Bolt blew it (Read 2037 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This has all sorts of problems, but my explaining muscle is still fatigued.

Probably because you jumped the start.

You know, you'd have a calmer experience if there was some sort of predictable countdown until when everyone starts typing explanations, so you don't have to sit there all nervous ans poised to start typing at an unknown time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would blow all of you off the blocks.

Edit: except, apparently, Led.  Crap.  In a bucket, and call it a sandwich.

I'll give you then win, when averaged over all posts.

DgR, a bit nervy of you to get this thread back on track, but hey.

Sorry I'm at work and started writing that back about 6 hours ago, before the thread ....... diverged.  It has been a slightly busy day.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

xor

"hey baby, my explaining muscle is fatigued.  I'm not from Havana..."

Why is it sideways?

"hey baby, my explaining muscle is fatigued.  I'm not from Havana..."

Ha. All things have their limits, even my ginormous "intellect."

I found this whole conversation fascinating.  Never ran track, never did cross country, I am about as hobbyjogger as you get.  Up until this thread I never gave a though to the logistics of timing something where the results of are determined by less than 0.1 seconds.  The concept of pressure sensors and 100ms delays (min reaction time) after the pistol are completely novel to me.

The whole idea of reaction time being a part of the competitive event seems like a random addition to the competition.  I get why it is included, it is just not really related to one's ability to actually run fast.  The race is in effect saying lets see how fast you can run 100m plus how long it takes you to react to a loud sound.  Superficially (and to my admittedly completely uneducated perception) it is an odd pairing for a competitive event.  Why not compete on running 100 meters and then throwing a discus or running 100 meters and doing some long division.

Consider the long jump. You'd think the guy who can jump the farthest could win the title of ... Longest-Jumping Man Alive.  But no -- the event has a take-off board and a foul line.  Touch/cross that foul line and your jump isn't even measured.  What does trying to calibrate one's steps down to the centimeter -- when starting your approach from another frickin' area code -- have to do with covering the greatest distance from take-off to landing?

Anyway, I think the whole debate is neat because it is debating the nuances of an aspect I didn't even know existed before yesterday.  I never thought about it, but I assumed the person who won the 100 meter was the person who could run 100 meters the fastest and that isn't always the case apparently.

But it is, I say.  And without argument.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ha. All things have their limits, even my ginormous "intellect."

Brain the size of a planet, and they keep making me explain things.

Why is it sideways?

Brain the size of a planet, and they keep making me explain things.

Srsly.

You'll ruin your knees!

I apologize for my total lack of clarity on this thread.

What about all the other threads?

And, I could give a rat's rear, but I kind of like the chip timed solution... an individual's race "starts" when they hit the "start pressure threshold" and ends when they cross the finish line timing mat.  I was motivated to take this position when I read Clive's post about nervous energy uncoiling at the start... leave the start the same, but the gun is actually a formality.  Or not...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Why is it sideways?

What about all the other threads?

I blame Trent for those.

xor

Srsly.

Keep me out of it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And, I could give a rat's rear, but I kind of like the chip timed solution... an individual's race "starts" when they hit the "start pressure threshold" and ends when they cross the finish line timing mat.  I was motivated to take this position when I read Clive's post about nervous energy uncoiling at the start... leave the start the same, but the gun is actually a formality.  Or not...

So a runner could start two seconds before his neighbor, or five seconds after?  Put limits on these parameters, and you'll be having false starts to deal with.

"run" "2" "eat"

i'm back, and surprisingly, mr lincoln, you did make me proud. just your pointy-uppy avatar is a proud moment for all mankind.

speaking of mankind, spent the first 5 mins of my goal setting session discussing my male boss's journey through menopause, which set a sort of odd tone for the entire session.

but, i've got goals, baby!!

WHAT NOW BISHES?!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

i'm back, and surprisingly, mr lincoln, you did make me proud. just your pointy-uppy avatar is a proud moment for all mankind.

I aim to please.

So a runner could start two seconds before his neighbor, or five seconds after?  Put limits on these parameters, and you'll be having false starts to deal with.

Why limit it really?  Better yet, just let them run it wherever they are and mail in their times and award the world championship based on that.

Problem solved.

Next question.

Runners run