Running Times for Beginners (Read 333 times)

Why is it sideways?

So, Jeff, where can I find the World Record holder for Female age 65-69?  Confused

Clicky clicky.

(BTW, the WAVA calculator also gives the "age standard" that it uses to calculate the percentage.)

npaden

Some of those guys just keep setting records everytime they get another 5 years older!

Ed Whitlock from Canada has the current records for 3K (75+ and 80+), 5K (75+ and 80+), 10K (70+, 75+ and 80+) and marathon (70+, 75+ and 80+).  The only reason it looks like he doesn't have the mile record at 75+ and 80+ is because he ran a 1,500m instead of the mile at 80+.

At 80+ he could still smoke me at all of those distances!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Walk-Jogger

Some of those guys just keep setting records everytime they get another 5 years older!

Ed Whitlock from Canada has the current records for 3K (75+ and 80+), 5K (75+ and 80+), 10K (70+, 75+ and 80+) and marathon (70+, 75+ and 80+).  The only reason it looks like he doesn't have the mile record at 75+ and 80+ is because he ran a 1,500m instead of the mile at 80+.

At 80+ he could still smoke me at all of those distances!

I suppose I should be thrilled to know that on a good day I won't be beat by anyone in the world over the age of 75, in a 5K race... Clown

Retired &  Loving It

No more marathons

1st - since I ran in HS and at a small college, I use it to get my equivalent time from those early days. It gives me an idea how my fitness compares.  I figure if my age equivalent is close to what I use to be able to run, my training is going well. (I'm not there yet)

This ^.

I ran for about 5 years in the 80's.  While I can't come close to those times now, I can look at the age graded %s and use that as a goal target for any and all race distances.  Let's me know how far I still need to go.  One thing I find interesting is that my recent marathon, which got me a BQ by 7 1/2 minutes, would have missed the required time in the 80's by over 13 minutes.  The qualifying times have gotten much easier (thank goodness).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

It's not a percentile in terms of the numbers of people able to achieve a performance. Obviously, fewer than 11% of runners are running sub15 5ks at 40 years old. The percentage simply takes your time in seconds as a percentage of an age-calibrated world record. It's only humbling or demoralizing if you misunderstand the meaning of the percentage.

I appreciate that explanation, I was indeed misunderstanding those percentile meanings.  Thanks :-)   Makes easy sense now, such as a 22:00 5K time would be in approx the 55% range of a world record time, which would be 12:something for a 5K.  I learn something every day on these RA forums. Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞