF, Do you warm up at all before attempting these Time trials, not sure if that 1.7 was before or after the workout.  It takes a couple of miles for me to run smooth and hitting the paces I want to.  For example my typical easy run mile splits if not  paying attention to pace would be like 10:20, 9:30, 9:00, 8:30, 9:00.  If I am trying to run faster, they would be like 9:30, 9:00, 8:30, 8:20, 8:30, you get the picture.  

Also why not attempt these time trials outside on a course mapped out here on RA, and measure your progress for the same distance.  Letting the Treadmill dictate pace may be holding you back ( the same pace feels much easier outside for me, atleast with the nice cool weather like now) or you could hang on for dear life and squeak through, not sure if we can do that in a real race. You may have a valid reason for running on the Treadmill only, but I am too lazy to go back and look for it

I actually only ran 0.3 miles warmup and that was probably around 9:00 pace Roll eyes

If I was serious about going all out I would run 1.5 miles warmup.

I only wanted to break 22 minutes and with 5 plus weeks of base miles I had a feeling it would not be that difficult.

I find that outside I am slower if I have not practiced outside in awhile.

About 15 seconds slower typically on my local loop which does contain a large hill.

It is hard for me to run outside it gets dark so early in winter.

I would like to run a race on March 25 by then I hope to be around 21:00 shape.

If you are a sub 20 runner you should be lining up near the front of all races. Not many runners are going to break 20.

This is obviously not a universal truth. Always makes sense to check the results from prior years (if they exist) and get a sense of race. Some races are more competitive than others - though usually you'll know that going in, or can "see" it in whose lining up near the front.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

If you are a sub 20 runner you should be lining up near the front of all races. Not many runners are going to break 20. As someone else pointed out you probably will be among the top 10% unless there are a lot of high school athletes there.

Sure, if you're planning to go three minutes under 20. 

I've only run under 20 minutes twice, but in those races I was 29th and 70th place. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

I was thinking that I needed to go to Michigan to run. 

Why is it sideways?

If you are a sub 20 runner you should be lining up near the front of all races. Not many runners are going to break 20. As someone else pointed out you probably will be among the top 10% unless there are a lot of high school athletes there. Do not go out strong. Just go out nice and easy (fast yes but easy). You may have heard the saying "You cannot win a 5k race in the 1st kilometer but you can lose it". Let the few fools go out too fast in the 1st 90 seconds then catch them in the next 90 seconds. You don't even have to speed up to catch them they will die out and come back to you.

About the congestion on the trip back... well I don't know how to handle that. You may have to run on the grass which will cost you time. I think you will be so far up in the pack though that adrenaline will pump you up for the last half.

I guess I would not be trying for a sub 20 but just running my best effort. You never know if the course may be short or if congestion may slow you or if you have to run in the grass. Just go for place and not time. If you get sub 20 you get sub 20. If you get 21:30 the course probably was not what you were thinking it was.

We make fun of the Flyer, but THIS is solid gold. 

Less important than where you line up at a race is how you line up. Most people don't even line up at all. They go to the starting line and wait for the race to start, like it's a deli or something.

Line the **** up, if you're gonna race.

Props to the Flyer for lining up. Looks like the kid's even training some.

On the subject of where you'll come at about 20 min pace - results for my local weekly 5k:

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cambridge/results/latestresults

That's this week - you can click through to see other weeks. Normally 20 mins will put you between 20th and 30th place.

Yeah, this is what's tough --- results are all over the place depending on the race. 

In my last but one 5K (back in '09), I finished in 19:34, good for 9th overall and 1st in my AG by over a minute IIRC.  In my last 5K (Nov. 2011, a much smaller race) that same time would have gotten me 5th in my AG.

If this race is like my '09 one --- where lots of people are run/walking and no one is really there to race, then doing it on a bike path will be really frustrating and lead to a slow time. If, on the other hand, a bunch of  faster runners show up, I'll just drift along behind them and have nothing to worry about. 

I guess that uncertainty is part of the fun.

We make fun of the Flyer, but THIS is solid gold. 

Less important than where you line up at a race is how you line up. Most people don't even line up at all. They go to the starting line and wait for the race to start, like it's a deli or something.

Line the **** up, if you're gonna race.

Props to the Flyer for lining up. Looks like the kid's even training some.

Are you referring to a mental or physical posture? Or both/neither?