Mac people i need your help! (Read 832 times)

Prophet!

I am going to attempt a full conversion from PC to the Imac, I was ready to buy one of those 20 inch sleek-lookin silver machines then i hear rumblings that a new OS is coming in October...should I wait ? Will it be easy (and cheap) to upgrade to the new OS if i buy now ? Or will they be pricier in October compared to now ?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I think I'd wait. Usually OS upgrades are a few hundred bucks. But the computer won't likely cost more then than the current one does now. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I would wait. As soon as the new OS 10.5 (Leopard) comes out Apple will announce free OS upgrades with any Mac purchase, or at least they always have in the past. Or the one you buy might have the new OS already installed. Either way, those new iMacs are really sweet!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A Mac OSX upgrade is fairly cheap and is usually pain-free, or so history has shown. As others have pointed out, Apple does tend to offer free upgrades, but only on machines bought after the OS release that still have the prior OS. So don't buy one today expecting the free upgrade. It appears that most of the changes to OSX that will come out with 10.5 are nifty widgets and are not anything ground-breaking. Windows recent upgrade was much the same way (although much more expensive in terms of dollars and memory requirements, and was touted as a BIG change). That said, I am planning on waiting until October before I get the iMac. I may even wait another month or two to let some of the inevitable bugs get ironed out.
          Jacob Fern

I think it's always a good idea to give a new product a few months to get everything worked out before you buy it. They have had problems in the past with new products when the first came out (they're still trying to figure out the MacBook Pro battery problems), and it's always good to know what your getting yourself into. Usually its fine, but... The new OS is also worth waiting for, in my opinion. Like Trent said, it's not that big of a change, but it's still introducing some pretty cool stuff. I'm looking forward to upgrading just for it's backup software that will be included. Other than that, however, it seems to be just about the same as 10.4. If you do choose to get one now, it is really easy to upgrade, and if you're still in school you can get the educational discount for the new OS (which only makes it $79 ... last time I checked). I don't think that the prices of the computers will go up with the new release. The only factor is how long you're willing to wait to get your new computer.

Imminent Catastrophe

... (they're still trying to figure out the MacBook Pro battery problems) ...
              They sent me a new battery a couple months after I got the MacBook Pro. No problems.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mine works great too.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thread creep alert: I'm starting to hear rumors of a new generation iPod, similar to the iPhone, coming out soon. Drool.

Jeffrey

Go ahead and buy it. In my experience, Apple's first generation new products have always been stable for me. I wouldn't worry about the software issue. Think about how good that gleaming iMac will look with your iPhone. (If you don't have the iPhone yet buy one of those too!). Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only factor is how long you're willing to wait to get your new computer.
                      Pretend he's in front of a shiny new iMac... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

OS X upgrades cost $129, so if you can't wait until October to buy a computer pre-loaded with the new OS (version 10.5 aka "Leopard"), this is how much more you'll have to pay to buy the computer now and upgrade later. So really, it's like there's a $129 tax on getting it now versus waiting it out. Just depends on how bad you wants it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thread creep alert: I'm starting to hear rumors of a new generation iPod, similar to the iPhone, coming out soon. Drool.
                          Yes. When iPhone was first demoed, this was speculated...now perhaps by year's end!
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yes. When iPhone was first demoed, this was speculated...now perhaps by year's end!
                            I'm feelin' September or October. iPod announcements often come in the fall in order to be ready for the holidays.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

Will these be banned by the USATF, too? Wink

Imminent Catastrophe

Will these be banned by the USATF, too? Wink
                                I hope not, I was planning to watch movies during races Clowning around