Race Report of the Frank Maier Marathon/Half Marathon (Read 562 times)

Dog-Love

I ran the half marathon to support my friend who is running the full and it was a cold, rainy, windy day here in Juneau AK. Locals would normally sleep in and not worry about their 15 dollar entry, but I told Tyler I would be here to cheer him on. I have not been running much the last couple of months (but thought I could run a slow 8-9 miler and see how the rest felt. I felt great for 8 miles (about a 9 minute pace) and then it went down hill like I knew it would (its not really a hilly course) without the training you really ought to have. I am 47 and know better, but ended up walking/running (not in the Galloway style) the rest of the race and finished in 2:18. Tyler (stud youngster) finished the complete marathon in 3:23. As a plug for this local AK marathon...it draws less than 200 people, is typically great weather (~59 degrees) and has a great post race barbeque with salmon if you want it. Also the organizers are awesome! I am running the 10th leg of a Yukon Road relay in the middle of next September and am thinking I should keep up my hill work and speed work and perhaps get 3 10 milers in between now and then. This taught me that I really need to add those miles!!! Will try to do better next month
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Crabby! That would be "crabby" as in the animal, right? Shocked Congrats on finishing your half! Wow... 59 degrees sounds like paradise right now! Good luck in preparing for September! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

The weather sounds pretty good compared to the 100+ temps we've been having in Nevada. And, I love the scenery/terrain in Juneau. Hope to make it back some day. Way to hang in there, and good luck with your September relay.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Dog-Love

Thanks for the input. I usually read alot of the postings butam not an active participant. You are right about the weather and I am sure I did better in the rain and wind than I would have in the 90+ degrees in most parts of the country right now. If you have a chance to put a 10 person team together for the Klondike Road Relay it really is a great time. Some impressive times but mostly just a tough through the night race through pretty scenery (if you run during daylight hours. Last year I ran midnight to 1:30 am and saw Northern lights and not much else On another note, I think the HM is a great distance and I a going to try to work towards a sub 2 hour time by next year.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aside from the crummy weather this year that does sound like a very nice race. And now you know what you need to do for next year, so hopefully the weather and training will come together better for you, then. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay