Yet again I find myself in the market for a new Garmin (Read 347 times)

runlikeagirI

Mine ran the gamut from powering itself off, to freezing, to not getting satellites, to stopping in the middle of a run, etc.

Have you updated your software regularly? Have you tried calling their tech support? They are very helpful and in the USA.

At one point, I had an intermittent problem that they could not fix. I just lied to them and told them it powered itself off all the time (previous issue). They can't really argue with that and they sent a replacement. If you do get a replacement, ask for a new one, not a refurbished one.

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I've talked/emailed with their tech support on the occasions I didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it and they were great - no complaints there at all! I bought my 610 from REI and still have the receipt, so if I get to the point where I feel fed up with this unit I'll just go exchange it for another.  I'll have to check on the software updates.  I know updated the software shortly after buying it in November and maybe once or twice since then?

With the Garmin 210, what does "water resistant" mean in practice? Can I wear it outside in the rain for hours and not worry about killing it?

mikeymike

With the Garmin 210, what does "water resistant" mean in practice? Can I wear it outside in the rain for hours and not worry about killing it?

Yup. I've run in the rain and wear it in the shower, no problems. I also rinse it off in the sink when it gets gross.

It just means don't swim with it or submerge it for extended periods of time.

Not a huge deal for me but it is about my only complaint about the watch 210, I wish it was truly waterproof so I wouldn't have to remember to take it off at the beach or whatever. The FR10 is a cheaper watch and it is truly waterproof so I don't really understand why the 210 isn't.

Runners run

My 610 works great.  The 410 I had previously was very reliable,as long I didn't have to adjust the bezel in the rain or with gloves.  The 610 has the vibration alert, the touch screen that works even with gloves, and better screen selections.  I know its pricey, but I don't regret one bit making the purchase.

tinman11

I've gone from anti-GPS to being the official RA pitch man for the Garmin Forerunner 210. I've practically written odes to that watch. So that's what I'd get.

I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 210.  Here's what I would like to display but I don't think I can with this device.

Current pace, average pace, distance.

Do you know if this can be accomplished?

I just sold my 310 and put the money towards the 910.  I love it.  I love the smaller size, the display, the vibrate function, the wireless syncing, the more comfortable wrist strap, and the new HRM.  It's a bit pricey, but I think it was worth it.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

mikeymike

I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 210.  Here's what I would like to display but I don't think I can with this device.

Current pace, average pace, distance.

Do you know if this can be accomplished?

No, you can only display one kind of pace: either average pace, lap pace or current pace.

And there are only two data screens: distance, time and pace or lap distance, lap time and pace.

Runners run

tinman11

No, you can only display one kind of pace: either average pace, lap pace or current pace.

And there are only two data screens: distance, time and pace or lap distance, lap time and pace.

Thanks for the info.  It looks like a great GPS though.

I like the size for sure, compared to the old 305.

kcam

Never thought I'd see this day .... mikeymike spec'ing out the GPS! Been  holding out all this time, like a kid with his mouth shut while his mom tries to spoon-feed him some carrots!  Those carrots are good for you, man.

mikeymike

Never thought I'd see this day .... mikeymike spec'ing out the GPS! Been  holding out all this time, like a kid with his mouth shut while his mom tries to spoon-feed him some carrots!  Those carrots are good for you, man.

Hah. Yeah, kinda. Except I first got a 205 in 2007.

Runners run

kcam

If you need/want advanced features there's another price drop on the 310XT:  $192.50 at heartratemonitorsusa.com (no HRM).

My 205 just died about 2 weeks ago and I replaced it with the 110.  I don't need lots of bells and whistles....just time, distance, and pace.  So far, so good.